DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I currently have what I think is a pretty decent system in my Taurus SHO now. It is a 2 way setup with JL C5 5x7 and the C5 0.75” tweeter. When I picked my speakers I didn’t appreciate the frequency response would be limited for the tweeter and the mid bass would have to play higher (JL recommends crossovers set to 5KHz).

I’m now wondering if it would make sense to try throwing a mid range into the mix to make it a 3-way. My thoughts are it would bring the sound stage up and maybe make the sound stage wider? Would a 2”, 3” or 4” mid range be worth the investment? I know JL makes a C5 4” but it is really big to install and I’m thinking that’s a no. I could probably fit it in the center channel pocket in my Taurus (currently center CH is just disconnected). If I did the center though, my DSP doesn’t support upmixing stereo to center so I thinking that’s a no too. Maybe I’m chasing the CA dragon?

I’ve never made fiberglass enclosures so I would probably get one of those aluminum pods of the German EBay seller for whatever mids I would go with.

Here is a list of my other equipment in my car:
PAC AP4-FD21 (OEM with toslink into Rockford fosgate 3sixty.3 DSP
JL C5 570 component set (active)
JL HD 600/4 to power C5’s
JL 12W6V3 in 1.3 ft3 vented box. Tuned to 32 Hz
Boston Acoustics GT24 to power sub (900w AB amp)

I tuned my DSP on my own and input from others. I believe my time alignment is good and my EQ has a good house curve.

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you'll see a big improvement with a midrange or full range. Not sure what JL has in the 2-3 inch range but there are plenty of other popular drivers on the forum that folks have tried out.
Thanks for the reply. I’m open to other brands to. To stick with JL would be the C5 4” (too big) or go to the C7 3” (too expensive). I’m trying to keep my costs under 500 if possible. Skizer has Blam 3” signature for sale ($400)- that looks tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,206 Posts
I've mostly messed around with cheap raw drivers. Planning to install some scan 10F in the spring, they're pretty highly regarded. I'm sure the blam 3s are good if Nick says so. You could also look at CDT unity 8s if you need something a bit smaller.

· Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I’m open to other brands to. To stick with JL would be the C5 4” (too big) or go to the C7 3” (too expensive). I’m trying to keep my costs under 500 if possible. Skizer has Blam 3” signature for sale ($400)- that looks tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe Audiofrog gb25s since they’re 2.5” so not too big and also they are 500 on crutchfield which is pushing it but you could find a used pair on here pretty easily.

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3” diameter circle for reference
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part
Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

I think I’m going to have to learn how to do fiberglass. Are the sail panels a good place for midrange? I like the idea of the GB25 to.

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
it looks like the Mid's would fit better in the A-Pillars (where the Tweeters currently are) and then put the Tweeters in the Sails, as it does not look there is much depth there...

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it looks like the Mid's would fit better in the A-Pillars (where the Tweeters currently are) and then put the Tweeters in the Sails, as it does not look there is much depth there...
I think I will run into depth issues and maybe not have enough surface area without building something up by using the pillars. Either way with the sail panel I will have to build that up somehow to with fiberglass. One other thought is to see if I can fit one of those aluminum pods (German ebay guy) up by the corner of the windshield and be mounted on axis.

One other thought is to go with a smaller speaker yet. Like a 2" driver. It just sounds silly to have a 2" and 0.75" tweeter... sounds not worth it at that point.

This got more complex than I thought lol.

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I made cutouts of the GB25 and referenced dimensions from Crutchfield installation details. I don’t think this is going to work unless I redo my pillars for the gb25 and C5 tweet.

Cloud Sky Hood Mirror Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Steering part

Hand Car Vehicle Sky Hood

Vehicle Car Automotive design Hood Motor vehicle

I had a thought about locating it here but it’s too big.
Car Automotive lighting Hood Steering part Motor vehicle

I wanted to ask If I’m overlooking any other options.

thanks

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe Unity 8 instead
I hadn’t heard of unity 8 but I see nothing but positive feedback. I got dimensions from them and printed it out. It looks like it could go in either location. What would be the better choice? I think overall the sail panels would be better with some fiberglass.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Azure Steering part

Hood Automotive tire Steering part Automotive design Car

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Update: This past weekend I found a deal on some JL C7 midrange and tweeters. I kind of jumped into it but I thought I'd try to make it all work. I figured keeping the JL C5 5x7 for midbass would be fine and would blend fine into the C7's.

Here are some pictures of the trim rings next to the sail panel and A pillar. I'm thinking my best bet will be to mount in the sail panel. This way I won't have to fiberglass my A pillars - just my sails. I will swap out the 0.75" C5 tweeter for the 1.00" C7 tweeter in the A pillar and keep it off axis.

Vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive mirror Automotive side-view mirror

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

What is everyone's thoughts on the mid range being on axis but the tweeters off axis? The tweeters would be crossed approximately at 4KHz so I wouldn't have to worry too about beaming. Is the windshield still a concern?
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

When I get some time I will try to get some rags/towels behind the speakers and try out some different placements. Any tips for holding speakers in place temporarily?

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did some more research on speaker placement. The census that I could find was mounting one set on axis and one set off axis was not good. I got some tests going with the towels. Here are some pictures:
Hood Window Automotive design Automotive lighting Textile

Just having these here I was surprised how much more sound information can be on the dash. I am looking forward to getting this complete.

I was doing some more research and came across the eBay seller valicar stuttgart. There wasnt anything bad to be said about his pods on the forum here. I’m going to get pods with the adjustable ball joint. I believe this will be lots easier than fiberglass. I like how I can adjust my placement too. I plan to mount everything similar to my pictures above.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
My mids are mounted on-axis and the tweeters (next to them) are off-axis and they sound amazing!

· Registered
2018 Taurus SHO
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.