DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own a Mazda 6 estate/wagon year 2019 with Bose sounds. The standard sound is just so-so, so I think it is time to make meaningful upgrade.

As background, I have upgraded the audio in my F10 and Toyota Innova. Previously I also owned Mazda CX-5 which I did some upgrade on audio. In all those cars, I used JBL MS8, so I am very familiar with how it works. I utilize the center channel except on Toyota Innova because it doesn't have space for it.

I am inclined to use the center channel because there is space for it in Mazda 6 and I have spare 4" coaxial (Morel Hybrid Integra) and a spare MS8 (from my CX-5). However now I want to maximize space on Mazda 6 because having a small family now meaning that space in the car is highly valuable. If I use my MS8, then I need to add more amps so I might need to bring down my spare tire and use that space to place all my audio gears.

On weekdays, I usually sit on the second row, but weekend on the driver seat. As such, it is important for me to have "all-position" listening experience.

I am looking at Helix P Six, which have ample power and processing power. It appears that a P Six will be able to solve my space problem. My friend owns it and I think it's a great device when I sit on the driver seat (single position). However, it doesn't have true center processing capability so I am not sure whether it will be able to deliver "all-position" listening experience just like MS8 does due to its true center processing.

Or perhaps I just need to find an excellent installer and P Six is a capable device to deliver "all-position" listening? Is it able to truly utilize a center channel?

Happy to hear your thoughts and experience.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The P Six is a great device with loads of processing power but is not capable of providing a nice "all seat" listening experience.

A center channel is required for that and the MS8 is still one of few DSPs with such algorithms.

Helix does have some DSPs with "true center" processing but I do not believe it is derived in the same way.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. Other than MS8 and H800, are there any other DSP which can properly process center channel? Or at least deliver accurate “all-seat” listening experience
I would like to know the answer to this as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Older units--
Audicocontrol ESP3, Audiocntrol System 12, Rockford RFQ5000, Fosgate Audionics Gavotte

Current Units-- Helix DSP Ultra and DSP.3
arent the Rockford RFQ5000 and the Fosgate Audionics Gavotte the same processor, one is just rebranded?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The Gavotte was Jim Fosgates original 12v multi channel processor designed and built by his company.

The RFQ5000 was Rockford Fosgates release of his technology after they bought it.
That said, I have no idea if they are exactly the same under the hood or of the RFQ5000 is an updated version.

I own BOTH of them but have not had time to do a side by side listening comparison.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Older units--
Audicocontrol ESP3, Audiocntrol System 12, Rockford RFQ5000, Fosgate Audionics Gavotte

Current Units-- Helix DSP Ultra and DSP.3
has anybody compared the center channel processing of the Helix models and compared them to the MS8? just curious if Helix's Center channel algorithm is comparable to the Logic 7 processing of the MS8

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Gavotte was Jim Fosgates original 12v multi channel processor designed and built by his company.

The RFQ5000 was Rockford Fosgates release of his technology after they bought it.
That said, I have no idea if they are exactly the same under the hood or of the RFQ5000 is an updated version.

I own BOTH of them but have not had time to do a side by side listening comparison.
gotcha.. i have the Fosgate Gavotte as well, i havent hooked it up yet, and im thinking it may be too dated a piece to use with a modern system, but i wont know till i hook it up:)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
gotcha.. i have the Fosgate Gavotte as well, i havent hooked it up yet, and im thinking it may be too dated a piece to use with a modern system, but i wont know till i hook it up:)

As long as it is still in good working order and you hook it up and set it up properly I imagine that your gonna like it. That said be sure to post back your impression after you DO...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I eventually settled for MS8. Happy with the result. Magnificent surround sound, staging, and center performance. However I’m still curious about Helix Real Center in DPS3 and Ultra.

·
Registered
231 Posts

maybe one day in the near future, since you have both , you could crack open the hood and see whats inside and compare them ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hello,

I own a Mazda 6 estate/wagon year 2019 with Bose sounds. The standard sound is just so-so, so I think it is time to make meaningful upgrade.

As background, I have upgraded the audio in my F10 and Toyota Innova. Previously I also owned Mazda CX-5 which I did some upgrade on audio. In all those cars, I used JBL MS8, so I am very familiar with how it works. I utilize the center channel except on Toyota Innova because it doesn't have space for it.

I am inclined to use the center channel because there is space for it in Mazda 6 and I have spare 4" coaxial (Morel Hybrid Integra) and a spare MS8 (from my CX-5). However now I want to maximize space on Mazda 6 because having a small family now meaning that space in the car is highly valuable. If I use my MS8, then I need to add more amps so I might need to bring down my spare tire and use that space to place all my audio gears.

On weekdays, I usually sit on the second row, but weekend on the driver seat. As such, it is important for me to have "all-position" listening experience.

I am looking at Helix P Six, which have ample power and processing power. It appears that a P Six will be able to solve my space problem. My friend owns it and I think it's a great device when I sit on the driver seat (single position). However, it doesn't have true center processing capability so I am not sure whether it will be able to deliver "all-position" listening experience just like MS8 does due to its true center processing.

Or perhaps I just need to find an excellent installer and P Six is a capable device to deliver "all-position" listening? Is it able to truly utilize a center channel?

Happy to hear your thoughts and experience.
I'm thinking this might work for you:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm thinking this might work for you:

the modesl with center channel processing from Helix are the DSP.3 and the DSP Ultra. the MK2 doesnt appear to have it

·
Registered
127 Posts
the modesl with center channel processing from Helix are the DSP.3 and the DSP Ultra. the MK2 doesnt appear to have it
I think you are mistaken. The v eight mk2 positively has all the latest Helix “FX” features plus 8 channels of amplifier too! Click on the link I provided for you and check out the features.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think you are mistaken. The v eight mk2 positively has all the latest Helix “FX” features plus 8 channels of amplifier too! Click on the link I provided for you and check out the features.
'RealCenter' 'Stageexpander' and 'ClarityXpander' , are not part of the MK2... at least according to the webiste.. just checked it

·
Registered
231 Posts
My man click on the link I provided and click on the DSP-Features tab and I think you'll see the DSP-Features it has! Don't know if I would try tuning if I was you...
that link you provided is the V8 MK2, which is an amplifier with built in DSP, different than the stand alone processor, the Pro MK2, which is what we were talking about sir.

the Pro Mk2 does NOT have real center or stageexpander, etc...at least according to the specs and features page on the website. now, maybe they added it woith a firmware update, but none that I am aware of:

Features Pro MK2

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just trying to help... you started out talking about an all in one amp/DSP P six. You also mentioned running a center channel and inquired will the P Six do what you want. The answer to your question is no it won’t but V Eight MK2 I suggested will. If I’m not understanding something sorry my bad!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts