DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to power JBL ms 52c speakers rated at 80 watts rms (and also a sub at 350 watts rms). which of those 2 channel amps is better? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The ONX amplifiers do their rated power. Other parameters (SNR, etc) are ok. However, if I was interested in a high quality 2-channel amplifier, I'd buy Boston Acoustics GT-2125. The Sonicelectronix price right now is just $105-110 a pop. Let me explain, Boston Acoustics GT series amplifiers were a relatively high end line. Last year Boston Acoustics quit the car audio market, and right now stores are setting Boston gear virtually for pennies on the dollar.

For the subwoofer, I'd recommend one of PPI Phantom P600.2, PPI Phantom P1000.1 or Alpine MRX/MPR. Alternatively, you can buy one PPI Phantom P900.4 4-channel amplifier, and power two speakers and one subwoofer with channels bridged. These PPI amps are very popular as budget amplifier. They provide their rated power, clean signal, etc. I do suspect that the Boston Acoustics would perform better as a speaker amplifier, even though the install with two amplifiers will be a bit clumsier as you need more wiring, space, and distribution blocks.

Another interesting possibility is to buy a 5-channel amplifier. Let two channels go unused for now. When you're ready to go active, you could use the two extra channels to power tweeters. This is probably what I would have bought for a simple system (something like Alpine MRX-v70, tiny, affordable, clean sound).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts