DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you use?....
They are : Dayton RS180-8ohms(debucked) ,ID CSX64 & the Silver Flute W17RC38-4ohms

·
Registered
258 Posts
simon21 said:
The phase plug doesn't move? Doesn't it move with the cone?
No. It's fixed to the pole piece, not the cone. By being fixed there, it becomes part of the motor structure. It lowers inductance slightly as well as adding cooling for the voice coil.

It also prevents frequency response and stored energy inconsistancies in the cone by the fact that there's no dust cap. Quite often, variables in the dust cap and dust cap glue can cause inconsistancies from driver to driver. Getting rid of the dust cap eliminates one potential variable.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim85IROC said:
No. It's fixed to the pole piece, not the cone. By being fixed there, it becomes part of the motor structure. It lowers inductance slightly as well as adding cooling for the voice coil.

It also prevents frequency response and stored energy inconsistancies in the cone by the fact that there's no dust cap. Quite often, variables in the dust cap and dust cap glue can cause inconsistancies from driver to driver. Getting rid of the dust cap eliminates one potential variable.
what he said :D

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
tell us how teh silver flutes work in the car... i've wanted to try them for a while, the price is definitely right.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
simon21 said:
How far does that pointy thingy come out when you play with it?
I told the last girl that asked me that..."oh about 7.5 inches dear, so watch out!" :)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kappa546 said:
tell us how teh silver flutes work in the car... i've wanted to try them for a while, the price is definitely right.
so far they sound good but only can compare them to the ID's b/c I did not try the Daytons(only have one now)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
strong*I*bumpin said:
so far they sound good but only can compare them to the ID's
And, how do they compare with the IDs? I am curious as I am a fan of Image Dynamics gear...and happen to have a set of the SFs in my closet. Was going to use them, got some CA18s, will have some Dayton RS soon. Thinking bout using the SF for my computer 5.1 system as a dual subwoofer setup...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AzGrower said:
And, how do they compare with the IDs? I am curious as I am a fan of Image Dynamics gear...and happen to have a set of the SFs in my closet. Was going to use them, got some CA18s, will have some Dayton RS soon. Thinking bout using the SF for my computer 5.1 system as a dual subwoofer setup...
To my ears they're on par with the ID's.I think the ID's have better midrange but the S.F.'s can handle the bass better.Waiting for the Dayton 4ohms version to come out,probably will be my next victim but the SF are staying for now.Maybe npdang can do his own test on the Silver Flutes on day.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
hmm, wouldnt expect that from a $20 driver compared to driver from a $330 comp set...but thats DIY for ya...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AzGrower said:
hmm, wouldnt expect that from a $20 driver compared to driver from a $330 comp set...but thats DIY for ya...
Just never know,what might work for me might not for the next guy.I have not heard good things about the Silver Flutes so I just went against the grain & just bought them.At one time they were mentioned by a couple of the top dogs over at the Soundillusion forum.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
yeah I bought mine off of this forum, for like $20 shipped for the pair. Figured I could use them for something...

·
Registered
258 Posts
kappa546 said:
I'm building a 2-way to use them in my kick panels. I'm pairing them with the 1" Peerless neo domes. I have very high hopes for this combination. I just hope these SFs are going to be ok up to 2500hz.

·
Registered
130 Posts
just wanted to thank you guys for this thread..................... just found it and those silver flutes might work with an old mb quart component set I just found in my closet instead of the 4" mids that came with them

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.