DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Alpine MRP-M500 and one Kicker 07cvr124. The amp is rated at 500w rms at 2 ohms and 14v. The sub is rated 400w rms. I am installing this in an 05 Impala police package. I was wondering if it would be possible to power the amp using the built in 100 amp auxiliary junction block in the trunk. It consists of 2 separate 50 amp circuits, both with fusible links and uses 8 gauge wire. It states that 100 amps can run up to 1200 watts. Would one of these 50 amp circuits be enough to power the amp? if not, how do I combine the 2 circuits? What else do I need to know?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you sure? because the peak wattage is around 1000 for this amp, and the sub peak is 800. would it be ok to just combine the 2 circuits?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
yea a single 50 amp circuit at 14.4volts provides enough power for 720 continuous watts. the 1000 peak will never be met so don't pay attention to it.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
If you really feel the need for it...Why not... both circuits are individually protected...just combine both @ your distro block or amp terminal.

Just for ****s and giggles...what are the the on-board fuse values, on the Alpine amp?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you really feel the need for it...Why not... both circuits are individually protected...just combine both @ your distro block or amp terminal.

Just for ****s and giggles...what are the the on-board fuse values, on the Alpine amp?
that is another point that i didn't think of. If I was powering the amp normally, i would use a 60A fuse near the battery. If I only use one of these built in 50A circuits, wouldn't that blow at high power? And if I combine both circuits, would the fuse blow if it goes over 100 amps, or 50 amps? These fusible links make me nervous lol

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
One should work fine. it's music, it takes current in gulps as opposed to steady state draw as something like a Motorola radio running Full Bore FM would do. they are back there to basically run the radio's RF decks. Because of this, they are probably pretty clean feeds also in terms of possible noise.

Are you running it at 2 ohms? this makes a difference too, if you are running at 4 then you will be super-fine.

I run a JL 500/5 on a 40A fuse and have never ever popped it. I run a MTX in my truck on a 400 watt MTX, no problems on a 25A fuse (because it was handy and I never had an issue for those that ask)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It will be running at 2 ohms, but I will probably have it set to a pretty low gain, since the amp is 500w rms and the sub is only 400w rms. Should I add another 60A fuse to the junction box just to be safe?

BTW just to be clear, this junction box is connected directly to the battery with only the fusible links in between it. And now that I look at it, not sure if this is 8 gauge wire or not, looks pretty slim, ill measure the gauge in a little while. If its smaller, like say for example 12 gauge, would it be ok to just use both circuits?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
gain in no way limits power, an amplifier will still make full power at minimum gain unless the gain is OFF, quite an uncommon thing in car audio.

If it's smaller than 8Ga I'd bite the bullet and just pull a new run. 4Ga would be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts