DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

After a few months of listening to my system I fear my taste for VBA is growing. Is there any cure for this? It seems like now I just seem to add more bass than I use to and the tunes just don't sound complete now without some shake and rumbles. Maybe I should listen to a few other systems or re-tune the bass for a while before I am poisoned any further. :D:confused:

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh oh. Someone's jealous again. :surprised:

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I could have sworn Chad wrote about this exact kind of B.S.

you're giving Vegas DIY'ers a bad name, dude.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys sure aren't friendly around here. Sheesh. Lighten up a little. ;)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
IBTL!!

But seriously, this is OT BS, and secondly, do you even understand VBA? its not just about the DB's, you got no by nines

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IBTL!!

But seriously, this is OT BS, and secondly, do you even understand VBA? its not just about the DB's, you got no by nines
I used to have 6x9s. But they got burnt up. :(

·
Registered
675 Posts
I want my 5 minutes back that it took to look at this...well make it 4 minutes....

I spent a minute or two looking at the chick...

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want my 5 minutes back that it took to look at this...well make it 4 minutes....

I spent a minute or two looking at the chick...
Yeah, I looked at the chick too. :)

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
I could have sworn Chad wrote about this exact kind of B.S.

you're giving Vegas DIY'ers a bad name, dude.
I actually thought it was funny as hell and rather well-written, he DID in fact invent the industry term "VBA"

Help!

After a few months of listening to my system I fear my taste for VBA is growing. Is there any cure for this? It seems like now I just seem to add more bass than I use to and the tunes just don't sound complete now without some shake and rumbles. Maybe I should listen to a few other systems or re-tune the bass for a while before I am poisoned any further. :D:confused:
What you are experiencing is not uncommon, in the car audio world we have what many home audiophiles and sound-sluts such as myself yearn for. A relatively small amount of power, with a couple smallish drivers that are able to make tremendous amounts of subsonic low end. The yearning for more is natural.

I DO recommend listening to different systems and even re-investigating your music collection. In the meantime expand your VBA by playing with different amounts of mid-bass or "voicing." What you have now is versatile and should voice in many different ways. Play with what you have before making radical changes. A few minutes int he garage can sometimes completely change a system, trust me, I'm rocking new door speakers as of Sunday and it's sounded about 5 different ways since then :D

Chad

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Is this the new VBA forum?
:lurk::beerchug::smoking::drummer:

So how about those bass processors that actually add bass not just boost, or so they say...anyone used one?

Sure I like to dial up the thunder once in a while...maybe more when I was younger, on the other hand back then it took a lot to get subs that went as loud as common now. Today you can blow out typical highs/comps pretty easily, the issue is if you make the highs go louder you are going to trash your head.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
So how about those bass processors that actually add bass not just boost, or so they say...anyone used one?
What they do is add subharmonic information to the original material, kinda like a better tracking higher quality Octave pedal for guitar/bass.. I HATE them on an overall mix but find them SOOOFUCKINGCOOL in a live rack. They sum the subharmonic info to mono and pass the stereo mix so if you come in the unit right, out the left it's totally "wet" no original info included. Send out of an aux on a board and then return it into another channel. it will make a floor tom come out from under your feet! you can add as much as you want or as little as you want to ANY instrument. Even good in light amounts for "meating up" an acoustic guitar. Bobby McFerrin relies on one for his low end.

DBX unit is called the 120, they have the 120X, 120DS, and 120XP, i have a DS and XP around here, keep the XP in the rack. I think the behringer copy is the ultrabass, it's cool because it has a limiter. they can turn subs into confetti in no time :D

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
I feel left out because I didn't get to see what Tspence had to say since I put him on my ignore list!

Regardless, I still want the golden eared tspence73 to go and take the Richard Clark challenge though! He mentioned it enough times so it is past time for him to put up or shut up on that one. After all, $10,000 can get him some much more Violent Bass Air!

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I feel left out because I didn't get to see what Tspence had to say since I put him on my ignore list!

Regardless, I still want the golden eared tspence73 to go and take the Richard Clark challenge though! He mentioned it enough times so it is past time for him to put up or shut up on that one. After all, $10,000 can get him some much more Violent Bass Air!
Thou cannost helpeth but to readeth the wordings of tspence. 'Tis a curse and a blessing. :p;)

1 - 20 of 168 Posts