DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was comparing these 2 tweeters. I noticed that the off axis response of the XT25 had alot larger drop compared with the XT19. Since alot of the listening in a car would be off axis, wouldn't having better off axis response be preferable? The XT19 was recommended to me, but this just brought up the bigger question of off axis response.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I would tend to think that the speaker with the flattest response off axis would be best for car audio. BUT it also depends on how and whereyou plan to mount them in your car. If you need to mount them off axis, then it only makes sense to get the one with the best off axis response.

G

·
Great off-axis response is not necessarily a good thing in car audio. I know it sounds strange, because "off-axis" is how we listen in cars. But here's why :

1. It helps to combat side bias. Yes, off-axis is how we listen ... but we also don't sit in the center of the car. You want attenuated output from the speaker closer to you, to help re-creat something resembling a soundstage. One way of achieving this, is to use the off-axis response difference of the drivers to your advantage. For example, you may be 60 degrees off-axis for a close-side door mounted speaker, but only 30 degrees for the far side. Or, notice that the best kick-panel drivers are not pointed directly back to the close listener ... each passenger is more on-axis for the farther side driver.

2. Great off-axis response can aggrevate reflections.

·
Registered
19,624 Posts
Bump because I'm wondering the same thing and would like to see some more opinions on this.... I'm mounting on sail panels, and am making mounts so I can angle to be not totally off-axis... but still, which then?
When looking at this, its best to look at..

1) (obviously) how you can get it installed. On or off axis, etc..

2) this isn't a point anyone brings up and im not sure why, as its can be important (hell, im having a related discussion on facebook message right now).. matching the polar response of the "previous" driver at the intended crossover frequency. This is partially why something like the scanspeak d3004 and r3004 exist.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
2) this isn't a point anyone brings up and im not sure why, as its can be important (hell, im having a related discussion on facebook message right now).. matching the polar response of the "previous" driver at the intended crossover frequency. This is partially why something like the scanspeak d3004 and r3004 exist.
Are you talking about something more "specific" than dispersion based on diaphragm diameter? Ex: expect a dip in the midrange in the driver's seat when pairing a 6.5" woofer with a 1" tweeter. I know you know this, but most of the speakers we put in cars barely even have an axial frequency response graph from the manufacturer that's worth a damn.

·
Registered
19,624 Posts
Are you talking about something more "specific" than dispersion based on diaphragm diameter? Ex: expect a dip in the midrange in the driver's seat when pairing a 6.5" woofer with a 1" tweeter. I know you know this, but most of the speakers we put in cars barely even have an axial frequency response graph from the manufacturer that's worth a damn.
I'm talking polar response

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
expect a dip in the midrange in the driver's seat when pairing a 6.5" woofer with a 1" tweeter. I know you know this, but most of the speakers we put in cars barely even have an axial frequency response graph from the manufacturer that's worth a damn.
Man I’m relatively new to this, but I see these kindof statements all over the place here and it makes me wonder, is this kind of issue at least somewhat neglectable when you have an active setup and can compensate?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.