DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have ID OEMs up front, but considered moving them to midbass duty. The specs look nearly identical between the 160 and 160GTs so what's the real difference between physical design? Still considered a great quality mid for powerful, but neutral sound?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Are they still considered quality drivers or have they been passed by? Always been interested in Dyns, but never had the chance to partake myself.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Also the mounting hole configuration is different on the GT.

I'd consider them quality drivers, if their sound is the kind of sound you're looking for. Try to listen to them before buying.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read the threads about fake 160s, but non about 160 GTs. Were those also faked and how would you know if looking at a used pair?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've got the 160GTs in my car now. They're great midbasses. Some of the best tonality I've heard out of 6.5s.... ever. They' pretty much useless below 80Hz in doors, just keep that in mind. I tried running mine crossed at 63Hz for a while, and it simply did not work. 80Hz, 18dB/octave is how I run them now, and it's perfect.

IMO, Dyns seem really power hungry. Mine didn't show their true colors until I was feeding them almost 300 watts each.

·
18,694 Posts
Didnt say exact same, meant same performance
you running active with them? If so I would look into the HI-VI d6.8, same as the dyns but alot cheaper, might be alittle deeper then the dyns. I am about to order a pair up formyself

same performance = same

How do you know this? You haven't ran both? Have you ran just one of the two? It seems like you owned Dyn, but I'm not sure. Not enough to stake such a bold claim on, IMO.

Again, I wouldn't go so far as to say the performance will be the same.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had a friend tell me that his homebuilt nearfields with the Hi-Vi drivers in them were exactly the same as my Dyn AIR6s. We did a side by side comparison.

My friend owes me a beer now. And he sold his homebuilts.

·
Registered
983 Posts
you running active with them? If so I would look into the HI-VI d6.8, same as the dyns but alot cheaper, might be alittle deeper then the dyns. I am about to order a pair up formyself
Are you insane? What leads you to believe they're the same as the Dyns? Just because they have a similar looking cone and dustcap?

They are nothing alike. The Hi-Vi is just a cheap ripoff of the Dyn IMO.

Let's look at some of the differences:

The Hi-Vi is 8 ohm, Dyn is 4 ohm

The Hi-Vi is shielded.

Hi-Vi has a lower Fs due to the heavier cone (higher Mms)

Higher Qts, Qes, lower Qms on the Dyn

Smaller Vas on the Dyn

Dyn has copper in the motor, unknown if the Hi-Vi does, which it should at the prices they cost, especially for being made in China... I'm surprised they don't cost $7.40 as opposed to $74 :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Are you insane? What leads you to believe they're the same as the Dyns? Just because they have a similar looking cone and dustcap?

They are nothing alike. The Hi-Vi is just a cheap ripoff of the Dyn IMO.

Let's look at some of the differences:

The Hi-Vi is 8 ohm, Dyn is 4 ohm

The Hi-Vi is shielded.

Hi-Vi has a lower Fs due to the heavier cone (higher Mms)

Higher Qts, Qes, lower Qms on the Dyn

Smaller Vas on the Dyn

Dyn has copper in the motor, unknown if the Hi-Vi does, which it should at the prices they cost, especially for being made in China... I'm surprised they don't cost $7.40 as opposed to $74 :rolleyes:
The fact that Zaph says they are really similar in performance, I believe he would know if anybody does

And there you go giving your opinion based on looks and knowing nothing about them. I myself dont know but I tend to believe him over anybody on this forum

So are any of you more knowledgeable or had experience with the drivers then Zaph, if so I stand corrected, if not then you are just making speculations based on your opinions.

Like I said I tend to believe Zaph since he is highly respected at what he does more than any of you

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Zaph didn't say they were the same, though.

The fact that they are 8ohm seems like a fairly big drawback considering how power hungry they are, and the bigass shielding magnet totally makes them way less useful in a car door.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
i've got the 162's non GT in my car. They've been crossed at 40Hz 24db slope all season long without the first bit of bottoming out, etc. It's all in the install.

And yes, great midbass.

·
18,694 Posts
HI-VI d6.8, same as the dyns but alot cheaper
The fact that Zaph says they are really similar in performance, I believe he would know if anybody does

I myself dont know but I tend to believe him over anybody on this forum

The point is that you implied they were the same but they aren’t. I don’t really care about arguing for the sake of arguing. Just trying to point out that they’re not the same. Sure, maybe the hivi sounds as nice, or better than the Dyn but they’re not the same. I wanted clarification in your first reply, but then you said

Didnt say exact same, meant same performance

Which just made it worse.

You're basing your claims off Zaph’s findings but not your own so it would have been nice if you had stated that initially. I understand now, after the clarification but I still say that words should be chosen a bit more carefully; otherwise we wind up in this mess.

*didn't read zaph's site. don't need to for this point.*

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Since we've taken the poo this far:

zaph said:
This Hi-Vi poly cone driver has a 3" voice coil with an inset magnet similar to Morel and Dynaudio woofers. The difference is that the Hi-Vi has a superior motor and outperforms them in the harmonic distortion department. If I were going to use this style of inset magnet woofer, I would choose the Hi-Vi over Morel or Dynaudio. I hope you like screwing, because the Hi-Vi has 12 mounting holes which is a bit excessive.
http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

1 - 20 of 46 Posts