DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of installing an aftermarket hu with the stock 'premium' audio system that comes with an amp from factory, the hu has audio settings but I was thinking of using a knob or slider equalizer to tune the audio on the go when needed instead of going thru each screen of audio configurations every time I want or need to mess with the audio. Is this setup possible? Can an rca in/out equalizer be connected to a speaker level in/out factory amp? Is this setup more viable with an older equalizer that uses din inputs and outputs, just matter of figuring out the pinouts?
I am working with this aftermarket hu and stock speakers combo setup for now, in the future I will def go full aftermarket to gain full control of audio settings but this will do for now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Use the JL audio clean sweep, the factory amps are eq’d for the factory speaker and HU. The clean sweep will get you the best sound. The car makers install poor systems and place eq’ if into the amps so the can get the best sound out of crappy speakers and it’s tailored to that specific vehicle
Even if you upgrade the speakers and leave the factory amps, the SQ will still be under par

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like that one is intended towards stock hu/aftermarket amp setup, besides I'm not looking for a processor, just a simple equalizer to change settings on the fly and if it's even possible to use it in this scenario.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
what car do you have? what is the eq are you trying to use? What is the headunit? How much messing with the tune are you really going to do? Even back in the day when I had an in dash eq, once it was set I didnt touch it often. The only thing I would move time to time was the eq band on the sub and the sub level. If you are putting in a decent head unit, I wouldnt spend my time there. If you are going to keep the factory amp that sounds like you have to use speaker level, I would find a processor that would allow some connection to the speaker out and get it tuned and forget it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck is a 2006 Grand Cherokee, don't have one in hand yet as I want to know if I can even use it on this 'build' but was thinking of a Pioneer one to keep the theme going with the hu, it's an avx-p7000cd with the avm-p9000r brain, not much if not needed.

The deal is when I first got the truck the stereo sounded like shit, as soon as I cranked the volume just a bit, it would stop producing sound from one or two speakers and the rest sounded weak. When I got some time to dig into it, I found out the factory Boston Acoustics amp had wires hooked into each other, the rear seat had screw holes from like installing another amp or securing down a sub or speaker box and the stock stereo had wire taps so I guess previous owner had installed some sound system, removed it to sell and they left the mess, so I removed the unwanted connections and it sounded like it should again.

As I got used to the 'new' sound, I thought it could use an upgrade. Being a daily driver at the time I wanted a clean plug and play factory like solution even keeping the stock stereo. Doing some research I found out about the Kicker upgrade from Mopar, thought that would be enough to do the job. I started to assemble the necessary pieces for the upgrade when another car was bought for daily driver duties so this one was available to modify without problem. At this point I already had the upgrade ready to be installed, so it would be a waste to go full aftermarket (speakers, subs, amps, dsp, crossovers, whatever) having the Kicker system at hand.

Now keeping the stock stereo was a no for me. I went for a flip out screen since I liked the idea of one on this truck. Chose that model (avx-p7000cd) because of the simple and clean style besides the brain it's paired with can be wired with speaker level outputs to hook up the factory amp.

Here comes what originated the post, the Kicker upgrade amp already has a preset eq for the truck, that's cool, whatever adjustment the hu let's me do, it's fine, the deal is the music I listen to varies quite a bit talking from genre to age to the way it was recored since not all music is recorded in the same studio in the same conditions. This is where the equalizer would come in handy, fine adjustments to compensate for all the differences from one song to another, maybe too much treble? let's turn it down a bit, too much bass? turn that knob down some, that's what I am after, an on the fly solution to make fine audio adjustments.
Can the equalizer be hooked between the head unit and the factory amp? The factory amp only has speaker level inputs and the equalizer only rca outputs but they both are just positive and negative wires for front/rear left/right side speakers, can the rcas coming out of the equalizer be spliced and connected to the factory amps speaker level inputs? Hoping this makes sense.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used the Audio Control LCQ-1 in the past. It allows you to also sum the outputs as some HU have a built in electronic crossovers. All that with a builtin three channel EQ. I used the LCQ-1 to replace the CleanSweep so I can gain EQ functionaility. No difference in SQ

·
Registered
128 Posts
Audio control lcq is more for set and forget.
you can plug a eq like this one Gravity EQ9 1/2 Din 7 Band Car Audio Equalizer EQ w/ Front, Rear + Sub Output 704129656574 | eBay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts