DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what's up? These are two particular amps that i would love to add to my collection some day, yet barely ever see....the older US amps seem to be more rare than the Soundtreams! I don't particularly want to spend any money now on collectable stuff now...i have done that enough already over the years, however a polished '98 era USA200 or USA400 (had one new in box round 5 years ago and sold) i would kill for, as would a Soundstream reference Class A 6.0 NIB (3.0 would be swell too but i owned one and never the 6.0) but there ya go, 2 amps which are either extinct it seems or no one wants to let them go...anybody have these in their collections? :) This is def not a WTB add....i don't have enough posts or money to make a purchase now but am very curious if they are extinct now!! I see more art amps than these by far and they're older!:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
LoL!! That was awesome, i just got here and a bit too late but that's hella close...i have a soft spot for the 2 blue guys though 3.0 and 6.0! hahaa! I guess a USA200 or USA400 polished and definitely with the palm tree....that era! annnnnd a Reference Class A 3.0 or more so 6.0.....mint with box or best new in box.....i'm dreaming...it'll be a hell of long time untill i could afford such gems. I'm sure some of you guys have them i wouldn't let them go if ya do, especially the Soudnstreams hahaa!!

oh...and that NIB USA200 i had truly was the BEST SQ amp i ever heard....on my MB Quart reference components i had at the time (i had to hear it before i sold it) it was 110% crystal clear man oh man!

....back in '99 i did try a USA800 (yeah the quad power/ground 44" 400 amp fused 3,000 WRMS underated surfboard guy) for a day (borrowed LOL!!) on those same quart compnents and that was equally as clear....had no subs and wanted to say i ran one...and was hoping for largest amps on highs bragging rights hahaa! I knew if i wanted to i could launch the quarts out of the door with flaming cones if i desired lmao....no crossover just full range playing tons of classical to rock to anything i could audition! 800 WRMS at .006% THD per door was wonderful!!! Beautiful sound!!! Love the old US amps!!

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!! Wow!!! That hot at idle!! My class A 3.0, i ran it on highs and also to torture test it (it was physcially beat to hell from previous owner...looked like heck) would run that thing at probably 1/4 ohm mono into multiple low ohm subs..near clipping, often sending it into thermal rollback which was really neat all of a sudden you'd loose a step then a nother in volume....like half, then to quarter...but it would NEVER shut off, sometimes i'd lower volume and she'd hop back up to full power and keep running. You are totally right about it burning you if you touched it, i wish i had an IR thermometer back then!! It was as hot as an iron! As a matter of fact i had a huge 12 volt computer fan sitting motor side down on it with zip ties (beautiful install!! LoL) which pretty much covered the entire amp! just too keep it out of rollback. Man oldschool soundstreams were built like tanks! And i always had to open it up just to see the circuitry, the gorgeous blue boards and all those chassisink bolts and washers!!! I finally killed it accidentally by having a 8 gauge power wire slip out of my hand and onto a scraped paint area of its sink while wiring a Crossfire CFA404 4 channel and i started yelling all kinds of profanities LoL! I bet the Class A6.0 and those 5.0's or 10.0's are real beasts!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm running 2 reference 6.0's that I found recently. One was off a friend that has had it sitting in his closet since the 90's and the other from a craigslist add someone posted in the deals section. I am trying to find a third but haven't even seen a busted up one.

They do sound $^%$ sweet though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts