DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler. I upgraded all speakers to JL C5-650, added the JL Stealthbox, and powered this with JL HD900/5. The stock HU is feeding a AudioControl LC6i. I am sending F/R and Sub line level signals to the LC6i, and then sending this to the amp - no signal summing.

Overall, the sound is OK, but not great at low volume. Mid-bass seems unevenly balanced between main speakers and the sub. I am assuming this is because I am still running the factory EQ setup since the LC6i doesn't do any processing.

I am considering 3 options and would love some feedback.

1. Replace the LC6i with a PAC-Audio line out processor and send the 4 full range signals straight to the amp. Let the amp, handle all the crossover functions.

2. Replace the LC6i with the JBL MS-8 and let the MS-8 do the summing and recreate the 5 channels.

3. Do both: Add the PAC-Audio and send that full range signal to the MS-8.

Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also have a LC6i and I am not happy with it either.

I will be moving to a PAC LOC harness and then i think im going to add a Audio control EQS.

You shouldn't need any signal summing unless your wrangler has a factory amplifier. If you are just getting leads off your headunit, you dont need any summing.

I am also using a JL amp. which has the function of creating the bass channel at the amp when switched to 4 channel mode, prolly similar to yours. The MS8 would do basically the same thing, but you could control the signal and tweak it however you like.

I would love to get an MS8. the one thing I dont like about the ms8, is it had a seperate volume knob. My truck has steering wheel controls that i like to use, so I want to keep them. It is a nice piece of hardware though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I saw your post after I made mine. I do have some sort of factory amp. So, I end up with 5 channels going to the LC6i. I don't think there is anything wrong with the LC6i, it is just that it can't sum the sub in to the front AND rears. You can sum all 5 signals in to the "Main", but then you lose fader control.

I believe you can set the volume on the MS-8 and leave it alone and then use factory HU volume control.

The thing I guess I don't get is if the PAC LOC is doing something that the LC6i is not. i.e. Is the PAC grabbing a pre-processed signal, or is it just grabbing the same thing the LC6i is seeing and summing them together?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Just FYI, it isn't necessary to use the volume control that is integral to the MS-8. You can still use your HU volume control, on the steering wheel or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, is it better to send the MS-8 the factory signals and let it do the work or to send it a processed signal from a LOC like PAC?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just FYI, it isn't necessary to use the volume control that is integral to the MS-8. You can still use your HU volume control, on the steering wheel or not.
yea i was told the same thing with my JL audio cleansweep and if i moved my hu volume knob....it threw off all the eq built into the cleansweep and mad it sound terrible. Tons of hiss and just bad sounding tunes.

obviously the MS8 is a little more product thant he Cleansweep, but im just unsure.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
So, is it better to send the MS-8 the factory signals and let it do the work or to send it a processed signal from a LOC like PAC?
In my opinion its way better to send it to the MS8. Also the volume control on the ms8 will not throw off your tune, so you can easily use your head unit to control the global volume as long as you remember around what point you will cause clipping....

·
Registered
205 Posts
In my opinion its way better to send it to the MS8. Also the volume control on the ms8 will not throw off your tune, so you can easily use your head unit to control the global volume as long as you remember around what point you will cause clipping....
i think i may skip getting the audiocontrol EQS and save for the MS8....thanks for the info quietfly.

p.s. sorry to threadjack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts