DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some custom panels using speaker rings and fiberglass and body filler. I left most of the plastic panel intact, just modified the part where the speaker would fit in, and shaped it to have smooth curves and all that.

So the the piece is part stock plastic and part body filler. That's the final surface the vinyl was applied to.

I used DAP weldwood contact cement. I coated the piece and the vinyl backing heavily and let dry for at least 2 hours. I then pressed the vinyl to the piece.

In the heat of my car it has started to separate.

Did I not let the glue sit long enough before contact? I've read some let it sit for up to six hours. Should I try some 3M 80 spray instead?

About retrying it all... once i tear off the vinyl, how should i go about prepping the surface for another try? Sand off all the glue from the first run? Then maybe a 40 grit "rough up" sand before using the next glue?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
10 minutes?? That's it? I'm sold
I haven't had any problems with it minus one person that left the can of glue in their car, the top popped off and it leaked in the shipping container. Used the glue and it lifted...not the glue's fault.

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
2 hours? that's pretty long. with the landau top adhesive, i usually wait 10 min or so, and up to 30-40, but not much longer.

if you're in los angeles, it's probably not going to be easy to find that glue though. it's not legal to sell in certain counties.

but, pretty much every auto upholstery place should have some. just no way to do most jobs without it. so, they get it. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had any problems with it minus one person that left the can of glue in their car, the top popped off and it leaked in the shipping container. Used the glue and it lifted...not the glue's fault.
Can I brush it on?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
if anybody finds some in the l.a. area, let me know because most sites won't ship to california due to the chemicals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts