DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
maximally flat is actually preffered in a car…. LRs are just easier to implement….(the ppl that put crossovers in amps
I always look forward to what-ever oabeieo has to say...... I don't understand a lot of it, but its always an interesting read.

.... still wondering what "Maximally" means.......

Reactions: SkizeR

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey @SkizeR didnt you have a video of doing an autoset at one point? I think i saw it on another forum but the video is gone? Apologies if i am confusing you with someone else.

Btw the resonix is amazing.

·
Vendor
20,501 Posts
Hey @SkizeR didnt you have a video of doing an autoset at one point? I think i saw it on another forum but the video is gone? Apologies if i am confusing you with someone else.

Btw the resonix is amazing.
Yes, I had it up. But it created way too many questions for people and messages started getting out of control so I took it down. And thank you. I made a goal of making it the best on the market and I'm confident that I achieved that :)

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I always look forward to what-ever oabeieo has to say...... I don't understand a lot of it, but its always an interesting read.

do a band pass crossover in LR and look at it…. It looks like a hump….. do it in BW and it looks more flat top…. That’s maximally flat

The hump shape causes some problems in summing because the entirety of the speaker is summing dependent except the very middle

it just so happens to be the very middle that has a phase twist from it being a band pass!

so no part of the response ever has time to work itself out… it’s constantly changing and summing

in BW it’s a lot easier to keep the LP and HP side of the passbands to have better summation…. Altho , no free lunch…. (Never is) that all depends on the other crossovers in the network

The system as a whole Has to be well thought out and pre planned , based on driver capabilities, and desired frequency response from each driver…. It truly is a mixture of different topologies that makes a really good Netwerk as a whole

to just arbitrarily say LRs are the only way is just foolish…. The LR is a dam good crossover, in a complementary way as a two-way… again, things get out of control quickly it takes some thinking to get through all of it but the end result can be quite impressive…

just this last year I’ve learned a lot are used to make fun of 3 inch drivers and thinking that they are completely in capable, boy was I wrong…. The whole time I was doing the crossovers completely wrong

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,243 Posts

Kinda like our very own Yoda!😂

·
Registered
568 Posts
do a band pass crossover in LR and look at it…. It looks like a hump….. do it in BW and it looks more flat top…. That’s maximally flat

The hump shape causes some problems in summing because the entirety of the speaker is summing dependent except the very middle

it just so happens to be the very middle that has a phase twist from it being a band pass!

so no part of the response ever has time to work itself out… it’s constantly changing and summing

in BW it’s a lot easier to keep the LP and HP side of the passbands to have better summation…. Altho , no free lunch…. (Never is) that all depends on the other crossovers in the network

The system as a whole Has to be well thought out and pre planned , based on driver capabilities, and desired frequency response from each driver…. It truly is a mixture of different topologies that makes a really good Netwerk as a whole

to just arbitrarily say LRs are the only way is just foolish…. The LR is a dam good crossover, in a complementary way as a two-way… again, things get out of control quickly it takes some thinking to get through all of it but the end result can be quite impressive…

just this last year I’ve learned a lot are used to make fun of 3 inch drivers and thinking that they are completely in capable, boy was I wrong…. The whole time I was doing the crossovers completely wrong

Now that makes a LOT of sense to me. Thank you for the explanation !!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't let yourself being fooled by the headline though.
Frank Miketta (CTO and head developer DSPs for Mosconi/Gladen) specifically states he set the headline to get more attention for the video. :p

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Don't let yourself being fooled by the headline though.
Frank Miketta (CTO and head developer DSPs for Mosconi/Gladen) specifically states he set the headline to get more attention for the video. :p

That is true ……

Linkwitz is a excellent filter , just not the only excellent filter. and what he says is plain and simple. He doesn’t use double talk or have a slippey tongue. Frank is really smart guy, I think the Phac is a bit of a joke, and hope so much he unlocks the fir in the Aeros…. His dsp is absolutely amazing. Very well thought out workflow.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
no just stating how it’s wired from the factory. I am just using the front speaker outputs As high level inputs to the helix.
"Front speaker outputs" to the tweeters or the woofers?

Edit: you'll need both for a full range signal.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
FIR wont happen. As far as i understood it will have too much processing delay in their DSPs and most people don't know how to use them anyway.
There’s no such thing as too much processing delay for audio….(my system has 65ms of output delay and it sounds fine)
I talked to him a few months ago and he said 2022 to some exciting things are coming as a reply when I asked him about FIR.

he also went on to tell me that there will be possibly some professional tools for professional installers… but he would not spill the beans on FIR… so it left me wondering and hoping actually

I know the DSP chip in there is capable, it’s the same one mini DSP uses. even if there was an option just to upload your own FIR into it that would be fantastic

because yes the user would have to calculate the delays manually across all channels. So maybe that’s the delay your referencing. Unless he has some logic in there that could do it, again above my pay grade…

The workflow on that thing with an fir at each output would arguably be the best dsp on the planet.

·
Vendor
20,501 Posts
There’s no such thing as too much processing delay for audio….(my system has 65ms of output delay and it sounds fine)
Thats not what they mean. It can cause major issues with OEM functions. The big one being Bluetooth calls. Too much delay ruins the noise cancellation processing of Bluetooth calls and will cause major echo.

99.9% of people in this industry don't even know what an FIR filter is, let alone how to use one. I cant imagine a bunch of complaints and tech support calls would be worth it to include FIR filters for like, 6 people that would effectively use them. I have heard from a few companies that say Bluetooth calls is the main reason why they wont implement them.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Thats not what they mean. It can cause major issues with OEM functions. The big one being Bluetooth calls. Too much delay ruins the noise cancellation processing of Bluetooth calls and will cause major echo.

99.9% of people in this industry don't even know what an FIR filter is, let alone how to use one. I cant imagine a bunch of complaints and tech support calls would be worth it to include FIR filters for like, 6 people that would effectively use them. I have heard from a few companies that say Bluetooth calls is the main reason why they wont implement them.
okay , thank you. That makes perfect sense actually. I didn’t think of that (duh me)

·
Vendor
20,501 Posts

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Although I will add , in my car (64ms) and on any 8x12dl I’ve done (23ms) Bluetooth hands-free works perfectly fine

in fact I have a Mini DSP in my shop and we watch movies on it all the time and I can’t even tell the lips are out of sync it looks perfectly normal to me…..

So hopefully they re think that, although I definitely understand some fir filters can get quite long… not knowing what they were planning or considering…..

·
Registered
568 Posts
I watched the video, and I understand it on a conceptual level, but wouldn't know how to create speaker level curves in REW for a 3-way+Sub. I'm familiar with Jazzi Excel, but it has only BW's & LR's for XO types. I'd like to try BW between Mid-Range to Mid-bass, and try Bessel between Mid-Range and tweets, but how does one ensure to have -6db at the crossover?

I'm high-jacking this thread with this question, sorry about that to the OP. @oabeieo would you consider starting a new thread ?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I watched the video, and I understand it on a conceptual level, but wouldn't know how to create speaker level curves in REW for a 3-way+Sub. I'm familiar with Jazzi Excel, but it has only BW's & LR's for XO types. I'd like to try BW between Mid-Range to Mid-bass, and try Bessel between Mid-Range and tweets, but how does one ensure to have -6db at the crossover?
Maybe by realizing that the spreadsheet gives curves for the acoustical response and not electrical responses?
Why don’t you just use Bessel filters to achieve the acoustic response?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts