DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
I seldom listen rap and hip hop these days, but I'll agree, ported is the way to go with those genres. My Polk MM1540 in 2CU.Ft. sealed down firing enclosure powered by a JBL MS-A5001 does OK with it, but its not ideal.
With as many subs and configurations I've fiddled with throughout the years, certain genres just sound better with ported. Can't say I prefer one over the other as I like both sealed & ported, but it's very hard to replicate the more effortlessly pronounced notes of a correctly built ported sub when using a sealed. We're not just talking about the very bottom end either..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
If possible you should always use a SSF with a ported box. By design the box will unload the woofer at a certain frequency, and you need to protect that driver from freq at and below the unloaded point or risk damaging it. It has nothing to do with SQ or missing music, and everything to do with protecting the driver from freq's the box is not designed to play.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Having a SSF wont hurt anything if setup right and save your gear. I have used them for years and usually dont hear them really affect the music unless its old big band or jazz. Those genres usually have big low end, most newer music wont ever dig into that zone. Id rather have one set at 25hz and not need to worry about something tearing a coil vs just the hope of not needing it.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
With as many subs and configurations I've fiddled with throughout the years, certain genres just sound better with ported. Can't say I prefer one over the other as I like both sealed & ported, but it's very hard to replicate the more effortlessly pronounced notes of a correctly built ported sub when using a sealed. We're not just talking about the very bottom end either..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah, the effortless sound is what I like. Can't stand it when something sounds like it has to force out the notes. Same reason I will let a larger cone play higher if it sounds more realistic in a given range than the smaller driver it's handing off to.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts