DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I will be hooking up a Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit to a set of outwardly amplified JL Audio ZR-650csi components and (2) JL Audio 10w1 subs. Should I use the quasi-active crossovers which came with the ZR-650's, which have 5 different settings for -4.5 - +1.5db tweeter level, and 4 generic settings for "midrange presence" labeled 1-4, low to high, in conjunction with the basic selectable high/low pass filters on my amp, which have -12db slope and the typical analog knob/dial frequency adjusment? Or should I use the 3-way active crossover network built in to the new DEH-80PRS head unit? I just look at all the heavy duty capacitors in this outboard crossover, and doubt the head unit has anything like that, so I wonder what advantages you gain and lose going both ways, head unit or speaker crossovers? In addition, I have looked all over for the crossover points and slopes for these zr-650 crossovers, and I cant find them anywhere. I would want to make sure they matched if I used the crossovers on the DEH-80PRS.

Thank you for your comments!

Michael

·
Registered
182 Posts
this is always a debated issue. jl engineers have already figured out whats' best fmro most installs but going active gives you full control over your crossover points for your install. i would search for topics about going active and read up on it be fore deciding

1 - 2 of 2 Posts