DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm trying to upgrade just the speakers on my micra k14. From my research I've discovered the current woofers are wired in parallel with the tweeters. I think the tweeter itself has a frequency filter.
My new set of speakers will be focal rse-165 which have their own passive crossovers.
Since I don't know where the wires split between the woofers and tweeters, and I don't want to Run new Wire to the tweeters, can I put the crossovers that come with the new speakers in the doors, leaving the tweeter cables unattached, and get separate crossovers for the tweeters?
If so, what should the cutout frequency and power requirements for the Tweeter crossovers be?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
It seems like you are doing a lot of work, when the work is already done with the passive that comes with the Focal set. Unless you are going to go active, no real need to try and run two passive xovers, if that is what I understand you are trying to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems like you are doing a lot of work, when the work is already done with the passive that comes with the Focal set. Unless you are going to go active, no real need to try and run two passive xovers, if that is what I understand you are trying to do.
The problem is I would have to pass new wires from the doors to the A Pillars, where the tweeters are, and I don't want to do that

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The problem is I would have to pass new wires from the doors to the A Pillars, where the tweeters are, and I don't want to do that
hate to say it but if you dont want to do it, pay someone to do it and install it correctly if that is an option. If not an option, literally start looking at youtube or online on how to pull the door panel and figure out how to run the wire. This is one of those times where I say do it correctly the first time and be done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tweeters in your Micra have the capacitors attached to the tweeter itself

View attachment 281534
Guys please ready my post. I already know that. What I want to know is if I can replace my speakers where woofers and tweeters are wired in parallel, by a new set of component speakers, with a highpass filter on the tweeters, and with the crossovers that come with the new speakers working as low pass filters for the woofers.
My main concerne is with impedance of the system

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
This is so simple to sort... put the crossovers in the dash, use the existing wires from the door to the stereo for the mid in the door from the crossovers, then run a short wire from the stereo to each sides crossover respectively, and then a speaker cable from the passive in the dash each side to the a pillars... you then don’t need to run anything into or out of the doors 👍🏼 Simples

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is so simple to sort... put the crossovers in the dash, use the existing wires from the door to the stereo for the mid in the door from the crossovers, then run a short wire from the stereo to each sides crossover respectively, and then a speaker cable from the passive in the dash each side to the a pillars... you then don’t need to run anything into or out of the doors 👍🏼 Simples
Thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense! Don't know how I didn't think of that before. Problem solved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Btw, just for curiosity, would my high pass/low pass filter idea work? And can you use a crossover just as a low pass filter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Btw, just for curiosity, would my high pass/low pass filter idea work? And can you use a crossover just as a low pass filter?
Sorry, I didn't read your original post correctly. Looking on Nissan forums, this does appear to be a common frustration as the point where the wires are divided is incredibly hard to access. On the bright side, the crossover of the Focal speakers you're putting in is basically a 2nd order tweeter only filter. The woofer wiring within the crossover bypasses both the cap and inductor. As you can see below, the output of the woofer wiring is only there to make it easier to wire a single speaker system into a 2 way component system. Therefore you should have no issue having this crossover wired only to the tweeter.

View attachment 281580

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I didn't read your original post correctly. Looking on Nissan forums, this does appear to be a common frustration as the point where the wires are divided is incredibly hard to access. On the bright side, the crossover of the Focal speakers you're putting in is basically a 2nd order tweeter only filter. The woofer wiring within the crossover bypasses both the cap and inductor. As you can see below, the output of the woofer wiring is only there to make it easier to wire a single speaker system into a 2 way component system. Therefore you should have no issue having this crossover wired only to the tweeter.
View attachment 281581
View attachment 281580
Wow, now that is the perfect solution! Had no idea the crossovers only filter the tweeter side, thank you so much! This way I don't even have to mess with any harnesses. Btw, after inspecting under the drivers side I think the splitting point is actually showing, but this way I won't have to undo the harness, thanks a million! Can I just leave the woofers end unattached, covered with some tape?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, now that is the perfect solution! Had no idea the crossovers only filter the tweeter side, thank you so much! This way I don't even have to mess with any harnesses. Btw, after inspecting under the drivers side I think the splitting point is actually showing, but this way I won't have to undo the harness, thanks a million! Can I just leave the woofers end unattached, covered with some tape?
Nevermind, this time I'm the one who didn't look properly, the cables are detachable. 10/10

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
The issue with that is unless you split your crossover an unloaded crossover can become a short, so the only way to do it would be to unsolder your crossover and put it in some heatshrink or similar, it can be done... but not as straightforward as you think... and is harder than the way I put 👍🏼

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
View attachment 281581
View attachment 281580
If it specifys it’s 12db in literature it’s very possible to do what you are implying, but also consider it could be a 6db crossover between the two... one component to each side

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it specifys it’s 12db in literature it’s very possible to do what you are implying, but also consider it could be a 6db crossover between the two... one component to each side
I've created a separate topic for the crossover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts