DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sub section of my install consists of an IDMAX12 V4 in a 2.0cu ft ported enclosure tuned to 32Hz. I am currently using the infrasonic filter on my JL HD900/5, which is fixed at 30HZ 24db. Most of my research indicates 24Hz would be a better crossover point, based on the port tuning of 32Hz.

Would it be acceptable/recommended to instead engage a high pass filter using my TwK88? It would essentially be creating a bandpass for the sub from 24Hz-80Hz 24db L-R. I listen to a mix of material from old school metal (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth) to hip-hop (Nas, Tribe Called Quest) to rock (Rush, Journey, Led Zeppelin).

Any experience or insight would be greatly appreciated. The setup sounds great right now, but I'm just wondering if it can be made better.

· Registered
1,374 Posts
JL recommends an infrasonic filter 5Hz below tuning (Fb).

The only way to really know for sure is to model the driver/enclosure with the filter. This will allow you to see when you're exceeding excursion limitations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.