DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
As mentioned, a 6x9 is not necessarily going to reduce sound quality at all, especially when used as a midbass with a tweeter. Mostly 6x9's get a bad rep because they have traditionally been gimmicky coax speakers with 2,3, or even 4 "tweeters" in them. A well made component 6x9, especially when used as a midbass, will be every bit as good as a 6.5", but will have better low end response due to more cone area. A 6x9 does have a different dispersion pattern on the wide side than the narrow side, but that's really not a big deal at all, especially at lower frequencies.

That PAC piece is as good as it gets if you insist on keeping the OEM head unit. I've never seem measurements of the signal, but I wouldn't expect it to be particularly bad. I'm betting the signal is pretty flat, clean, and fullrange, but even if it's not perfect what other choice do you have? Replace the OEM head unit, or use the PAC interface.
If your goal is to build around a 6x9, sure, it can be done. But few people ever do that because it's unnecessarily difficult. You typically only see it because of sponsored builds. And if we're just talking dedicated midbass drivers now, we're already into a totally different conversation.

I don't really want to keep the OEM source unit, but it's needed to control much of the heating/cooling, car diagnostics, etc. It can't be removed. It can be replaced with an alternative or an independent setup can be installed. I have yet to see an alternative unit worth 5 seconds of my time. And and independent setup is tough because i still lose a lot of functionality of the vehicle, such as blind spot warning, diagnostic tones, backup warning tones, steering wheel controls, etc. And of course it's particularly tight with all the gadgetry in my vehicle, so finding somewhere to put the damn deck would be a challenge alone. So i was hoping that this PAC audio device was able to output a decent enough signal to be used for a SQ-esq build. I don't expect it to match the 5V pre-outs from my 80prs or the 8V from my old Eclipse deck or God forbid a McIntosh, but I was hoping at least for something respectable... Something far exceeding line out quality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
1. The $250 PAC unit with give you a CLEAN signal from your headunit just like an aftermarket would. I have run one and a few others in this thread have/are running one. I had a '14 Grand Cherokee with the Alpine "premium" system in it. The signal was just as clean as any basic aftermarket headunit would give.

2. The Audiofrog gs690 is the real deal. I would put it up against ANY 8" midbass/midrange driver in the same price range for QUALITY midbass AND the way it's angled in the GC/Durango it has the beaming pattern of a 6". It's also a GREAT midrange driver that will CLEANLY hand off to any lower playing tweeter. The gs/gb10 tweeters drop right into the stock sail locations with very little trimming needed and look MORE STOCK than the stock tweeters!

3. WE'RE TRYING TO HELP YOU. Sorry if we're not telling you what you want to hear. If you don't want our help with options that will fit your needs better than you think they will than don't ask for it!

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
...it's even more annoying when people attempt to school me on a topic which i know far more about than them...

Oh then please do carry on.

I'll take my full-active, 3-way 10 channel DSP'd, lowly 6x9 system with me.

PAC or the Phoenix unit, there were your options.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Actually OP, do what you want. Those of us on here who have loads of experience with the GC/Durango don't have a clue about what can be done with them and we sure don't know what good sound is since most of us are using the gs690 in them:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
You must learn to read all posts before commenting

And yes, irregular speakers do not reproduce sound well. You can deny it all your want, but that doesn't make it not true. Go ahead and try to find Audiophile grade components that aren't round. Go to any SQ comp and see what they run. They don't run 6x9s, 5x7s, 4x10s, etc.

Believe it or not, they reproduce sound better than perfectly round speakers. The reason for this is the shape of the cone helps minimize cone breakup at higher frequency. The only downside is a differing iff axis response which can actually be beneficial if placed the right way. They just arent popular because not many cars use oval sizes and they arent used ANYWHERE else in audio industries so manufacturering them would be expensive for little reason. But, high end companies (scanspeak in particular) are starting to use elliptical voice coils for the exact reason above. Helps stabilize the cone and reduce breakup. That said, get the pac amp pro. Also get the digital output piece for it and go digital into a processor. The analog outputs on it have a slight bit of hiss

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Believe it or not, they reproduce sound better than perfectly round speakers. The reason for this is the shape of the cone helps minimize cone breakup at higher frequency. The only downside is a differing iff axis response which can actually be beneficial if placed the right way. They just arent popular because not many cars use oval sizes and they arent used ANYWHERE else in audio industries so manufacturering them would be expensive for little reason. But, high end companies (scanspeak in particular) are starting to use elliptical voice coils for the exact reason above. Helps stabilize the cone and reduce breakup. That said, get the pac amp pro. Also get the digital output piece for it and go digital into a processor. The analog outputs on it have a slight bit of hiss

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That pretty well sums it up.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
The point of all this oval talk, btw, OP, is to get you off your high horse and realize we're just as smart as you, and able to speak with you on your level if you'd just set your eyes level instead of trying to look down on everyone that is donating their time to respond to you.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
You must learn to read all posts before commenting

I see why your post count is so little and your chip so big... :p

If your goal is to build around a 6x9, sure, it can be done. But few people ever do that because it's unnecessarily difficult.
You are wrong again (at least in this context). In the GC that you have, anything BUT a 6x9 is unnecessarily difficult. So if you would stop talking about how much you know, and start reading, listening and researching a bit, you might learn something that will amaze you!

Fyi, I have far more experience building a sound quality system in a FCA vehicle then you do, so get over yourself.

On a more friendly note: pm me your address. I bought you a t-shirt and I'd like to send it to you so we can be friends. :D

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
If your goal is to build around a 6x9, sure, it can be done. But few people ever do that because it's unnecessarily difficult. You typically only see it because of sponsored builds. And if we're just talking dedicated midbass drivers now, we're already into a totally different conversation.

I don't really want to keep the OEM source unit, but it's needed to control much of the heating/cooling, car diagnostics, etc. It can't be removed. It can be replaced with an alternative or an independent setup can be installed. I have yet to see an alternative unit worth 5 seconds of my time. And and independent setup is tough because i still lose a lot of functionality of the vehicle, such as blind spot warning, diagnostic tones, backup warning tones, steering wheel controls, etc. And of course it's particularly tight with all the gadgetry in my vehicle, so finding somewhere to put the damn deck would be a challenge alone. So i was hoping that this PAC audio device was able to output a decent enough signal to be used for a SQ-esq build. I don't expect it to match the 5V pre-outs from my 80prs or the 8V from my old Eclipse deck or God forbid a McIntosh, but I was hoping at least for something respectable... Something far exceeding line out quality.

Voltage output isn't particularly important either. The amp gains are used to match the input voltage, you don't need crazy high input voltage for great sound quality. Low input voltage may make it more important to find an amp with a low noise floor, since you'll need to use more gain than you with with a higher input voltage, but the sound quality won't be affected as long as your amps stay quiet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The point of all this oval talk, btw, OP, is to get you off your high horse and realize we're just as smart as you, and able to speak with you on your level if you'd just set your eyes level instead of trying to look down on everyone that is donating their time to respond to you.
As i already explained, you guys set things off on the wrong path by taking zero time to actually read anything i wrote and then began acting superior to me. So don't try flipping it around the other way. You know you fucked up by not taking the time to read my damn post, and you know how annoying that shit is just like I do.

Now clearly this has just become a tribal thing that will go nowhere, so this is pointless to continue as I'm not getting much actual useful info here. Just a bunch of people who want to attack me and reiterate their talking points which I've already stated I'm not interested in hearing about. You like your speakers... Cool. I don't want your speakers. It should have ended there.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
As i already explained, you guys set things off on the wrong path by taking zero time to actually read anything i wrote and then began acting superior to me. So don't try flipping it around the other way. You know you fucked up by not taking the time to read my damn post, and you know how annoying that shit is just like I do.

Now clearly this has just become a tribal thing that will go nowhere, so this is pointless to continue as I'm not getting much actual useful info here. Just a bunch of people who want to attack me and reiterate their talking points which I've already stated I'm not interested in hearing about. You like your speakers... Cool. I don't want your speakers. It should have ended there.

It seems that maybe you're the one not reading our posts.

The PAC interface you are looking at has been explained. It will give you a flat, clean, fullrange output, which is what you need. The low voltage isn't a problem, as long as you don't have noisy amps. Due to this, your sound quality will start off every bit as good as any other flat, fullrange signal. What you do (or don't do) with it after that with a DSP is what will matter.

You don't have to use a 6x9, but saying that have worse sound quality is just wrong. There are plenty of crappy 6x9's out there, admittedly more bad than good, but the shape of the speaker isn't what's holding them back. A 6x9 can give similar midbass to an 8" speaker, while oftentimes fitting just as easily as a 6.5".

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I feel like mods should lock this thread because it's not going to go anywhere good. The OP obviously doesn't want our help.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I feel like mods should lock this thread because it's not going to go anywhere good. The OP obviously doesn't want our help.
You can't help someone if they already know everything... He was a dick from his first response (post #3), too.

There should be a sub-forum for the OP, Kountz and K-pop - the "know-it-all" guys (just to name a few).

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
You can't help someone if they already know everything... He was a dick from his first response (post #3), too.

There should be a sub-forum for the OP, Kountz and K-pop - the "know-it-all" guys (just to name a few).

sure, take em to www.gtfo.com or something. (that's not a real site I don't think, just follow the acronym)

·
Registered
86 Posts
No worries here,when he searches high and low endlessly for months for another solution and find nothing exists,then has to revert back to the PAC or similar after wasting all his time,I'll sit here smiling while in the back of his mind he'll be reminded of all the know it all's here who were right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
At the risk of bringing down the OP's wrath by not answering correctly with what he wants-the amp pro (ap4-ch41) is supposed to be able to output a 20-20,000 signal, a user selectable output voltage (4 or 5 volts), bypass any factory applied EQing, and gives the user the ability (although minor) to adjust the frequency and Q on the 3 band Eq on the ucconect head unit. I think the limiting factor is if the Ucconect head unit can actually put out a 20hz-20kz signal to begin with. That's not up to the PAC's module. It can't give you something that's not there to begin with. I've researched this because I'm getting one (revision 2 will now work with non Alpine/HK 8.4 Uconnect like the one I have).

And if you can wait, they're coming out with a radio replacement module and dash kit that won't lose any features you have to use Ucconect to access. The model number is pac audio rpk4-ch4103. You won't find it in a search because they haven't released it yet-I got the model number from a Five Star YouTube video of upcoming PAC stuff. They talk about the Ford version, but if you look close and freeze a frame, you can see the box for the Jeep version sitting under box for the Durango version. I have no idea of a release date, but it's coming and the kit on the box looks like it came from factory. I know they're coming out with a RAM and Durango version too. Also, PAC replied to a comment I posted on another video showcasing the Ford Version. I asked if they would show some love to us JGC owners and they told me it was coming.

I hope that helps at least someone that may look at this post, even if not the OP.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I believe SkizeR answered everything perfectly and politely. I didn't quote his answer, so OP can just read the thread to find it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh, I agree with you. (especially on the whole 6x9 debate). I was just adding my 2 cents--more for the people like me who come across this post trying to research the same stuff. The people here were trying to help the OP and share their experience and his response came across like he was blankety blank. Apparently either he doesn't realize this or he really is a blankety blank in life. I don't mean to offend anyone (especially on this forum, lol).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Oh, I agree with you. (especially on the whole 6x9 debate). I was just adding my 2 cents--more for the people like me who come across this post trying to research the same stuff. The people here were trying to help the OP and share their experience and his response came across like he was blankety blank. Apparently either he doesn't realize this or he really is a blankety blank in life. I don't mean to offend anyone (especially on this forum, lol).
Oh, that wasn't aimed at you, just a shot at the OP.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts