DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 NVXvad2 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Thinking about maybe selling my 900/5 and HDP5 and making room for two Lanna 6 channels. I know many feel that one can’t hear any difference between a solid class D vs a good A/B but the Lannas seem to be calling me. I really like how they’re bare bones sq amps with no crossovers, switches or really anything other than gains, which are independent to each of the six channels.

New HD 900/5’s are going for $1,500 now and I could probably get a decent enough amount for it to make it worth selling. Or keep it as this post is about the Lanna’s. I’m not even sure if the Hertz HDP5 is worth the trouble to sell but again, whatever.

First thing is fitting two 25”x9” A/B amps, without measuring I think I can fit each one in the rear seat footwells in a tasteful mdf box that would be finished with matching automotive carpet effectively concealing them, protecting them and allowing for a professional mostly hidden wire routing like I’ve always wanted.

These things seem beastly, 250x6 @2ohm of very clean power for $599 wowzers. Seems like the pinnacle of versatile, having set of these amps with a total of 12 channels with two on each bridged for 500w to each UM12, dare I say “endgame” amps? Would they actually do 250x6? I would never use much more than 800w each with my current setup but having a gain control for each channel leads me to think possibly 6 power supplies? Either way only 3 out of the six channels would ever be asked to do 250w a midbass and bridged subwoofer. If I eventually decided to try multiple midbass drivers by adding a second set of Epiques in the rear doors I would have a whole nuther [email protected] I would always have a fairly heavy hitting spare channel on the left and right.

This can be debated and it’s not the reason for the interest but I would also have completely separated left and right.

There’s a handful of little questions in the thread but the major question is would this amp do all of [email protected] and run my subwoofer stage as well as the subwoofer channel on my 900/5? Is this amp a true to form sq beast?

Oh, some of y’all will remember my post about having trouble running my 1,000w inverter. I think it’s different with power hungry amps because I rarely ever pound my system so the actual draw would be much less than running an inverter charging powerful tool batteries for hours on end and I only charge so heavily during about 6 weeks out of the year.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I heard these amp have some issues. Hopefully they fixed them.. but majority of the Kina Amos were bad a created lots of static noise.
My friend had 2 of them, both were doing the same thing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard these amp have some issues. Hopefully they fixed them.. but majority of the Kina Amos were bad a created lots of static noise.

Interesting, I’ll definitely be investigating this.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Interesting, I’ll definitely be investigating this.
I know nothing about these amps.
But from experience not just in car audio. When you see things that are really really great being sold off....
You gotta ask why?
I have seen 3 or 4 Barbara Ann's in the classifieds in the past week or two.
Same thing with these hertz speakers you see. For q while there was like 5 guys that had higher end hertz sets In the classifieds. Multiple sets.
Now there is a thread where at least 3 people have the same issue with some kinda weird distortion where the driver measures all good. Rta and all.
My eagerness to experience new things has been quelled because of it.
I spend the extra and just get the goods to begin with.
Even the first round of HD amps from jl had some major issues.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

I also heard this as well.

Beyond that, I have a hard time believing you will hear a huge/any sound difference. I think we need to separate headroom vs sound quality. You may gain power/headroom but watt for watt, will you be able to hear a difference? I do believe you can hear a difference but that is among different price point amps. The 900/5 is a solid class D from a great company as far as amps. You are basically comparing a 1000 dollar class d vs a 500 class a/b. I dont think enough of a difference will pop up at those price points.

I also know that at this point, I am not willing to give up the space for surfboards when good class D amps are size of notebooks. This is also coming from a former JL slash user. I just dont want give up the footprint or the electrical for my old 300/4, 500/1 or Rockford 800a2s.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve searched the google and found nothing on the amp, like nothing. Some people talking about the Mike and Barbara models and some praise for the gentleman Mike who apparently holds street legend status from the days of orion being an awesome brand. And it’s just a little too long to fit behind the seats nicely and so far way to suspect to go through the trouble of rolling the dice.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I’ve searched the google and found nothing on the amp, like nothing. Some people talking about the Mike and Barbara models and some praise for the gentleman Mike who apparently holds street legend status from the days of orion being an awesome brand. And it’s just a little too long to fit behind the seats nicely and so far way to suspect to go through the trouble of rolling the dice.
For the price just grab a used 900/5

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The internals look pretty mid tier.. nothing special..

I would much rather get a used Zapco LX.. its one step below the 150.6AP - no crossovers also.. and i see them on facebook market place often for $600-800

With the Zapco LX Youre goinig to want a powerful source though like a Helix DSP (something with 6-8v on the RCAS).. they can have a noise floor with the gain turned up too high (any amp can) but I've heard people mention it.. their input sensitivity goes up to 8v.. so just figured I would mention it.. but they are built like a tank.. Nichicon caps.. LME49720 op amps.. basa$$ - Audiophile goodness. Just gotta have a good source.. but like i mentioned alot of amps are like that if you have a weak source. My zapco 150.4AP's were one of my absolute favorte amps ive ever owned.. really great sound..

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 8x12 is spec’d at 4.5v outputs. I subscribe to the camp that says power is power and as long as there’s no noise or other quality issues then most listeners couldn’t even begin to tell a difference between a soundstream picasso 100x4 and a alpine R 100x4. But it starts to become blurry to me when the listener has pretty good drivers in solid installations and otherwise clean signal chain. I’m only really willing do matching amps if I find something like the Dayton Audio brand that is super value driven. When I saw the specs on the Lannas I immediately thought of the Dayton reference line that gets you 80% there for very reasonable cash. A second HD900/5 would be the runner up as far as a versatile set of amps, just a hair behind a monster 6 channel that can run subwoofers.

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,087 Posts
I was the guy with two bad Lanna amps. The first was last year in the very first batch. They ended up having a bad batch that needed sent back.
When it worked properly it sounded amazing. Zero noise floor and damn it brought the midbass alive!

the second I got was a few months ago and I had a noise issue that turns out that it wasn’t the amp because I still had the same noise after I sent it back.

They can’t be beat for the price. Nothing comes close! Us acoustics is also easy to deal with if you have issues you can call and talk to Mike.
I bought mine from FI car audio and they are also easy to deal with and you can even Facebook message them and they respond rather quickly.

when I was talking to the owner of Fi about the Lanna we come to the conclusion that most people buying Us acoustics aren’t into sq so that’s why you don’t seepeople talking about the Lanna. The owner of FI also runs Lanna and also had the noise from the first batch. Once he had the issue and found it they sent them all back.

It’s build quality is better than 90% of the amps the DIYMA community runs. Much better than most Arc, mmats, Jl, and many others. Unless you prefer cheap rca connectors lol

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was the guy with two bad Lanna amps. The first was last year in the very first batch. They ended up having a bad batch that needed sent back.
When it worked properly it sounded amazing. Zero noise floor and damn it brought the midbass alive!

the second I got was a few months ago and I had a noise issue that turns out that it wasn’t the amp because I still had the same noise after I sent it back.

They can’t be beat for the price. Nothing comes close! Us acoustics is also easy to deal with if you have issues you can call and talk to Mike.
I bought mine from FI car audio and they are also easy to deal with and you can even Facebook message them and they respond rather quickly.

when I was talking to the owner of Fi about the Lanna we come to the conclusion that most people buying Us acoustics aren’t into sq so that’s why you don’t seepeople talking about the Lanna. The owner of FI also runs Lanna and also had the noise from the first batch. Once he had the issue and found it they sent them all back.

It’s build quality is better than 90% of the amps the DIYMA community runs. Much better than most Arc, mmats, Jl, and many others. Unless you prefer cheap rca connectors lol
Thanks for chiming in with your experience. Do you run two or one? You mentioned buying the first then later on getting another. And you’re currently running either one or two and you really like them eh? Do you think two channels bridged would run a subwoofer with a similar amount of steam as a good 500w mono block?
Seems a waste of engineering that the general buyers only want a cheap amp.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw a nice HD900/5 on ebay from a 100% seller for a grand so that direction would be very solid as well. I mean a second 900/5 would be the absolute safest bet being small, clean and efficient but at the same time un unique. As I stand currently my GS25’s and amps are the only mainstream “car audio” brands besides my headunit. On the other hand the 900/5 fits nicely beneath the front seats would save major amp relocation.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That brings up another point, my 900/5 is old. I’ve had it for at least 8 years and my brother ran it initially for about a year so we’re going on a possible decade. I realize that it’s a well built amp but how much life do you really get out of a ten year old amp used daily and heavily when I first got it?

I guess the issue that concerns me with getting a second 900/5 is how long my current one has. I could spend a g on a second one and a year down the road have my current one go out and then be in another g.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That brings up another point, my 900/5 is old. I’ve had it for at least 8 years and my brother ran it initially for about a year so we’re going on a possible decade. I realize that it’s a well built amp but how much life do you really get out of a ten year old amp used daily and heavily when I first got it?

I guess the issue that concerns me with getting a second 900/5 is how long my current one has. I could spend a g on a second one and a year down the road have my current one go out and then be in another g.
Font Parallel Number Rectangle Circle

300 bucks though and you can a brand new amp if something was to happen. 300 bucks man. Not bad.
Above is the current repair pricing for the hd900/5.
For an additional 60 they will throw you a new serial number on there.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 317398
300 bucks though and you can a brand new amp if something was to happen. 300 bucks man. Not bad.
Above is the current repair pricing for the hd900/5.
For an additional 60 they will throw you a new serial number on there.
Well that makes it very doable. What exactly is that list? What does the $300 cover?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well that makes it very doable. What exactly is that list? What does the $300 cover?
That is jl audios current repair list. The 300 dollars gets you a new amplifier on the inside. Same scuffs on the outside.
The only thing that would up the price is if they can't read the serial number.
It'll add an additional 60 bucks.
But other than that it's 300 bucks and when you get it back it like new. With a new 12 month warranty.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is jl audios current repair list. The 300 dollars gets you a new amplifier on the inside. Same scuffs on the outside.
The only thing that would up the price is if they can't read the serial number.
It'll add an additional 60 bucks.
But other than that it's 300 bucks and when you get it back it like new. With a new 12 month warranty.
Sweet, I appreciate you pointing that out 👍

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If I happen to decide to take the plunge and order a hd900/5 off ebay or something how do I protect myself from counterfeit JL? I feel like I’ve heard it’s a problem with the well known name brands.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts