DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my midbass in my 2010 MBZ E350. I currently have the RE Triple X 6.5C component set, but I want stronger midbass. It is powered by a RF Punch getting 180 watts per channel into 2ohms.

I picked up a set of JBL C608GTI's since they had the best reviews for mibass. The RE set is 2 ohms and the JBL set is 4 ohms. Which of the following would yield the best results for producing strongest midbass and overall cleanest sound:

1. Swap the JBL608GTI mid driver in the RE Triple X6.5C set, leaving in place the RE tweets and crossover network. ( Not sure if this is advisable given the difference in impedance)

2. Replace the entire RE set with the JBL set including mids, tweets, and x-overs. My current Punch amp would deliver 108 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

3. Upgrade the amp to the RF Power T600 and keep the RE's and just boost the power to 236 watts per channel into 2ohms.

4. Upgrade to the T600 amp and swap the RE's for the JBL set and supplying 140 watts per channel into 4ohms.

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking to upgrade my midbass in my 2010 MBZ E350. I currently have the RE Triple X 6.5C component set, but I want stronger midbass. It is powered by a RF Punch getting 180 watts per channel into 2ohms.

I picked up a set of JBL C608GTI's since they had the best reviews for mibass. The RE set is 2 ohms and the JBL set is 4 ohms. Which of the following would yield the best results for producing strongest midbass and overall cleanest sound:

1. Swap the JBL608GTI mid driver in the RE Triple X6.5C set, leaving in place the RE tweets and crossover network. ( Not sure if this is advisable given the difference in impedance)

2. Replace the entire RE set with the JBL set including mids, tweets, and x-overs. My current Punch amp would deliver 108 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

3. Upgrade the amp to the RF Power T600 and keep the RE's and just boost the power to 236 watts per channel into 2ohms.

4. Upgrade to the T600 amp and swap the RE's for the JBL set and supplying 140 watts per channel into 4ohms.

Appreciate any input. Thanks.
What kind of door treatments have you done?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Where in Cali are you? You may have to step up a bit in price to get better mid bass, no $100 pair of mid bass can deliver, they start at double that to really start to get the sound you may like.

I'm considering selling a couple of sets I have, Morel Hybrid Ovation complete component set with bi ampable crossovers and a set of Hertz HSK midbass.
I can demo locally assuming you are willing to come close to my area

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not looking to spend any additional $$'s. I already have the equipment so only evaluating the options I posted.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Not looking to spend any additional $$'s. I already have the equipment so only evaluating the options I posted.

The jbl set is a 2-3 ohm set and may get the most power from any amp. Still none of your options may significantly improve midbass even after properly deadening the door, being a speaker upgrade install 101.

A sound processor will also allow more output and performance of any driver you select over a passive xover network due to cleaner higher output and improved bi ampable power

Can't have everything without upgrading a few items and good tuning. And the marginal improvement from the choices listed, will not get quite close to the performance of more expensive quality drivers with good power and active sound processing.

There have been several threads of new members listing " what is my best option" A B C or D.

And get no responses since the op is not open to more and different options or options offered are rejected.

The best suggestion I can offer is, try what you think will work better, sometimes try 2 or 3 of the options, with what you have before buying another set and use as much power you have available to get the most benefit from good tuning, all of this after door install 101, and a subwoofer to fill up the lower frequencies below 80hz that smaller drivers can't accurately play well. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Al, thanks for the suggestion. The sound is currently processed through a JBL MS-8. I should have described the rest of my system. I also have a RF T-1000bd amp powering two baby dubs (8w7's) for the bass. I have a pair of 2 ohm rear door coaxes for rear fill.

I'm leaning toward upgrading the 4 channel amp to begin with to the T-600-4, which has 236 x 4 rms per its birthsheet spec. Hopefully that will satiate my appetite for midbass.

If not, a fifth option I am considering is adding another amplifier and a passenger footwell mounted shallow mount 8 inch driver bandpassed for midbass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts