DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I originally planned:
Do a vertical bi amp in my mids and tweets to my A4. Putting each driver to 1 channel.
My drivers are Morel Elate 6. The problem is my crossover. The driver comes with two crossover. I'm wondering how would I possibly do a vertical bi-amp given my passive crossover only have 1 output for a single channel? Unlike the DLS iridiums which has two seperate crossover for each driver (tweets and midrange) the Morel elates 6 only has the mids and the tweets configured in 1 crossover.
So my installer just connected them to the crossover then bridged the left tweet/mids to the Front channel, the right mids/tweets to the Rear channel. It's now working but I kinda want to try the vertical bi amp without bridging.
So, do I totally discard the passive crossover that came with my drivers and hook them up directly to the amp? Each driver to each channel? or just use the crossover to only 1 driver?(that sounds silly :? )
Please enlighten me. :roll:

·
Registered
531 Posts
i think you need to buy a simple 2 way electronic crossover....and ditch the passives.....if you have 1 channel available for each driver???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I attached Morel's diagram for bi-amp but the problem is one of the pre-out for the amp is dedicated to the midbass only. The tweets and the midrange share only 1 pre out. That is why my installer is telling me that the only way is to bridge it (left tweet+mids=Front / right tweet+mids=Rear).
Do you think I should ditch the passive crossover entirely?
(note: I didn't connect my midbass by the way to the crossover. I hooked it directly to an A3. There's nothing wrong with that is it?)
Thanks in advance.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
My personal opinion is it's a bit ridiculous to bi-amp a passive. The entire advantave of a passive is to allow operation with only 1 amp channel per side.. again Imho.

If your amps/headunit have active crossovers built in, you may want to go that route. It maybe far more rewarding once you get it set up and running the way you like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts