DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
although they have some damage to the frames, these are stupendous drivers and represent the best of JBLs engineering. highlights include ~90db sensitivity, 3" coil and a full aluminum sleeve! better than a simple faraday ring AND Al has much better heat dissipation properties than regular copper... better power handling and low power compression. AND YOU GET TWO!

JBL CENTURY GOLD RARE 12" WOOFERS PAIR - eBay (item 120400276975 end time Apr-30-09 23:44:23 PDT)

i'm a dumbass for not getting them myself but I just can't, but if someone here does than maybe i'll have a chance at them later on :p

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
by the way, these are an integral part of a 3way $5000 speaker. the frame i'm sure is scaring people off, but if u can deal with the imperfection you'll be rewarded with some sweet sweet bass. these can play very high too, they're crossed over at 600hz in the century gold speakers.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'd be concerned about the frames making it through shipping...they already will have lost alot or most of their strength, one drop/toss from the brown and i'd bet they'd be toast.

·
Registered
302 Posts
are these american bass good subs? How do they sound? where can I find the specs? looks like a good deal.

Just for drooling though really, no way in hell I'm ever going to put 2 15s in my car :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Those American Bass look familiar, re-badged RE or Fi maybe. If they work it's got to be a good deal.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just for drooling though really, no way in hell I'm ever going to put 2 15s in my car
actually now come to think about it.....................

if my DIYMA 12 disappoints me, I'm going all out and picking these up! I just realized they're in C springs and I can easily pick them up myself to save on shipping.

I need someone to help me with research though, I can't seem to find any info on these. a model number would be a good start? what box do you think I need for one of them? Any linkies? :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just emailed the seller, he 'lost' the parameters, but can do local pick up which is great. But how would I even build a box for them if I don't know what they are. Will they even work in a sealed box? can't find anything. grrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I just emailed the seller, he 'lost' the parameters, but can do local pick up which is great. But how would I even build a box for them if I don't know what they are. Will they even work in a sealed box? can't find anything. grrrrrrr

Dammit! If only we could figure out who the company was (American Bass) and find their website (American Bass is a manufacturer of top-end car audio equipment and accessories. Established in 1991 American Bass has grown to become the holder of numerous world records set in dB Drag Racing, USACi, and MECA.) and then maybe check their archives or phone the company, the compnay might be able to supply T/S parms. Dammit! If only that were possible. :p

·
Registered
302 Posts
yeah i thought about it, went through the website and didn't find anything useful, and got scared of the thought of having to speak with real life people instead of just typing in forums, surely you don't expect me to have to socially interact and communicate with people do you!? There is a reason why I want 2 15inches in a car - so that I don't have to talk to people even if they tried! :D

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I THINK Eminence built those, IIRC. I remember them being good woofers, but IDK any parameters. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
American Bass is a flea market brand...

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I'd be concerned about the frames making it through shipping...they already will have lost alot or most of their strength, one drop/toss from the brown and i'd bet they'd be toast.

Ahh, but if you look closer, the outer "ring" is merely cosmetic, look where it broke, it's almost a "fold" and the aluminum is less than 1/8" thick... Now look at the last pic, just inside of that flimsy ring, is a solid, thick ring... So in essence, you "could" trim a lot of that mess off..

If you knew someone that could laser cut a steel ring, that would be sized to "clamp" the woofer between it and the enclosure, you would be "golden"... lol...
Drivers can be "blue printed" either manually (I would have to dig up my Mobile Dynamics workbook) or I don't know if anyone that "testing device" that PE sells, that supposedly you can hook it up and the computer runs a test and spits out T/S... I couldn't say weather it works though..

Just something to consider..

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
At one time, no.
Not quite flea market....but at least a rebadger.

The speakers offered by them were never state of the art but not of poor quality.

They usually had higher Q woofers geared toward the BOOmer crowd with a very inexpensive line that actually had respectable specs.

But we all know that the enclosure type will dictate the final output and response of the sub system ....right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts