DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Violent Bass Air – Mythical Audio Sasquatch or the Real Deal?

Can the air inside your enclosure really make a discernable difference in the sound and durability of your subwoofer system? Can subwoofers cause once peaceful oxygen to transform into homicidal, violence-prone, by-nine extirpating molecules of death? What about Violent Treble Air? Does it exist, and is it equally dangerous? And finally, can VBA be manufactured synthetically? Some think so. Enquiring minds want to know! All of these questions, and more, likely will not be answered here today!

Violent Bass Air (VBA) is the phenomenon that occurs when subwoofers, usually only those geared towards SPL receiving 800 watts or more, compress the air both inside the enclosure and the atmosphere, triggering a psychotic reaction that can render Infinity six-by-nines (by-nines) intermittently useless. This is purportedly a by-product of the hyper-compression of the second atom in O2, induced by the rapid inward and outward movement of subwoofer speakers. Diagram below:

And a close up of the VBA transformation, with color for detail:

As you can see, VBA really does exist, and it’s a problem that must be dealt with. But how?

Fight Fire with Fire

Two well established firms in the 12 volt market believe they have an answer – KaleCo Automotive and JOMA. Though their solutions are similar, their approaches are very different. I wanted to find out if the products were just another attempt to take advantage of the audio enthusiasts that lack the proper scientific background to objectively evaluate their usefulness, or if these products made a sincere effort to alleviate an ominously new threat to the world of car stereo. Results below.

KaleCo Auto is a highly respected manufacturer of specialty automotive products. They have been in business for months or days or years or something, and they have a great reputation (just read the reviews on their website!) as an innovator when it comes to answering the needs of consumers around the world. When KaleCo heard about this new phenomenon, they immediately began working on their own product, seen here. Image below:

I ordered mine on Friday and received it the previous Thursday, thanks to their Flux Capacitor that I already had installed. So, I’ve had -1 days to play around with their VBA, and let me tell you, it was worth every second. This is how it was received:

Obviously, care was taken to ensure that the package arrived safe and sound, as noted by the use of VBA Constraining Clear Adhesive Rolls on the outside. It’s not mentioned on the website, but the VBA is ISO 9001:2000 certified, so you know you’re getting a quality product. Also, according to the website, it is 100% uncompressed Canadian Air, which is predisposed to be fervently opposed to any kind of violence. GENIUS! Why can’t I come up with these simple solutions that make people so rich. KaleCo must be run by the likes of Bill Gates! Upon opening the box, it was obvious that I had a fantastically tolerable product in my hands, and I couldn’t wait to try it! This is what I saw when I opened the box:

I put half of the VBA inside my subwoofer enclosure, and the other half was installed in the trunk. The difference in sound was amazing! Immediately, my front speakers sounded much safer and happier. I even found myself whistling along to my favorite songs! To make sure I wasn’t just imagining things, I used a high speed camera to catch the VBA in action:

There is no question about how well KaleCo Automotives VBA works. It is a revolutionary product and I would encourage anybody that cares about the wellbeing of your speakers to try this product. Please note, car alarms are not effective protection from SPL subwoofer induced VBA – even those equipped with glass breakage sensors.

Fight Fire with Slightly Repaired Fire

As promised, another 12 volt fixture has come up with a similar product. JOMA, located in the internet, claims that their VBA has been manufactured using ultra rare state of the art old school nano technology that is the best he has ever seen. How exciting! I couldn’t wait to get my hands on some and try it out for myself! Disappointingly, it arrived two days after I ordered it, unlike the KaleCo VBA, which arrived one day before I ordered it. Strike 1! This is how it arrived:

Note the warranty seal, which has obviously been tampered with, even though I was promised it had never been repaired. I was skeptical about even opening the box, as I was anticipating having to file a claim with UPS due to the damage. However, I went ahead and opened it, as I would only be out several hundred dollars more than the product was actually worth thanks to shill accounts driving up the perceived market value even if the claim didn’t go through. Another disappointment once I got inside. Strike 2!

My worst nightmare. The VBA was actually poorly repaired KaleCo Automotive VBA. See the picture below, and note the similarities between the JOMA package and the KaleCo package:

The repairs weren’t even made using OEM parts! I called him, and he threatened to sue me if I posted anything slanderous about him on the internet. I just wanted answers. He said that I got what I ordered, and that I couldn’t prove otherwise. Regardless, I already had it in my possession, so I figured I should give it a whirl anyways. Strike 3! Another disappointment – there was no audible difference in the sound after installing the JOMA VBA. In fact, I think it destroyed my flux capacitor. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY VBA FROM JOMA! His amps are fantastic deals, but his VBA has been nothing but a major let down.

In closing - stick with KaleCo Automotives VBA. It’s worth every penny, and will soon be endorsed by Snoop Dog, tspense, and Shaquille O’Neil.

·
Registered
0 Posts
endorsed by tspense!!! omg! They should sell it for like $1000000 now. Moar VBA pliz!!! ah wan mah windoz t flex bish!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
JOMA told me that the VBA he sells would make my IB install sound much better if I added some in my trunk. He said it makes the woofer act as if there was 10x its vas in the trunk.

I didn't notice a difference.

My refund and insurance claim was denied...

However, I was able to sell it back on ebay for a lower price than what I got it for. Ebay and Paypal are holding my funds.

Next time, I will just order direct from KaleCo

thread stickied for me :D

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I can't wait for VBA MK II at CES 2009. It's gonna be a killer VBA.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
Fo shizzle!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Does anyone know if I can design a passive floss over for the VBA? And is it safe to ship over to Canada? I assume the V part would not go through the customs.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I thought that the A - air part is from Canada, since it's mentioned on the website. Then they process it into V - violent and the sub adds bass down in the US of A. Am I wrong on my analysis? It means I can't get it drop shipped... too bad, I'll get hit by taxes and brokerage fees. Maybe JOMA can send it as a bronken/unfunctional product and I'll avoid the fees? I need one so bad for my box for the rear deck.

·
18,480 Posts
Violent Bass Air – Mythical Audio Sasquatch or the Real Deal?

Can the air inside your enclosure really make a discernable difference in the sound and durability of your subwoofer system? Can subwoofers cause once peaceful oxygen to transform into homicidal, violence-prone, by-nine extirpating molecules of death?

Good thing oxygen only makes up 20% of air's composition.

Anymore than that, and the VBA may trigger a spark and ignite the entire planet on fire! :eek:

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
It's your fault for not requesting internals pics before buying from JOMA, so suck it. Nobody ever listens.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts