DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide what to do with my vented trunk enclosure design. My trunk is about 42" wide, so I can do a wide, shallow (front-to-back) design or a deeper, narrower design that doesn't take up the full width of the trunk.

In either circumstance, the sole sub (Alpine new 12" Type-R with 900wRMS on it) will be rear-firing and the 4" (aero port from PE) port will fire directly into the cabin by extending the port tube right through the rear shelf.

My goal for the whole setup is SQL.

Any tips based on experience would be appreciated.

(attached pic is the "wide, shallow" option... the 2.3 cu ft is before driver displacement, bracing, etc.)

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, for the record, I found out my own answer. The instructions for the Aero Port say that the port should be one port diameter away from any cabinet wall. So, I have to make the box deeper than I wanted to. Therefore it will be a narrower width/deeper depth box to accomodate the 4" aero port size.

Final dimensions should be around 13.5" deep x 28" wide x 14" tall. The port will stick out of the top of the box and be mated directly to the package shelf inside the car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dont' bring the vent into the cabin. That's a bad idea. The vent and the woofer need to be in the same airspace, otherwise you will end up with a sort of bandpass configuration which is not what you want for SQ.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont' bring the vent into the cabin. That's a bad idea. The vent and the woofer need to be in the same airspace, otherwise you will end up with a sort of bandpass configuration which is not what you want for SQ.
I was wondering about that.... what about putting the woofer on the other side of the baffle, so it fires into the cabin too?

Or, in the alternative, I could face the port the same direction as the speaker, firing backwards into the trunk.

Of those two possibilities, which would be better for SQ?

Im going for SQL (but leaning towards SQ).

·
Registered
148 Posts
In most cars, the rear seats do not attenuate bass much at all, so I wouldn't worry about having either inside the cabin. It doesn't really matter which direction any of them point, the main thing is to not have any obstructions in front of the port. The simplest way to do this is to have both point to the rear of the car (assuming the box is mounted against the back seats).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts