DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so while cleaning my car and jammin to some tunes i forgot i already had the car running and tried to start it again. of course it made that god awful noise. but since then whenever i accelerate i've noticed my voltage goes down instead of up. so i thought bad batt or alt. took it to autozone to get checked they said batt needed to be charged to check the alt while it was in the car. so i took the batt out had them charge it they said batt checke good. so i put the batt back in to check the alt again they said their thing says batt needs to be charged. i was like wtf! so i PULL the alt and let them check just the alt. alt passed. so i said f it it's a 4 year old batt i'll buy a new one so i bought a new one. and same thing. any ideas?

cliffs: when i step on gas instead of voltage going up it goes down.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes when i let up the voltage goes back up

for example idleing i'd be at lets say 12.8 when i step on the gas it'd go to like 12.2. before it'd always go up.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Assuming the numbers on your example are actual.......

12.8? That's about 1.6 volts lower than it should be while the car is on, and about right with the car off and running off the bat. It's pointing to a charging issue if that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so then the alt?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
If it were 1980, I'd say the alternator. Now?, take it to a "certified technician" (or two).

You should know if it's the alternator after a few day though, if the battery gives out.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's a 94 buick lesabre if that helps any lol

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so i'ma just take it in and tell them to give me a new alty since it's got the lifetime warrenty

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
ok so i'ma just take it in and tell them to give me a new alty since it's got the lifetime warrenty
Hope it works out. My dad has a 2010 $90K BMW X5, which keeps on giving him a "recharge" bat indicator light. It even kills the AC to conserve power (during Miami summers mind you :/) . Last time he took it in for that, they found NO PROBLEMO. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I had the same thing happen a few years ago.Everything checked good, but in the car voltage would drop when accelerated.Turns out it was a bad connection on the plug that went into the alternator.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for that tidbit. i'll inspect the plug really good damn shame they put them things on the back side where you have to take the alt off to even see it.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
might check the belt too. my rabbit did that when the belt was wore out. when you hit the gas it would slip and the voltage would go down.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well this morning i had no probs everything did what its suppose to do. so for now i'ma just wait and see.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would definetly agree that it is a charging issue, where that car is a bit older you may have a seperate voltage regulator not on the alternator. Some of the mid 90's GM computer were shall we say a little "iffy?". The easiest way to figure the problem is to hook it up to a car specific computer. I'm pretty sure obd 1 or 2 isn't going to find this problem. My guess would be the following:
1. Bad battery terminals/alt wires (where the car is more than 10 yrs old I would replace these wires without hesitation, if you're a diy guy you can make a nice new set for about $25 for both plus some solder)
2. Voltage regulator (Mid 90's GM had all types of computer issues some cars were worse than others, If your Buick has the 3800 motor 3.8 v6, than this is most likely the issue...imo)
good luck

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would definetly agree that it is a charging issue, where that car is a bit older you may have a seperate voltage regulator not on the alternator. Some of the mid 90's GM computer were shall we say a little "iffy?". The easiest way to figure the problem is to hook it up to a car specific computer. I'm pretty sure obd 1 or 2 isn't going to find this problem. My guess would be the following:
1. Bad battery terminals/alt wires (where the car is more than 10 yrs old I would replace these wires without hesitation, if you're a diy guy you can make a nice new set for about $25 for both plus some solder)
2. Voltage regulator (Mid 90's GM had all types of computer issues some cars were worse than others, If your Buick has the 3800 motor 3.8 v6, than this is most likely the issue...imo)
good luck
1. already did that with the big 3 upgrade

2. voltage regulator is built into the alt. but it does have the 3800 engine in it. it better not be my computer i just changed that like a year ago.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had this problem last winter... It turned out that on the ends of one of my grounds I did on my big 3 was a little corroded.. I striped and retrimed them... Never had a problem after that

Sent from my Gummy Charged GBE 2.0 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts