DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a real question has nothing to do with money concept behind it so take the money factor out of the equation.

We know silver is better then ofc copper for lower resistance and connectivity. My question is this.

Does using pure silver wires on these 3 items make a difference? I could see it being better at lower resistance but thats not all I am asking. From a sound quality perspective would this actually have an impact?

The way I see it is if we used a shielded or non shielded pure silver cable the noise going into the amplifier would be less. This is what i am asking about that i am not sure of.

I am also curious to know if this would affect the sound quality of the amplifier since if it is less noise into the amplifier then less noise should not transmit over to the speakers as well all things considering everything else running pure silver wires as well.

I expect some advance user feedback with real responses not saying don't waste your money just get copper. This is something I am trying to learn from a knowledge standpoint.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
If you are talking about silver "sounding better" simply because it has less measured resistance than copper, I do not think that would be the case at all.

I am pretty sure that about the only advantage would be being able to use less silver (as measured by circumference) in order to pass the same current with the same resistance.

In terms of the floor noise of the amplifier, I also think that would be more a question of design and quality of the build components rather then simply wire composition.

All that said sometimes a different material may be selected for its properties OTHER then resistance.

For example, even though gold's resistance is actually higher then that of copper, gold plating is used on many interconnects and/or other connections because the gold makes that connection more resistant to corrosion in moist or humid environments thus improving the overall quality of the connection.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are talking about silver "sounding better" simply because it has less measured resistance than copper, I do not think that would be the case at all.

I am pretty sure that about the only advantage would be being able to use less silver (as measured by circumference) in order to pass the same current with the same resistance.

In terms of the floor noise of the amplifier, I also think that would be more a question of design and quality of the build components rather then simply wire composition.

All that said sometimes a different material may be selected for its properties OTHER then resistance.

For example, even though gold's resistance is actually higher then that of copper, gold plating is used on many interconnects and/or other connections because the gold makes that connection more resistant to corrosion in moist or humid environments thus improving the overall quality of the connection.

Just my .02
Thanks for your input hoping to hear others opinions on this as I am hoping someone has tried this test before just for educational purposes as said. I ask this because in home audio they also sell pure silver power cable plugs so it makes me wonder the science behind it in a car environment the pros cons and what it could actually do the overall picture with details of course

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Thanks for your input hoping to hear others opinions on this as I am hoping someone has tried this test before just for educational purposes as said. I ask this because in home audio they also sell pure silver power cable plugs so it makes me wonder the science behind it in a car environment the pros cons and what it could actually do the overall picture with details of course
That is the biggest load of crap ever... there is literally no science behind it in most cases...

In a car you just want the best conduction of electrons... the end, chassis upto a limit makes a nice job of the return path, and use appropriate sized cables for supplying current to the amps from the positive terminal to the positive terminal (well technically from the Earth of the battery through the chassis, into the amp, then back out of the amp down the positive line back to the battery)

In a house, what and where do you plug your lead into? Miles of thin spindly 2.5mm or 4mm copper cable... if the last metre made such a huge difference how can the other miles of it from substation to the house? They will be run next to all manner of other wiring... it’s snake oil

Some company’s use different shape conductors also...

If you want highly refined snake oil I recommend ps audio... 🙈

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the biggest load of crap ever... there is literally no science behind it in most cases...

In a car you just want the best conduction of electrons... the end, chassis upto a limit makes a nice job of the return path, and use appropriate sized cables for supplying current to the amps from the positive terminal to the positive terminal (well technically from the Earth of the battery through the chassis, into the amp, then back out of the amp down the positive line back to the battery)

In a house, what and where do you plug your lead into? Miles of thin spindly 2.5mm or 4mm copper cable... if the last metre made such a huge difference how can the other miles of it from substation to the house? They will be run next to all manner of other wiring... it’s snake oil

Some company’s use different shape conductors also...

If you want highly refined snake oil I recommend ps audio... 🙈
I am not saying it is or isn't snake oil but more or less I want to know if anyone has ever done this gotten a different result from ofc vs pure silver for the main connections noise floor , dB increase, increased s/n , increased damping factor , lowered resistance. How much of these things changed plus more data. I want to know how doing this will affect by this change?

It is a interesting question in my opinion. I feel like it would help line noise going to the amps and just emi rfi inference in general. But I don't actually know these answers which is why I made this post I want to hear multiple users feedback on this. I think its debatable enough to try out and listen and meter with a multimeter and other electronics people use to measure things. I dont have this high end electronics to test this theory or the silver gauge wires for this test which is why I am asking all of this in the first place.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
What line noise? You don’t generally get line noise down power lines as the battery at the end acts like a giant filtering capacitor effectively, you won’t find any tests as it’s not an issue in the first place

Nor do you get people buying 50mm square silver cable at 300 dollars a meter, hence why no one makes such a product nor would anyone have tested it... sorry if I sound blunt, I’m just trying to save you a lot of wasted time

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What line noise? You don’t generally get line noise down power lines as the battery at the end acts like a giant filtering capacitor effectively, you won’t find any tests as it’s not an issue in the first place

Nor do you get people buying 50mm square silver cable at 300 dollars a meter
Everything always carries noise even if it isn't audible to your ear because your ear isn't pressed up to the amp all the time. But you and I both know that noise in is noise out whether you hear it or not. Circuits carry electric and dc current does have dirty power its not 100% clean sure a noise filter for the electrical side could help some and a power conditioner could help the voltage stabilization. But it doesn't mean you will notice or hear and difference of these things. The point is making everything as perfect as possible I am a little ocd yes but back to the topic of what I am asking about this post. I want to know technical differences and there are some not every number will be exactly the same and silver does sound different from copper. So maybe it has a similar effect on the 12v power gnd rem wires as well. The truth is idm know which is why I ask.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Everything always carries noise even if it isn't audible to your ear because your ear isn't pressed up to the amp all the time. But you and I both know that noise in is noise out whether you hear it or not. Circuits carry electric and dc current does have dirty power its not 100% clean sure a noise filter for the electrical side could help some and a power conditioner could help the voltage stabilization. But it doesn't mean you will notice or hear and difference of these things. The point is making everything as perfect as possible I am a little ocd yes but back to the topic of what I am asking about this post. I want to know technical differences and there are some not every number will be exactly the same and silver does sound different from copper. So maybe it has a similar effect on the 12v power gnd rem wires as well. The truth is idm know which is why I ask.
How would anyone test it when you simply can’t buy 70mm^2 silver power cable nor is it commercially viable and offers zero improvements over copper, and it wouldn’t reduce noise because induced noise is not a thing you can hear as you say... ocd or not... if you have noise from an amp it is likely down to a bad ground in signal, power or a component...

no one tests if bananas are good speakers because they don’t make good speakers at all nor can you buy a banana speaker... 🤷🏽‍♂️

What noise do you think an amp is going to make if your ear is pressed against it? You are more likely to get transformer noise from an amp be audible than anything from a power cable ever, it’s also why amps have filtering built in so you don’t hear anything, you are looking for a solution to a problem that’s not a problem so people won’t ever spend time and money trying to solve it

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If you used silver, the main advantage would be less of your power turning into heat in your wiring. The list of disadvantages, I can't even begin on.

Reactions: dumdum

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
If you used silver, the main advantage would be less of your power turning into heat in your wiring. The list of disadvantages, I can't even begin on.
Even that would be not be an issue as for anything the silver did save... you could outweigh by spending a quarter of the money in the first place on bigger copper to offset the marginal resistance gain

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you can undoubtedly say this with out test to back up your claim? I am not trying to argue I just want actual proof someone is rich enough here to have tested this.

Reactions: K-pop sucks

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
So you can undoubtedly say this with out test to back up your claim? I am not trying to argue I just want actual proof someone is rich enough here to have tested this.
Why would they any more than a banana speaker?

Science backs this up, i really don’t get why or how you think silver power cable is any more likely to out perform copper than a triangular shaped conductor will benefit over a regular 5 dollar power cable for a 240v connection, which is basically what started your crusade in the first place

They don’t make two ****s of a difference and aren’t real (you are talking power wires here initially for 240v)

Power conditioners can offer some benefits... but not half the claims people make about them

Plus as I said what noise do you think you will hear even with your ear pressed against the amp? (From your flawed statement??) youve not answered that yet? Do you have ultrasonic hearing? Or worse?

Or are you saying you have a silver mains lead for your home hifi and it transformed your sound or you’ve experienced a massive difference with silver vs copper in the same application?

The only time I have noticed any difference in any form of cable was swapping to a very low resistance rca lead with low capacitance, but the measurable part of this was low capacitance and resistance... if they don’t change it sounds the same as proven by science

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I think the biggest problem here is the belief that resistance in the wire causes noise, it doesn't. Resistance causes voltage drop, not noise. The wiring needs to be sufficient enough to minimize voltage drop, and to handle the amount of current that is being sent through it. It doesn't matter what it's made out of as long as it can pass the current without significant voltage drop. Silver has lower resistance, and therefor you could theoretically use less of it compared to copper, but your combating voltage drop, not noise.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
This is a real question has nothing to do with money concept behind it so take the money factor out of the equation.

We know silver is better then ofc copper for lower resistance and connectivity. My question is this.

Does using pure silver wires on these 3 items make a difference? I could see it being better at lower resistance but thats not all I am asking. From a sound quality perspective would this actually have an impact?

The way I see it is if we used a shielded or non shielded pure silver cable the noise going into the amplifier would be less. This is what i am asking about that i am not sure of.

I am also curious to know if this would affect the sound quality of the amplifier since if it is less noise into the amplifier then less noise should not transmit over to the speakers as well all things considering everything else running pure silver wires as well.

I expect some advance user feedback with real responses not saying don't waste your money just get copper. This is something I am trying to learn from a knowledge standpoint.
Let's look at your question using common sense and a minimal amount of science.

1.) Given all other things are equal (patch cable length, diameter, shielding, etc) the only thing that is going to differ between pure silver and copper wire is resistance.
2.) The resistivity of silver is 6% less than copper.
3.) Let's assume you have a strong source (such as a head unit) that can send an 8Vp-p signal to a receiving unit (such as an amp)
4.) Let's assume the input resistance (load resistance) of your amplifier is 10Kohm. This isn't great but considered acceptable.
5.) Let's assume your patch cord is "high end" and uses oversized 22ga conductors (most use 28ga or lower)
6.) Let's assume your patch cord is 12ft long. This should be long enough to reach from front to back of a vehicle.
7.) Let's assume we are running this experiment at normal room temp.

The resistance of 22ga copper wire is 16.5ohm/1000ft at room temperature. That's 0.0165 ohm per foot.

Doing the math you'll find that your 12ft patch cord has 0.198 ohm of resistance.

Now we need to apply some simple science. The resistance of your patch cable creates a voltage divider with the amplifiers input resistance. Let's say you are blaring your system at maximum volume level / system gain. That's 8Vp-p or 4Vpk. Vload is the voltage going into your amp. Vcord is the voltage dropped across the patch cable. The equation for the voltage divider goes as follows:

Vload = Vpk(Rcord/(Rcord+Rload) --> 4(0.198/(10000+0.198)) --> 3.999921V
Vcord = Vpk(Rload/(Rload+Rcord) --> 4(10000/(10000+0.198)) --> 0.000079V

The signal loss in the cable is over 50,000 times less than the signal going into the amp. To be exact it's -94.088dB less

Now re-run all these calculations for a pure silver wire which has 6% less resistance. Your 12ft patch cord will have 0.186 ohms of resistance.

The resulting signal loss in the cable is slightly better at -94.656dB

The threshold of human hearing for signal to noise ratio is -84dB +/-2dB. And this is with the best subjects. Many folks can hardly hear -70dB

Do you see where I am going with this? You can't hear a -94.088dB difference using copper cabling. So, you sure as h3ll aren't going to hear a -94.656dB difference using silver cable.

It's not the wire material that makes a difference. H3ll, you could use aluminum wire and still not hear a difference. It's the construction of the cable and the amount of shielding provided. Shielding rejects noise and keeps your signal to noise ratio down. This could mean the difference between a SNR of -60dB (which would be audible) to a SNR of -80dB (which would not be audible).

Buy a good quality cable with twisted pair signal and ground conductors which has a decent braded shield over it. That's what professional recording studios use. That's the best you are going to be able to do.

(4) $30 Audiophile Grade RCA Interconnects, DIY Better Sounding High Quality Cables - YouTube

Ge0

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
FYI, the title of your post says using silver for power, ground, and remote wiring. However, in your text body you mentioned shielding and interconnects. I showed you it makes no difference in the most sensitive part (interconnects).

It really ain't going to make a difference in power wire. If you are concerned about power losses in your power cabling then it's a h3ll of a lot cheap stepping up your wire gage in copper than it would be going from copper to silver in the same wire gage. Also, I think others have already mentioned this. It makes absolutely no sense to shield power cabling. The power supply within your amp does a great job at rejecting noise. This is called Power Supply Rejection Ratio (PSRR) and is typically in the -100dB or lower range. Here is a measurement for an amp that is considered mediocre:

The Audio amplifier SNR is mediocre yet acceptable at roughly -78dB. But, look at the PSSR (at 60hz) it's about -115dB

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I were going to that kind of extreme in the real world then I would go through hearing tests to determine if I would just end up with placebo effects since it isn't good enough to perceive the actual change. Aka my hearing has been beat up over time.

Reactions: Ge0

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
If I were going to that kind of extreme in the real world then I would go through hearing tests to determine if I would just end up with placebo effects since it isn't good enough to perceive the actual change. Aka my hearing has been beat up over time.
Most excellent point LOL!!! I've beat the sh!t out of my ears attending concerts and listening to loud music in my car. I have tinnitus. My hearing starts to drop off rapidly at 12KHz. I can hardly hear 16KHz with gain cranked to max.

Ge0

Reactions: K-pop sucks

·
Registered
4,086 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you wanted to replicate the home audio example of silver power cable you could use these rough approximate percentage lengths for power wire: 99% unshielded cable in the air, insert a step down transformer, run some wire underground for .8%, hit another step down transformer and hook it to a neighborhood full of cars, run another .199999% in cheap romex from home depot, then for that last critical .000001% use pure silver cable. Pour some wine and throw on a steely dan record and rejoice in the clarity that last bit of silver got you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts