DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have most of my equipment in hand for a medium budget, not-quite-top-shelf quality build. I have a set of dynaudio 6 1/2 woofers for the front doors and am shopping 5 1/4 components for my q-logic kick panel enclosures (recommendations in the $200-300 range?) I'd like a 3-way setup, obviously. I'm pretty well spent out though so I'd prefer to grab a medium priced set of 2-way components and use my Alpine PDX amp's Hi/Lo crossovers for channel separation. That would make for 150w RMS to the midbass and 150w to the 2-way component set (I like my bass). This would obviate the necessity of purchasing a separate 3-way passive crossover. I'll be running Imprint off my Alpine iDA headunit and h100 module. Sub bass is handled by a sealed Alpine type R 12” at 600w RMS. A few issues that come to mind:

1. I’ll need a separate high-pass run on the midbass woofers to keep sub-bass frequencies out, though I do plan to run it as low as 60Hz if they’ll take it.

2. Where to begin crossing over? The Amplifier’s crossovers go up to 400Hz. I’m thinking 250-300Hz???

3. What about running a spare pair of passive crossovers I have laying around and running both the midbass woofer and kick-panel-mounted midrange woofer at the full range provided by their respective crossovers? Amplified the same as before.

4. Is any of this even a good idea? Alternatives?

I’ve considered running both the door and kick-panel woofers at full range, assigning the doors to the rear channel output and letting the Imprint multiEQ software sort out the rest. I’m leaving the stock rear speakers fed off the headunit’s internal amp; not so much for imaging as, well, I just don’t like it when the sound is entirely from upfront.

This is my first post here and I know it’s a doozey. I thank you all for ANY input you might have and for this great resource I’ve been lurking these past few months.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Vehicle is a 98 (MK3) Jetta by the way.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps this is a question more appropriate for a different forum?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts