DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Just a thread to humour things up a little bit. I managed to score myself a pair of the vifa TG9 drivers which have had some interest lately. Curiosity got the better of me so i decided to hook them up and listen to them. With a lack of enclosures, i used some coffee mugs i had lying around, sat the drivers in there, and hooked it up to my boom box. My mp3 player is hooked up to the aux-in of the boombox for the tunes. here are the pics:

These drivers are really well made, and sound pretty impressive! Due to the 'enclosure' (i think, probably pipe resonances?) there is a narrow 10db peak at 400Hz which adds a strange hollow/nasal quality to the music and ruins some piano notes but other than that the response of the driver i measured is pretty much like what vifa/dang has provided in the testing data. This thing is VERY extended in the treble, you could almost get away with not using a tweeter if you wanted, even off axis. Bass extension is also excellent. The boom box i have imposes a 300Hz crossover point and the driver has no problem playing that low even in a tiny coffee mug. it really thumps a lot given the fact that its hardly playing below 300Hz! :p I believe it could easily play down to 200-250 if required. That slight bumpiness in the 2-3KHz region is noticable in measurements but is kinda hard to hear in reality. Very smooth sounding overall and full of detail in the midrange. The driver has no trouble reaching ridiculous output levels with reasonable amounts of power so sensitivity is not a problem here at all. Mine are the shielded version BTW, couldnt get the unshielded versions here.

I think its got great potential...so who else besides werewolf, me and possibly dang is jumping on the bandwagon? :D Hows that mass order thing going for your guys in the US going?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Nice!

Personally, I think it audibly strains in the lower octaves especially at 96db... but I definitely agree that thing sounds like a tweeter with that kind of top end.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The treble really is awesome given that it's not a tweeter....i hardly notice any loss of upper end detail...maybe i am losing my hearing already...lol

Did you get a chance to try playing the driver as low as it could without introducing distortion or mechanical stress at 96db? Did it handle 200Hz ok?

Damn, this driver rocks....i wonder what i'm going to do with my tangband now LOL

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Cool, if these can really get away without a tweeter and off axis i could use them on my car paired with some XLS to handle the midbass... :D ;)

Where can we get them here in US?

Leo

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I don't think it handles 200hz at all, that's really pushing it. Around 500-600hz would be better. Looking over the numbers again, I don't know what I was thinking earlier? At 96db this driver isn't too pretty distortion wise. I just don't think a small driver like this can really handle that kind of spl. If you kept it around 90db it would be more reasonable.

At every frequency from 200-1khz, distortion is about ~5%-15%, and mainly second and third order. Reducing the drive level lowers distortion dramatically.

I think the Peerless exclusive 4" is a much cleaner mid.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thats tradeoffs i guess :) ...but theres no stealing the thunder from this mid, it really is very good for its price/size...i really love the way 3 inch mids are progressing...one day, with enough excursion, and a good motor, they might be able to match conventional 4 inch drivers in low end output and beat it flat in high end extension/directivity

Just did some SPL testing also...in my near silent room, forcing the speaker to play music at 94db/1m is almost deafening. if i mounted this on the dash, i expect levels to be at about max 90-92db/1m like 90% of the time. The remaining 10% of the time its just to bump so who cares about distortion :). I think the driver should be great for the levels i intend to use them at. :D

I'm really curious to know how a pair of NSW2s or the Tangband 1231SH stack up against this driver. i have both combinations so i guess i will find out eventually :) but since they are not with me now, i have to wait till december :(

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
It's certainly very good up top! Glad that someone recognizes how loud 96db can be LOL.

NSW2... I can tell you that thing you'll need a quad to match the trius haha.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Almost forgot, thought i'd post the measurements i took....kinda redundant since dang already posted them but there you go....

Here it is sitting on the floor with no enclosure or baffle, on-axis nearfield, at a pretty low drive level (took the measurements close to midnight)

I mean....distortion aside, dayum that is some pretty f****g impressive extension, 150Hz to 18000Hz no problem! Gotta love these 3 inchers

And here it is in the coffee mug (LMAO at the 400Hz peak)

My goodness, i just realised i made a mistake in my first post....my boombox crossover to the sub is at 150Hz, and not 300Hz! I was playing the driver down to 150Hz all along, ROFL no wonder it was thumping! Pretty impressive it handled the crossover point at some pretty loud listening levels without going nuts...i cant say the low end sounded the best, but hell who expects it to right? At sensible listening levels and a 300Hz crossover, i think i will be a happy man, at least till the next interesting and cheap 3 incher comes along :)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Actually there is an old trick that alot of people used to do about 8-10 years ago to create a small sealed enclosure for the mid bass drivers in the door panel. What you do is get an old tupperware container and make a fiberglass mold of it (some used to just use the container with dynamat on the outside of it), then use this mold as a baffle for inside the door panel. I actually did this somewhat in that I cut the baffle in half and used it as a splash shield for the lower half of the driver. I have these small holes in the bottoms of my doors for moisture venting, and when it rains the water splashed up. So these help protect the drivers from getting wet, but not enough to create an enclosed affect. (Thats what the sound matting does...IB)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I think i would be down with a groupy as well :) Gotta find a little 2ch amp first though to drive the tweets so i can use the 4ch on the Trius and Seas lol.

BTW anyone comment on the actual SQ, and detail of this driver in the 300-upper midrange. Basic range for a midrange in a 3way system.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its hard for me to judge because of the 400Hz spike but i with a 150Hz highpass, other than the 400Hz mess, and the fact that the lowest frequencies it plays is slightly muddy, i just can't fault this driver. With a 300Hz crossover point, i think it would really perform very well. The real magic then sets in as you go higher in frequency, i mean this thing sounds the way it measures. Soooo much extension, even off axis. I'm sitting about 60 degrees off axis from the speaker right now and by my estimate its playing close to 10KHz flat still, maybe more. I'm not missing any details anywhere in the midrange and treble from music i am really familiar with. And needless to say, all this from a slightly leaky coffee mug LOL, expect better results in a proper sealed enclosure

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not anytime soon unfortunately, my jigsaw broke and i am out of mdf aside from scraps here and there :) . The next time this thing gets a proper enclosure it will be in-car hehehe, unfortunately not soon :( thats provided it measures/sounds better than the tangband....i still have to send one to dang to get it tested!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.