DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little bit about my most recent set up first, then about what I've changed. For about a year now I've had an xtrons touchscreen hu, factory bose speakers, 2 comp r 12s 500rms each powered by a 600rms kicker mono amp. All sounded fine even though I know the subs were underpowered. Month ago I replaced the amp with the skar 2000 mono. Again all sounded fine. Just recently I upgraded my 12s with 2 skar evl at 1250rms each. The issue im having is when i turn my volume to the max, 23/30, I've always used, all my speakers clip a little when a hard part of the song plays. By hard I mean heavy bass, drums...a lot of different sounds play at once lol. Kinda stumped bc i don't think the amp isn't drawing any more power than before, I haven't changed anything except whats in my trunk so why are my speakers affected. Any feedback would be appreciated

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are the factory speakers amplified or are they powered by the head unit?
Sounds to me you are clipping/maxxing out the factory speakers simply put.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theyre only powered by the hu. The reason I didn't jump to the conclusion of that being the problem is bc they've always been powered by the hu and I've never had an issue. But when I upgraded whats in my trunk they started acting up

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Are there factory speakers in the rear deck? If so, it could be the pressure in the trunk from the subs pushing the rear deck speakers past their excursion limits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes but its the rear doors I notice most. There's tweeters mounted at the tops of all 4 door panels. I notice it doesn't do it when my subs are off. I have a s500 benz and theyre known for not allowing air to travel from the trunk to the cabin. I may need to remove some more of my rear deck. I'm leaning towards cabin pressure and or insufficient power somewhere

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
you went from 600watts to 2000. what is the voltage doing on those hits? if it is sagging, then that is your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes sense. I can check later. Climate control unit has a menu that allows me to read voltage. What would be a fix for that if that is the problem

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Makes sense. I can check later. Climate control unit has a menu that allows me to read voltage. What would be a fix for that if that is the problem
the voltage reading prolly wont tell you. those hits are instantaneous. only a DMM with a fast readout would tell you. do the headlights dim?

assuming the charging system is up to the task, just make sure you have large enough main and ground wire. I wouldnt go with anything smaller than 0GA for 2kW. next step is upgrade the alternator.

I'll be honest, not a fan of Skar though. I wonder how close to 2kW that amp does for real. maybe Clamp it and see what kind of current it is pullling

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the voltage reading prolly wont tell you. those hits are instantaneous. only a DMM with a fast readout would tell you. do the headlights dim?

assuming the charging system is up to the task, just make sure you have large enough main and ground wire. I wouldnt go with anything smaller than 0GA for 2kW. next step is upgrade the alternator.

I'll be honest, not a fan of Skar though. I wonder how close to 2kW that amp does for real. maybe Clamp it and see what kind of current it is pullling
Earlier I order 0ga power n ground wire, 2.5 farad capacitor and a 200 amp fuse. Supposed to be here Monday. Til then ill keep the volume down as much as I have to lol. Don't know if my lights dim, find that out tonight. Hopefully the heavier wire and capacitor will do the trick bc i don't wanna put out the money for a bigger alternator

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

No lights are dimming. Noticed only certain songs with certain notes clip at high volumes though

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your new 2k amp is pulling more current from your stock alternator n electrical system, AND your new subs are going lower then the Comps, which is demanding more power from the amp, which again is demanding more power from the electrical system.
You gotta Pay to Play. Invest in an HO alt! Then you won't have dimming lights, premature clipping, fried audio gear, or worse fried vehicle electronics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts