DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
It sure looks good. I found a domestic aussie retailer who sells the shielded version of this driver....good news is that they stock both 8 ohm and 4 ohm variants!

Check this out

http://www.wagner.net.au/Catalogue/wagner0025.html

Page 06_45

I am planning on emailing them for a price. They are located in Sydney, where i am, so it's not too much trouble. Would you like me to get you a pair? no profit involved for me, just pay for the drivers and shipping. Lets see what the price is for them. If they are cheap i may pick up a couple myself. Stay tuned

·
Registered
164 Posts
ooo i just checked the price by calling, the price is not that cheap. its about 76AUD (or 58 USD) each. Shipping to my location is virtually free but to the US i estimate about maybe 30US by regular mail. Seems a bit pricey to me, do you think it's worth it? Tangband drivers seem a lot more cost effective dont they :(

You wouldnt happen to know what the xmax is on these things do you? If it's at least 3mm then it might still be worthwhile

I currently have a pair of these:

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-1231sh.htm

Which i am planning on using as a midrange (about 300Hz onwards). I love the motor and titanium cone, and it's really well built. plus it's half the price of the vifa (30USD each). But you have to buy them direct from tangband, no retailer has them yet. Not a problem for me since i am not far from asia but for you guys in the states, shipping might not be worthwhile. It won't play to 200hz or below but will be great from 300Hz onwards i think. When i posted about it in diyaudio the guys there were pretty excited about it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blackreplica said:
ooo i just checked the price by calling, the price is not that cheap. its about 76AUD (or 58 USD) each. Shipping to my location is virtually free but to the US i estimate about maybe 30US by regular mail. Seems a bit pricey to me, do you think it's worth it? Tangband drivers seem a lot more cost effective dont they :(

You wouldnt happen to know what the xmax is on these things do you? If it's at least 3mm then it might still be worthwhile

I currently have a pair of these:

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-1231sh.htm

Which i am planning on using as a midrange (about 300Hz onwards). I love the motor and titanium cone, and it's really well built. plus it's half the price of the vifa (30USD each). But you have to buy them direct from tangband, no retailer has them yet. Not a problem for me since i am not far from asia but for you guys in the states, shipping might not be worthwhile. It won't play to 200hz or below but will be great from 300Hz onwards i think. When i posted about it in diyaudio the guys there were pretty excited about it
Thanks for the help! I'll just keep my eyes open for the arrival of the TG series here in the states :)

Regarding Xmax, there's a simple approximation based on the geometry of the overhung design :

Air Gap Height = 4mm
Voice Coil Height = 9.2mm

Xmax ~ 0.5*(Voice Coil Height - Air Gap Height) = 2.6mm

I think that's right ... geometrically it makes sense. Anyone verify?

That little TB looks sweet ... I saw it on their webpage. Here's the big question for TB : CAN THEY SUPPLY GRILLS ????

·
Registered
164 Posts
300Z said:
I know the sensitivity is really low but wouldnt a NS3 be a better option than that TB3? only 1.25mm x-max on that TB... :(
I spent a lot of time thinking long and hard about what would be the perfect midrange. Now, i am no werewolf(LOL) but here is my reasoning anyway. There is no perfect midrange available for my application, so i had to weigh the pros and cons of the aura and the tangband and i felt the tangband compromise was better suited for me. Based on my calculations the TB 1231 is capable of playing to about 250Hz at nearly 100db before whilst still staying within linear excursion limits. For me, who is looking for approx 300hz as a crossover point, this is ideal. So the 1.25mm xmax will be fine. But its the underhung motor combined with titanium cone, with only one breakup mode far out of it's intended passband (i plan to cutoff at about 6KHz max), its absolutely ideal. Its Qts is also low enough such that it would function in an absolutely tiny enclosure (perfect for door pods) The real advantage this driver has over the NS3 is the sensitivity, at 89db. The aura's sens is just too low, and the way i see it, 5mm excursion is great, but in the end, it will be severely power limited anyway, especially when crossing low, so the net clean output you will get without cooking the driver would probably still be a lot lower than the tang. Then there are other minor niggles as well such as stories i have heard about the aura ns3 having a frame which is prone to rattling etc. The TB frame is absolutely bulletproof and looks like it is a lot more expensive than it really is. Just my opinion

BTW you're most welcome werewolf!

werewolf said:
That little TB looks sweet ... I saw it on their webpage. Here's the big question for TB : CAN THEY SUPPLY GRILLS ????
ROFL....dude, just run em naked, you know you want to :p

mk1982, yep i'm in sydney :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Regarding the frame on the NS3...
Due to it's design and high output, it's prone to rattling from air leakage. A small bead of rubber cement around the opening will solve that problem.
It seems the problem isnt exactly in the frame but sealing it from air leaks... just wanted to clear that misunderstanding...

I'm still unsure on what driver to pick... i want to try something similar to the Pluto project, but i want to run the driver full range, like from 250-300hz and up and a dedicated midbass... right now i'm torn between the NS2 and NS3... midbass will probably be a Dayton RS 8"... but that's for another thread... :p

Sorry for hijacking this thread...
Leo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear you Leo (yep I've visited Zaph's site)... but if air leakage is causing a frame rattle, you've got more problems than a little rubber cement will fix. The cast frame on that NS3 is paper thin. Sealing the face to the baffle may address one artifact of a flimsy frame ... but only one. I don't know what the resonant frequencies of that frame are (not the driver itself, but the mechanical resonances of the low-mass frame) ... but it's clearly the weak link in the mecahnical structure of that driver.

Yeah, you can add rubber cement. And add little pieces of dynamat or clay all around the frame structure. And maybe you'll tame most of the resonances & rattles. But like npdang said ... if Aura would build a cast frame around this little jewel, it's value would easily double.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Not enough room... i guess i'll just forget about this... :(

But say i want something that could do 94-98dB, would just a pair of the NS2 do it with low distortion? or should i find a way to fit the quad NS2?

Leo

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
the ns3 are the perfect size for my dash at least, but the flange is not round so its makes it hard to mount two of them on one side

just tried :( :( :( :(

I really wanted to use them as they look cool, but had to return them

and go with a single 5" driver

·
Registered
164 Posts
300Z said:
Yeah, after thinking about it some more i think i'll go with the NS2 or just forget about it... :(

Regards
Leo
hey dude if it makes you feel any better i am planning on running a dual nsw2 setup first. And i think that it will be very good too. 2 of them should be enough to work around the sensitivity issue with the auras and still be able to enjoy their many benefits, though you would probably have to settle for a higher crossover point for the nsw2(say about 500Hz). Fitting 2 nsw3 drivers per side is a different matter entirely though

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
blackreplica said:
300Z said:
Yeah, after thinking about it some more i think i'll go with the NS2 or just forget about it... :(

Regards
Leo
hey dude if it makes you feel any better i am planning on running a dual nsw2 setup first. And i think that it will be very good too. 2 of them should be enough to work around the sensitivity issue with the auras and still be able to enjoy their many benefits, though you would probably have to settle for a higher crossover point for the nsw2(say about 500Hz). Fitting 2 nsw3 drivers per side is a different matter entirely though
Please let me know how it turns out... i'm hopping i could do just the single ns2 per side as that would be much easier to keep the stock looking or at least somewhat stock...

Thanks
Leo

·
Registered
164 Posts
300Z said:
blackreplica said:
300Z said:

Regards
Leo
Please let me know how it turns out... i'm hopping i could do just the single ns2 per side as that would be much easier to keep the stock looking or at least somewhat stock...

Thanks
Leo
Wow, single nsw2 per side? You might have some efficiency problems there.....i am planning on running 2 per side....i expect it should be ok from a sensitivity viewpoint. I wont know the result till december though, i'll try to post about it here when the system is done.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
blackreplica said:
Wow, single nsw2 per side? You might have some efficiency problems there....
Why? You're so close to the drivers, that efficiency is FAR less important than it would be in a non-nearfield home audio setup. I think many people wildly overestimate the midband SPL they need.

Yep, I run a single Whisper per side, in an extremely high-noise automobile. (2-seat roadster with a perforated intake box and a cat-back.) I have no problems getting all of the output I want. Then again, I'm maybe more of a realist than some when it comes to car audio. I don't want or need a system that's going to irritate people from 100m away. I just want something that provides high spectral and timbral fidelity and is easily audible above the din. A single Whisper per side does that for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
point noted and acknowledged :D i know about your setup hence i use the word *might*

Its good to know that they work fine single, but i just cant get around something with only 80db sensitivity. Oh well, nothing like trying it for yourself

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
blackreplica said:
point noted and acknowledged :D i know about your setup hence i use the word *might*

Its good to know that they work fine single, but i just cant get around something with only 80db sensitivity. Oh well, nothing like trying it for yourself
I think you're confusing it with the ns3... the ns2 has a much higher efficiency.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.