1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ive asked this question before. When I joined a few years back, the only car audio specific speakers people used were subs and that wasnt always the case. In the last couple of years it seems like the guys that looked for cheaper and better/different alternatives have died off. I remember having to look up some of the raw drivers people were using because I had never heard or seen them before. Every few months you seen the forum get a boner over a raw driver if the reviews are really good, but for the most part its whatever is for sale at your local car audio shop.

·
Registered
279 Posts
you can but the speakers tend to be odd ohms like 8 / 12 most car audio amps make clean optium power at 4 ohm
also you will need a crossover of some sort

if you go that route look for a poly cone not paper becuse of moisture in the doors etc.

most car audio speakers back in the day were made by vifa anyway LOL

·
Registered
329 Posts
No experience with 12ohm drivers but 8ohm is no issue at all. Only person that knew they were 8ohm was me :D Of course, i was driving them with a Mosconi AS300.2 but still. Pick good drivers, clean amps, and a capable processor and using raw non-mobile drivers is a fantastic way to go :)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
The entire pick a speaker from the Madisound or Parts Express mentality was the focus of many members here the entire purpose and only reason for exsistence for this website.

I never subscribed to that train of thought. I'm into Car Audio....fabrication....high quality amps....tuning....tasteful system design/layout.....not throwing a pair of 8 OHM drivers into my door to "see" if it performs well.

I consider myself an enthusiast/installer and luckily the site has gravitated more towards that end of the hobby.

Now does that mean I won't use a speaker if it's not marketed towards Car Audio? NO I use a pair of Fountek FR89EX along with a variety of tweeters I have at my disposal and they serve the purpose.

Will I ever use car audio specific driver? Sure I will. But right now I see no reason to change. There ARE other hobbies besides car audio after all.

Another thing is once you start running active you can swap out drivers at your leisure....but having to build passives.... NO WAY!!! Too expensive.....time consuming.....and a waste of amplifier power.

At the end of the day it's all about the music anyway. Once it turns into a gear swapping hobby it becomes worse than a woman that buys a pair of $400 shoes every week.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
For tweeters definitely! The Vifa ring radiator X25 I think it is, is as good as any car audio specifictweeter out there but costs around $50 a pair!

Woofers are a different story at least in fitment. A lot are around 3" deep and that can be a problem for a lot of cars like my Accord.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The entire pick a speaker from the Madisound or Parts Express mentality was the focus of many members here the entire purpose and only reason for exsistence for this website.

I never subscribed to that train of thought. I'm into Car Audio....fabrication....high quality amps....tuning....tasteful system design/layout.....not throwing a pair of 8 OHM drivers into my door to "see" if it performs well.

I consider myself an enthusiast/installer and luckily the site has gravitated more towards that end of the hobby.

Now does that mean I won't use a speaker if it's not marketed towards Car Audio? NO I use a pair of Fountek FR89EX along with a variety of tweeters I have at my disposal and they serve the purpose.

Will I ever use car audio specific driver? Sure I will. But right now I see no reason to change. There ARE other hobbies besides car audio after all.

Another thing is once you start running active you can swap out drivers at your leisure....but having to build passives.... NO WAY!!! Too expensive.....time consuming.....and a waste of amplifier power.

At the end of the day it's all about the music anyway. Once it turns into a gear swapping hobby it becomes worse than a woman that buys a pair of $400 shoes every week.
LMAO i love it good point (shoes)

- active yes but custom panels are made to the shape of a drivers and not all drives share the same size

dayton, vifa , tang ban , fountek , hi vi , aurum, all great speakers and these manufactures also make alot of speakers for car audio companies

vifa an audax made tweeters for some many company back in the day

·
Banned
6 Posts
Is this thread an attempt at spuring the sort of technical discussion that took place several years ago when Deema was in its hayday? Wasn't the use of raw drivers and active processing one of the things this site was founded on back in a different bat time and different bat administration?

I'm sure if someone cruised back into the DEEMA archives they could find some of the rich technical advice and discussion that seems to be missing these days.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I definately dig choosing my own raw drivers, nothing against car audio specific sets but when looking to find drivers that work in specific enclosures or angles, or just to suit a specific instal its hard to stay within the guidelines of mass generated matched sets that are voiced to work in typical car audio locations or voiced to be listenable in several different applications, but not performing well in any of them. Plus I see no sense in paying hard earned money for passive crossovers that suck balls in any situation than what they are designed for........... I mean how many of us really use stock locations for mids or tweeters? Just my opinion........and I wont say that you wont find any car specific components in my installs ever!

·
Registered
279 Posts
looks like it was started by an admin to show new or sortof new DIY there are ways to gain a real custom install with more options than Focal, Hybrid, a/d/s etc. I think it was a good topic to discuss and show the many option of a real DIY

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have been using raw drivers with great success for more than 20 years and rarely consider mainstream commercial mobile audio speaker sets. I have the skills to design my own passive crossover but do prefer active crossover in most installations. It is very hard to get the steep crossover slopes possible with active any other way. Agree with other posts that say 8 ohms does not matter. It doesn't. Good drivers paired with good amps are going to sound great no matter what impedance the driver is.

Peerless and Vifa lines have changed a lot in the past 5 years and it is no longer as clear to me which of their drivers will work well in mobile environments. Dayton offers a lot of suitable drivers. Seas does too. Scanspeak has some of the best drivers on the planet if you can afford them. If you are door mounting a speaker, you generally want to look for a Qts in the 0.5-0.75 range. You also want to look for long travel and a raised rear bump plate. If you can build an enclosure for the driver in its installation space, then almost anything is possible.

It takes more effort and research to use raw drivers and responses to this thread show that not everyone is into that. To each his own but don't put me down for still wanting to put in the time and effort to use raw drivers. This site was once a really great resource for learning about this and to see how other enthusiasts did it. I don't like seeing that content getting rarer with the passage of time.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Is this thread an attempt at spuring the sort of technical discussion that took place several years ago when Deema was in its hayday? Wasn't the use of raw drivers and active processing one of the things this site was founded on back in a different bat time and different bat administration?

I'm sure if someone cruised back into the DEEMA archives they could find some of the rich technical advice and discussion that seems to be missing these days.
My bad! I posted this before I noticed all the E-Ghey links.
I guess I made the false assumption that the admin gives a shit about the content of this site.

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
My bad! I posted this before I noticed all the E-Ghey links.
I guess I made the false assumption that the admin gives a shit about the content of this site.
he's up to his ears in oatmeal, and wouldn't realize the "crazy" of a few years back, is the backbone of this site's staying power.

the people that wanted to produce the best audio in their car didn't feel as if the drivers found in car audio packages were as good as the raw drivers available for the home speaker builder market.

these same people, who didn't accept the status quo, are the ones that pushed for objective measurements and when it was finally realized by npdang's use of the Klippel, the site gathered a lot of interested parties. The type of people who had some knowledge to offer, the type of people passionate about audio.

it's a shame it's come to this, in the same span of time a college education takes, to reduce this place to a swap market for goods and precious little of the theory is available for discussion, but that's a trend that can be seen across the audio world, as the extended recession develops repercussions in the design and development departments, and Bose fights the Chinese copy machines, and the innovations are coming few and far between.

lycan was a treasure of useful data, and it looked like a lot of it was his original thoughts.

Glasswolf was accused of putting together tutorials based on other people's contributions, but it was still good to see here...

and I didn't get caught up in the Elite crowd, but I believe that was another gold mine of info, now switched off in the ether nets.

no, we're runnin' blind now, people, when the principal dividing supposition, the very premise of DIY is relegated to the "crazy" of yesteryear.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I dont know man. I think it is possible to be too smart by half in car audio. I think sometimes we tend to over-think, over-analyze and over-measure stuff. Ive read some discussions on here that seem more technical and complicated than a neurosurgery conference. There is a lot of science to speaker building and car audio but I think it is too easy to get into the details so much that youre arguing and discussing things that will never make an audible difference in a million years.

The reason I like the raw drivers is because the car audio kits are WAY too overpriced and I dont want to have to pay an extra $200 for a passive crossover because Ive been active for over a decade.

·
Registered
199 Posts
"At the end of the day it's all about the music anyway. Once it turns into a gear swapping hobby it becomes worse than a woman that buys a pair of $400 shoes every week. "
:) Very well put.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's not unheard of for the component set makers to use off the shelf raw drivers.
May the "crazy" be with you, in a good way ;)

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
the combination of npdang's recent return to the forum and ANT putting the site up for sale, seemed like too much of a coincidence.

the site has turned commercial as we all knew it would with ANT turning the screws, and anyone eyeing this place for an investment opportunity would probably either recoup their investment by leaving it as commercial as it is now, or possibly ramping it up a bit even more as the membership has reached a level that is sustainable as a business opportunity and not just a niche site with peripheral advertising.

the most likely possible is that some new place is going to replace this place, like the others that came before this one, but there are several forums still here from before 2000 that are audio-centric and maintain readership, so who knows.

the industry has splintered, and this site is more adapted to suit people who are in the industry than what was before, and the use of off-shelf component sets and passives is probably going to continue to cut into the active demographic that this site contains, and has helped push the DSP category into the mainstream.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
he's up to his ears in oatmeal, and wouldn't realize the "crazy" of a few years back, is the backbone of this site's staying power.
Up to my ears in Oatmeal?
Confirmed.
Unware of this sites back bone? Hold on chief... I am well aware of the roots fro which this sites grass grows.
Also aware of the 6 or so members that created a bogus account and forced werewolf (lycan) out of the site with their immature trolling.
I am aware of all kinds of stuff, and to assume anything else is a mistake.

Npdang returning?
Me selling the site?
Nothing in common.
He is welcome to buy this one back if he wants it.
So are you

ANT

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wow thead gone bad !
As if a admin wouldn't notice a slap in the face by its members
Here is an idea if a member feels like he think he knows all the awnsers
To the wheels that run a forum - private message the admin
Don't measure your man hood in a post
And I think it says a lot of an admin to defend himself them just close or delete
The thread
I may be new here but I do try to follow the don't bash rules

1 - 20 of 113 Posts