DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and wanted to get some expert advice on a potential purchase I have (someone referred me here from another forum)...as a little background I have a 1986 Porsche 951 and just came into an option to purchase a complete "Vintage" 1980's Alpine Stereo system which was a common upgrade in Porsche and many other cars of this era.

What I am after is a value as this is a purchase from a friend and I don't want to rip him off....but also don't want to pay too much for something that I an not an expert on.

In short....here is the info that I need help valuing:

Decription: ALPINE Stereo System all of which is NOS Equipment from the 80's in orginal boxes, 100% working and bench tested, never installed with all paperwork and accessories/screws still in the plastic....boxes are in okay shape".

Here is the inventory of the system:

1 - Alpine 7155 Digital AM/FM Casette (65 watt)
1 - Alpine 3316 Graphic EQ
2 - Alpine 6363 6 - 1/2 Speakers
2 - Alpine 6029 6x9 2 way Speakers
1 - Alpine 6108 8" Subwoofer
1 - Alpine 3518 2 Channel Amp 40W+40W
2 - Alpine 3512 2 Channel Amp 65W+65W

Thank in Advance for your help.

Scott

1986 - 951 Stock with 56K miles as of 03.21.2011
2009 - MB C300 Sport AMG - DD
WWW DOT SaturdayMorningCars DOT Com - Founder

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I wouldn't expect the speakers and subwoofer to last long. The cone surrounds are foam and they will dry rot. The amps, EQ, and head unit might be ok but they also don't last forever. If you want this for a period-correct restoration it might be worth quite a bit, but if you want to put it to use I recommend newer equipment. There's no set market value on these items, but I sold a bunch of that vintage Alpine amps and head units over the last year on eBay so here's my best guess:

7155 - $100+
3316 - $150
3518, 3512 - $150 each

These values are on the low end, most likely, as if you get the right seller doing an excellent listing combined with a buyer who badly wants those parts the perceived value could go up. The speakers are the biggest gamble as, like I said, the surround can decay over time depending on how they were stored.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am new here and wanted to get some expert advice on a potential purchase I have (someone referred me here from another forum)...as a little background I have a 1986 Porsche 951 and just came into an option to purchase a complete "Vintage" 1980's Alpine Stereo system which was a common upgrade in Porsche and many other cars of this era.

What I am after is a value as this is a purchase from a friend and I don't want to rip him off....but also don't want to pay too much for something that I an not an expert on.

In short....here is the info that I need help valuing:

Decription: ALPINE Stereo System all of which is NOS Equipment from the 80's in orginal boxes, 100% working and bench tested, never installed with all paperwork and accessories/screws still in the plastic....boxes are in okay shape".

Here is the inventory of the system:

1 - Alpine 7155 Digital AM/FM Casette (65 watt)
1 - Alpine 3316 Graphic EQ
2 - Alpine 6363 6 - 1/2 Speakers
2 - Alpine 6029 6x9 2 way Speakers
1 - Alpine 6108 8" Subwoofer
1 - Alpine 3518 2 Channel Amp 40W+40W
2 - Alpine 3512 2 Channel Amp 65W+65W

Thank in Advance for your help.

Scott

1986 - 951 Stock with 56K miles as of 03.21.2011
2009 - MB C300 Sport AMG - DD
WWW DOT SaturdayMorningCars DOT Com - Founder
Scott- you might want to itemize all the DIN cabling you have as well, should someone wish to buy this stash of vintage gear to use...welcome to one of the internet's best audio forums. If you do decide to sell that gear, this is probably the place :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trumpet, Basicxj,

Thanks to both of you for your feedback....I think I am going to take your advice and most likely list it on eBay for sale as a group since you have to be a paying memeber here to post stuff for sale.

As for the speakers, yes the foam is toast....looked completely fine until I lighlty pressed on it and it split.....good thing is all of the grills etc are perfect so I will sell them as "parts only".

Thanks Again for your help....and if you ever need help regarding a Porsche.....be sure to send me an E-Mail.

Scott

·
Registered
254 Posts
Trumpet, Basicxj,

Thanks to both of you for your feedback....I think I am going to take your advice and most likely list it on eBay for sale as a group since you have to be a paying memeber here to post stuff for sale.

As for the speakers, yes the foam is toast....looked completely fine until I lighlty pressed on it and it split.....good thing is all of the grills etc are perfect so I will sell them as "parts only".

Thanks Again for your help....and if you ever need help regarding a Porsche.....be sure to send me an E-Mail.

Scott
As per the forum rules, you have to contribute 50 posts to list items in the classifieds- upgraded membership has a number of perks including lifting the post limit before selling, but it is not required to pay to use the classifieds (if one is a contributing member).

Good luck selling those old-school pieces- hopefully you'll find someone who appreciates them on eBay...I would have thought this forum's classifieds would extract maximum $$$ if you were to have hung in there.

Are those the series of speakers that came with square perforated metal grills that press into a square aluminum housing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The one that I opened was a hexagon shape and the covers are removable and are not pressed in.

I will take some pictures tonight and post them tommorrow as these photos would be a great archive for your guys forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts