DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
what is the purpose of this post? not everyone has the greatest grammer, but this isn't a site for esl. this is a site for learning about mobile audio. nothing more.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks Andy. I was hoping someone would post some grammar tips on here. I feel that basic grammar is lacking in the American education system.

I did not learn proper grammar until I was studying mass communication in college.

Now, maybe we can post something about the proper use of who and whom or between versus among and various other common grammatical errors.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Puhleeze tracey, as if you have to ask that question. It is a site for communicating ideas.

Terrible grammAr = poor communication, and not an effective way of transferring knowledge.

If you are proud to be ignorant, that is your own personal issue.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Use who for subjects, whom for objects.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Much respect for Andy, but this should probably be Off Topic. Just my opinion, if our buddy Spencer would have posted this here, he would have been flamed and it would have been moved.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
To Whom it may concern,

Who is educating our children :p

We knew whom to blame for the missing pie; there was cream all over the dog's whiskers!

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I hate spelling/grammar/etc and always have, but I always read a lot. When I had to do a big paper every other week in college...for every class...I learned to write half way good. However I don't have time to fiddle on here and make all the posts I want, so I don't always do the best job speed typing this stuff in. I will agree I've seen some real slaughtering of the English written word on these sites that is just amazing. I hope those people can read a mic (micrometer) better than words, or something, because they will need it. All the non-retail idiot jobs that pay anything have moved to China....

·
Registered
751 Posts
"!!!'s" ;)

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The point of my post was to provide help to those who want it. Please note my careful choice of "want" rather than "need". Determining need requires passing judgement and I'm not judging anyone. I make my share of typos and I might respond graciously to someone who offered a suggestion that would be helpful in eliminating those errors.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The point of my post was to provide help to those who want it. Please note my careful choice of "want" rather than "need". Determining need requires passing judgement and I'm not judging anyone. I make my share of typos and I might respond graciously to someone who offered a suggestion that would be helpful in eliminating those errors.
thanks for the reply, andy. i didnt think you were judging. i just didn't think that post deserved to be on this site.

to capnxtreme - i sincerely hope you were joking. no, i do not take offense to your comment. say what you will. grammar is only as well interpreted as the person doing the interpretation is capable of. it really doesnt matter whether i use all lower case lettering, no punctuation, or improper spellings/ terms so long as i can (vaguely) get my point across. yes, proper grammar/ diction would help the masses, but it would be of little value to someone with a limited grasp of the language.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Language is a bit like the rules of the road. The rules provide predictability and ease. Every language has different rules and not knowing the rules is what makes it difficult to speak other languages. Practice is also important. The point is that if everyone would follow the rules, it would be much easier to understand and to respond appropriately.

Rittin kwesshuns usin yer on ruls puds thu berdun of the comunecaton un th pursn being askd to prvd th rewsna. eh ro ehs mit decid not 2 bothr.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts