DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
If you wanted to replicate the home audio example of silver power cable you could use these rough approximate percentage lengths for power wire: 99% unshielded cable in the air, insert a step down transformer, run some wire underground for .8%, hit another step down transformer and hook it to a neighborhood full of cars, run another .199999% in cheap romex from home depot, then for that last critical .000001% use pure silver cable. Pour some wine and throw on a steely dan record and rejoice in the clarity that last bit of silver got you.
So what's your point? Power running up to your wall plug is not perfect?

Isn't that what the pure silver power wire is for? To inject magic fairy dust into the electrons running into your equipment and clean that power feed up?

·
Registered
2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab sport
752 Posts
That is the biggest load of crap ever... there is literally no science behind it in most cases...

In a car you just want the best conduction of electrons... the end, chassis upto a limit makes a nice job of the return path, and use appropriate sized cables for supplying current to the amps from the positive terminal to the positive terminal (well technically from the Earth of the battery through the chassis, into the amp, then back out of the amp down the positive line back to the battery)

In a house, what and where do you plug your lead into? Miles of thin spindly 2.5mm or 4mm copper cable... if the last metre made such a huge difference how can the other miles of it from substation to the house? They will be run next to all manner of other wiring... it’s snake oil

Some company’s use different shape conductors also...

If you want highly refined snake oil I recommend ps audio... 🙈
Welp most know where I’m at on the subject matter but here is a video you may find interesting... or you may not.. this guy is reputable and a little weird but I like his channel

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, you want to brain think using silver power leads, that will carry power generated by a (assuming) car battery made of lead, and a power generator that is copper windings . Then connected it a amp that is all copper and tin solder. hoping for a difference in sound you can hear. ?
Forget any testing graph data. The back to back test using your ears. you think you'll be able to see/hear a difference ?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Welp most know where I’m at on the subject matter but here is a video you may find interesting... or you may not.. this guy is reputable and a little weird but I like his channel
Oh Christ. Not this guy again. All he does is regurgitate sh!t other folks have said.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
So, you want to brain think using silver power leads, that will carry power generated by a (assuming) car battery made of lead, and a power generator that is copper windings . Then connected it a amp that is all copper and tin solder. hoping for a difference in sound you can hear. ?
Forget any testing graph data. The back to back test using your ears. you think you'll be able to see/hear a difference ?
Wait. I thought all the interconnects, traces, and solder joints inside a piece of audio equipment were oxygen free Silver :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:😀;)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Everything always carries noise even if it isn't audible to your ear because your ear isn't pressed up to the amp all the time.
This statement right here is the problem ... your driving around with your ear pressed up against the amplifier thinking you are gonna hear a difference between copper and silver wiring !!! ;) :)

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This statement right here is the problem ... your driving around with your ear pressed up against the amplifier thinking you are gonna hear a difference between copper and silver wiring !!! ;) :)
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😂

·
Registered
100 Posts
From my amateur audio/electrical enthusiast perspective, this theoretical is pointless. Not because it's a bad question per se but it's sort of treating the other components as a black box, with more noise in equaling more noise out. That's not the case on the power side of things. You can filter noise pretty effectively on a dc source. A well placed filter capacitor within an amplifier could nullify any effect of the power wire differences very cheaply and easily. The power supplies in the amplifier are designed for these purposes. The noise thing could be a much larger problem on signal wires because you cant just use components to low pass anything above dc because you've got audio signal there. In this instance, amplifiers will have more noise in= more noise out. This is combated by using balanced signal cables, braided cable shielding that goes to ground, boosting signal wire voltages for better snr, and etc.

Voltage stability, spikes, and etc are a more important issue in the car environment imo. But, that wasnt a part of the initial question.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
It's too bad Zapco wanted 100's of dollars for their Symbilink balanced line solutions. The technology is simple to implement and may have taken off in car audio if they weren't so damn greedy.

Reactions: K-pop sucks

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It's too bad Zapco wanted 100's of dollars for their Symbilink balanced line solutions. The technology is simple to implement and may have taken off in car audio if they weren't so damn greedy.
Yea I am about to put my symbilink cables and c2ks up for sale tomorrow

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yup... here we are in 2021 without it and we still have noise free systems for the most part... even back then triple shields were fairly common place, and it would also only work with their amps so it was like holding you to ransom to only buy there amps for a niche system... I agree that’s why it didn’t sell if I’m honest

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Reactions: trunks9_us

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Why would anyone want to use symbilink cables? A glass optical cable would be superior transport.
That solution was not available to the masses 15 years ago. But, That's exactly what I am doing today.

Ge0

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just watched that Youtube video, man was that painful.
All else being equal, I can see why the premise that differences people swear by are actually just pyschological is gaining momentum.
I was especially surprised that he insisted a high quality power cable made his old crappy gear sound better ..

As far as the original poster and his insistence that someone should do testing using silver power cables, all I can say is "fill your boots, test all you want and let us know how it goes"

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why would anyone want to use symbilink cables? A glass optical cable would be superior transport.
I'm a fan of optical but generally wouldn't use glass if I had to make turns like you usually have to in a car. Also, most amps don't have DACs onboard so it's not feasible to run digital to them. For running from a DSP to an amplifier balanced cables are still a great solution. With 5-8v being common for signal cables now I don't know if there is much perceptible difference between balanced and unbalanced interconnects, so maybe that's why they aren't being offered much.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I'm a fan of optical but generally wouldn't use glass if I had to make turns like you usually have to in a car. Also, most amps don't have DACs onboard so it's not feasible to run digital to them. For running from a DSP to an amplifier balanced cables are still a great solution. With 5-8v being common for signal cables now I don't know if there is much perceptible difference between balanced and unbalanced interconnects, so maybe that's why they aren't being offered much.
Balanced cabling will reject 6dB more noise than a standard cable. That's the difference.

·
Premium Member
5,822 Posts
Balanced cabling will reject 6dB more noise than a standard cable. That's the difference.
I thought that the CMRR means it could reject a lot more than 6dB?

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It can also amplify the noise as well as I have learned from my issue I am going to be resolving in my car shortly.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts