DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of trying a large format tweeter, and these are the ones I am considering after reading reviews etc.

Dynaudio D260 (Esotec) - I loved the sound of the MD100s but found them somewhat "dark". The D260 is suppossed to have more air. The hard part is finding a pair since they are discontinued and sellers are asking for a premium.

Usher 9950-C - Supposedly the build house reverse engineered a Scan 9500 and then made their own tweaks to the design. NP Dang's review says it sounds similar to Dynaudio tweeters. Currently on sale at PE for $50/each.

Vifa XT25 - The Zaph audio reviews have this as one of the best large format tweeters at its price point. Also better than the small format XT25SC that is used in the Polk SR servies and mid-range Alpine series. A very reasonable $50/tweeter.

Peerless 810921 HDS - (Doesn't it sound like the name of a primetime drama series in Denmark similar to Beverly Hills 90210?) - I have read many good reviews about this tweeter. Some say its better than the Usher. A little pricier at $80/each.

I am also open to suggestions for any other ones that I have missed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the usher and Vifas. both excellent tweeters imho. the HDS is aparently very good too but i have no experience with it (lthough i've read in several places it has near equal performance to the hiquphons which are my favorite tweeters).

I'd push towards the Vifas if they can be aimed fairly on axis and the usher otherwise.
but i don't think you can go wrong with any one of those three. not sure if the dynaudio are even worth their regular price.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the usher and Vifas. both excellent tweeters imho. the HDS is aparently very good too but i have no experience with it (lthough i've read in several places it has near equal performance to the hiquphons which are my favorite tweeters).

I'd push towards the Vifas if they can be aimed fairly on axis and the usher otherwise.
but i don't think you can go wrong with any one of those three. not sure if the dynaudio are even worth their regular price.

Thanks. One of my friends installed the XT25s so I want to have an extended listening session in his car. I also picked up a pair of Dyn MD130s, the car version of the D260, so I will know soon enough how they sound. I frgot to grab a pair of Ushers while they were on sale. :( Oh well. They go on sale fairly regularly.

·
The Anti-Rice
2,525 Posts
Peerless HDS or Hiquphons are the way to go IMO
I hate it when people suggest stuff that they have never used or heard.....however with the way Mark goes through equipment you can bet this will never be the case with his suggestions.;)

and I concur.......I actually enjoy the HDS tweeters and am surprised with what they are capable of.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
LOL thanks Carl :D

I really liked the XT25s but only on axis with a very small sweet spot in my listening tests, not worth it when you have other options with a better off-axis responses.

I regret selling my Peerless HDS tweeters but currently looking for a set. I like to think of them as the cheap man's Hiquphon but more robust and "in your face" but not in the offensive way. Like the "air" of the Hiquphons but with body. I love my Hiquphons though and will never sell them.

Both are top notch and but they are different, it depends what you prefer.

·
The Anti-Rice
2,525 Posts
LOL thanks Carl :D

I really liked the XT25s but only on axis with a very small sweet spot in my listening tests, not worth it when you have other options with a better off-axis responses.

I regret selling my Peerless HDS tweeters but currently looking for a set. I like to think of them as the cheap man's Hiquphon but more robust and "in your face" but not in the offensive way. Like the "air" of the Hiquphons but with body. I love my Hiquphons though and will never sell them.

Both are top notch and but they are different, it depends what you prefer.
We all no it and I am not afraid to admit it, in such a bad economy The car audio companies world wide have you to thank for keeping them afloat....So no, thanks you Sir.;)

Now back to the HDS tweeters and what I do like about them.
-They cross low with out any noticable ill effects in the music.( One of the ultimate 2 way tweeters if you ask me)
-I never find them to be spitty even at higher volumes they hold them selves like a young white glove wearing Micheal Jackson....you know before he was into 8 year olds.
-They never seem to be off axis, I had them sitting almost straight across from one another and also directly on axis and really never notice a big difference in the way they played.
-I find it to be a very "Real" sounding tweeter. Not sure I would call them "in your face", but I seem to think of "bright tweeters to be "in your face.......but the are there, yet not over bearing. I would almost say like a good complimentry player to a mid......like how Pierce/Allen are there for one another when the time comes to get the job done(unless it is the Bulls they are playing)

----I guess what i am trying to say is do not be afraid of the extra cost, because if it is your last set of tweeters to ever purchase it will actually be money saved in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts