DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was having an ebay moment and bought an epicenter thinking it would be a fun addition to my system
then i read the manual it needs a full range output to work correctly......well the guy at audiocontrol says it needs up to 960hz at least

here is the prob i am as the title states using 3 way hi/mid/sub from my alpine 9887
how could i sum the mid and sub with out ruining the crossover settings on either ?

i am using oldschool soundstream amps w/o xovers for mid/hi and a large class d for subs it however have outputs not that that will help me

so i talked to my local techie amp electronics repair guy and he says i need op amps and a filter of some sort

anyone have any idea or should i just sell the audiocontrol?

·
Registered
239 Posts
almost 20 years ago, I didn't know and had mine in a LP crossed over signal path and it seemed to work fine. I don't have it that way anymore. I am not sure I heard a difference, however AudioControl should know. I have had 3 of them and had one in every install. I almost never use it. The are a fun toy but thats about it IMO. You can make the Cranberries to sound like a test tone.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I had a similar issue about 10 years ago, I found that the Epicenter does nothing when it gets only a lowpass mono signal.

I believe the "Concert Series" Epicenter works around that, it's a newer model than what I had and a buddy used it in an almost identical situation as mine and it worked fine for him.

Other than using a fullrange output from your head unit to the Epicenter, and an outboard electronic crossover to your amps after the Epicenter, I don't know of a way to make it work right with what you've got.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thats fun
i kinda just wanted a toy for crusing around i have plenty of bass just some songs arent that fun to listen to (no bass) but i really like them

that is what its all about isnt it ?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Another thing the epicenter needs is a stereo signal. I found that out the hard way when I tried using on an Alpine deck that had a mono sub out. I didn't think it needed a full range signal though.

They are only useless if you use them incorrectly or with music that already has solid low end. On older music with a weak bottom end, they are extremely useful, just don't use it like an idiot (turned all the way up).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i turn every control to +10 and plan on cutting a hole in my floor board so i can push my pedal down further
just kidding

well i have an alpine but i never read if i have mono or stereo ?
its a 9887......off to read the manual

Another thing the epicenter needs is a stereo signal. I found that out the hard way when I tried using on an Alpine deck that had a mono sub out. I didn't think it needed a full range signal though.

They are only useless if you use them incorrectly or with music that already has solid low end. On older music with a weak bottom end, they are extremely useful, just don't use it like an idiot (turned all the way up).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts