DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is pretty much my first post on these forums, so try to take it easy. I've learned a little bit about car audio, but i'm by no means fluent in the language...i know these threads are tiring, but i've been doing A LOT of searching, and in some cases i just can't find what i need because millions of results come up.

I just installed my first system. I didn't have much choice in the items, as the sub was given to me for free (JL W0), and I found an awesome deal on a JL300/4, which i'm using to power the w0 and the front speakers (stock). I have a pioneer deh-p7000ub head unit up front.

My first setup was mainly to try and learn more about car audio and everything involved, but as it turns out i didn't end up learning as much as i would've hoped. Anyways, I am now looking for a set of components that will take over the JL 300/4, and a new sub and amp. My goal is SQL with 60sq/40spl.

My budget for the set of components is around $250 for a used set.

As for the sub, I may have found a few JBL w12GTI mkII's for about $100 each. I'm planning on only going with one (but i may pick up 1 or 2 extra ;) ). My problem with using one GTi sub is that its a D6 bc, which means i'd have to run it at 3 ohms if I understand this impedance thing correctly. The sub is rated I believe 700rms/4000peak. I only have stock electrical on a mazda 3, so i'm not planning on going over 1000w rms.

Could anyone please give me a few suggestions on amps that would work well with the GTi?

I've also seen a few deals for 10/12w6's and 10/12w7's and such. How would these compare to the JBL?

I'm also looking at the IDMAX 12 and IDQ12. I hear the idmax is more SPL SQL and the IDQ is just SQL. is this true?

I'd also appreciate other suggestions in regards to different sub/amp combos. I'd prefer to by use and my budget for the sub and amp would be around 5-600, but i'd rather not spend that much. My first priority however is getting a new front stage, so recommendations for that would be greatly appreciated as well.

my preference for sound is that i'm after SQ. I want clear vocals and I want to be able to hear every changing note. I want to hear things i've never heard in songs before. I don't like harsh tweeters. I want clarity and tonal definition if that makes any sense at all. I listen to reggae and rap mostly.

i know the best way to find out what i like is to LISTEN at stores, but around my area there are no dealers that sell the higher end audio, so i must rely on the opinions of experienced audioheads.

i've heard that morel tweeters are harsh, so i guess i'll stay away from those.

i've read up on the ID cxs64's and they've gotten good reviews and their profile seems like it would fit my needs.

some say rainbow slc's are harsh as well, but i've also heard they're amazing components. could anyone clarify for me?

the hertz hsk 165's come to mind also.

has anyone heard the JL c5 components? or whatever their newest highend set is? I'd love to get some opinions on those as well.

As you can see, I AM TOTALLY LOST. someone please be nice and save me!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Actually, you seem to be on the right track.

My suggestion to you is to find a JL 500/1 for the sub. That amp paired with a 300/4 will run just about any basic system very well. The added benefit is the variable impedance capability of the slash amps - the 500/1 will run that JBL sub @ 3 ohms at full power. Do your homework and build a proper enclosure, and you will be in good shape in the sub department.

The highs will require more research. If at all possible, audition as many different speakers as you can in order to determine what sounds good to you, and try not to pay too much attention to one-off comments about specific products. Beyond that, look for items that have positive reviews from a wide variety of people.

Also, don't cheap out on the wiring. Use the right gauge power wire for your amps, get some decent twisted pair RCAs and be pay meticulous attention to the installation details. Start researching sound dampening materials & application. Ask intelligent questions, and above all, have fun with this!

*Oh, and there is no such thing as SQL :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input and all the advice! Greatly appreciate it.

My main question is basically would the JL 500/1 push the JBL hard enough? The sub is rated at 700wRMS, and I'm doubting that my electrical is letting my amp put out its rated power.

I've done LOTS of research on speakers, but obviously, nothing compares to hearing them in person, which is extremely hard for me (work full time and go to school full time).

For components; i've looked at the following:
PPI 365cs
SPX-17PRO/REF -- what's the difference in sound between these?
Rainbow SLC 6.5's or CMX?
Maybe Germaniums? Would these blow the other speakers i'm mentioning out of the water?
ID CTX65cs vs ID CXS64 -- what's the difference?
Pioneer C720PRS
Polk SR6500
CDT ES-620
Hertz HSK 165

Bolded are ones i'm a little more interested in, but that's only based on my VERY limited knowledge.

Could any of you that have experience with any of the above mentioned components give me some input? what is the tonal quality/characteristics like on each these sets? is the tweeter harsh? i don't expect anyone to have experience with them all, but if you've used one or two of them, tell us how they compare and the above characteristics please!

I know this is a LONG list of choices, but as i said, i'm lost. If i could understand what each parameter of a speaker means in layman terms, I could figure out a lot more on my own. but unfortunately, my audio lingo isn't up to par yet. which parameters should i look for in a speaker, and what do they tell me? does anyone have a nice informational link so i can read up on it on my own?

I'm running a 300/4, would any of these need more power than what that would provide?

Sound deadener is definitely a priority as well; I plan on installing the speakers and deadener at the same time...(hopefully all will go well...still noobish on installs. lol.)

·
Registered
784 Posts
I haven't heard many of those listed, but in regards to Morel's being harsh I'm not sure where you read that, but that couldn't be any further from the truth. Morels are probably some of the smoother more forgiving speakers on the market, but that doesn't mean they aren't detailed, they have excellant detail resolution and tone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm..that sounds very much like what I'm looking for. I also want good midbass to keep up with the sub, and overall i don't want the sub to overpower the speakers or vice versa. i know that some say "SQ" is having a perfectly blended sound stage, which is what i would ultimately like (but not at the same level as competitors/audiophiles), but i also want to be able to feel the sound vibrating inside my chest and rattling my brain at times, hence why i used the term "SQL". don't flame me!

·
Registered
169 Posts
hertz are supposedly REAL nice but the only place i can find them is a local dealer and i'm not paying retail.

i just got the rainbow slc kick components (purely on reputation) but havent installed yet. the kick versions have a bit more midbass but must be crossed over at 80hz. in the end i dont have anything to directly compare them to.

i was gonna get germaniums but i'm putting together a basic system like you so i figure 600$ for components was not worth it. i'm using factory mounting locations so I was told i would waste my money on germanium line if i cant really fine-tune my setup

remember you dont have to run power hungy subs. it sounds like you have a budget and i know it becomes easy to 'just spend another 100$ here and another 100$ there...

i assume you are thinking of running your amp 4 channel to fronts and rears. most people would suggest not running rears (or run factory rears off the headunit at very low volume) this way you could bridge and 150w to each component, now we have many more component sets to choose from. 75w is a bit short on power for most comp sets out there. you can always turn a 160w rms amp down so it maxes out around 100w rms if you need to , but you cant go UP from 75

you can also get a less power hungry sub and still get good results. this then makes the amp less expensive too. like a 250/1 or 300/2 (bridged). this would also lessen the strain on your charging system. i'm sure many members here would have a suggestion for a nice 10" SQ sub that is around 300w rms.

i have started an install log here, doing basically what you are but with just a bit more power

EDIT: take your time and plan it all out. this is my 4th stereo install and i'm still learning some basics and getting great tips from this site

1 - 6 of 6 Posts