DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been reading here for some time and decided to make a thread because I'm going to redo the audio in my car. The build is not going to be a fast build, I don't have all the parts yet, but I'll update when something new has been finished. I used to have a 850R which was wrecked in an accident about 6 weeks ago. Since that time I bought an S70 with only 90k miles, so practically new.

The stuff I'm going to use is as follows:
  • Factory HU-1205 navigation unit
  • iMiv iPod adapter
  • Rainbow SLC 265.25 NG compo set
  • Rainbow iPaul 4.300 White
  • Rainbow 10" Amboss
  • And some other misc stuff
I'm probably going to leave the stock 8" woofers that are in the rear connected to the HU. If I can integrate it soundwise to the rest of the system. If I can't, I'll remove them.

My 850R:

My S70:

So, the S70 has the factory HU-1205 with navi and still has the factory speakers. It just doesn't sound right, so there are some things that are going to have to change. In my previous car I had a Pioneer DoubleDin HU, but since it wasn't OEM it never really seemed in style with the rest of the dashboard. That's the main reason why I decided to sell the Pioneer and use the factory HU, probably sacrificing some SQ in doing so.
But the HU does have an amplifier connection to connect the factory amp, and that's what I'm going to use for my amp.

The factory amp connection is a 6 pin DIN connector. I ordered one at a local supplystore and started to make my own cable. I used shielded microphone cable, we had that lying around, and it will probably do the trick just fine.
Following images are the making of the cable. At least the end where the DIN connector is. The other end can be made when I know how long the cable has to be.

So this is as far as I got. I ordered the iMiv unit yesterday so probably will be able to install it this weekend.
This is the iMiv, I hope it works as advertised.

iMiv iPod / iPhone adapter

Update as soon as I have something new to update.

I can't use smilies as I can only attach 10 images. Bummer!! LoL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Guessing you did the Comets/R Bumper? Looks great! I've never seen a factory Headunit with Nav in an S70... must have been on a non-US Spec thing...

Gonna have to keep an eye over here to get some ideas of what to do with mine! I have an aftermarket headunit so the next logical steps for me are an amp to run the door speakers and then install some new speakers all around and maybe a better headunit.

Can't wait to see what you do with this! Good Luck!
-John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The R-bumper and Comets, but also dual exhaust were already fitted when I bought the car. I did put on the spoiler, though it already came with the car. The previous owner was an enthousiast as well.

The HU-1205 was a Euro-spec only radio. Never came in the US. It is a nice radio. Clean and simple. Back then it was an option for the S/V40.

Can't wait to get started! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put first photo with volvo like a screenshot! :rolleyes:

OEM look is the best! Succes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm planning on using the stock speaker locations, because I want it to look stock. But I'm aware of how it looks behind there. No room to vent into the doors, only between door and doorcard. Isn't that why you mounted the kicks in the footwells in you old 850?
I haven't really figured it out yet, but I know it's going to be a pain in the ass.
Kicks in the footwell isn't really an option for me as I have a clutch pedal and pretty big feet! :D

You have any pointers or thoughts about it?

BTW your installs are always very inspirational. Thank you!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Have you double checked the mounting depth of the Rainbow SLC 265.25 NG compo set
I put a set of Focal Polyglass 165v shallow mounts and after 1 layer of SS I didn't have any extra space. You only have about 2.3-2.5 mounting depth. Good luck in your install and take lots o pics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to make a lot of Pictures, don't you worry about that.
And concerning the mountingdepth, yes I did check it. But today I made a last minute change and went with the Profi line CMX 265. But I'm probably going to cut the doors open anyway. If that's possible. I'll just have to make it work I guess. :D
Not really made my mind up yet!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am going to make a lot of Pictures, don't you worry about that.
And concerning the mountingdepth, yes I did check it. But today I made a last minute change and went with the Profi line CMX 265. But I'm probably going to cut the doors open anyway. If that's possible. I'll just have to make it work I guess. :D
Not really made my mind up yet!
Double check it cuz cutting the doors wont gain you much room. We were gonna do it mine but I would just not gain enough to make it worth it.

·
4,981 Posts
I'm planning on using the stock speaker locations, because I want it to look stock. But I'm aware of how it looks behind there. No room to vent into the doors, only between door and doorcard. Isn't that why you mounted the kicks in the footwells in you old 850?
I haven't really figured it out yet, but I know it's going to be a pain in the ass.
Kicks in the footwell isn't really an option for me as I have a clutch pedal and pretty big feet! :D

You have any pointers or thoughts about it?

BTW your installs are always very inspirational. Thank you!

i would avoid the stock location, it basically is like a speaker mounted out in the open. very little midbass response.

as far as kick panels go. if you choose the right speaker and don mind cutting up your metal a lil, you can recess it in far enough that you wont have to worry about the clutch pedal.

or, you can make a door pod out of the pocket area at the lower door, but as you can imagine, it isnt the easiest mold job...but that may be your best bet if kicks are totally out of the question :)

b

·
Registered
26 Posts
i would avoid the stock location, it basically is like a speaker mounted out in the open. very little midbass response.

as far as kick panels go. if you choose the right speaker and don mind cutting up your metal a lil, you can recess it in far enough that you wont have to worry about the clutch pedal.

or, you can make a door pod out of the pocket area at the lower door, but as you can imagine, it isnt the easiest mold job...but that may be your best bet if kicks are totally out of the question :)

b
I thought about making low kicks since I have an extra set of door panels... might have to make that my next project!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I'll have to think really well over what to do. Hmmmm

Meanwhile I got me some stuff yesterday.

Volvo iPod adapter to play iPod/iPhone on the HU-1205.

Speakers, Rainbow CMX 265

Woofer, Rainbow 10" Amboss

And best of all, amp Rainbow iPaul 4.300

So, that is going in my car. Also got some power cable to power the amp and some deadening material. Still have wire to wire speakers and woofer so I didn't need that.

To be continued. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, today in the cold weather I installed the iMiv iPod adapter to attach iPod/iPhone to my factory HU. It works fantastic. Hard to describe.

First I installed the control unit. Because the cable plug had a nasty 90 degree bend in it (Why????) I had to install it against the Parrot module so the connector could be connected. There was no decent other way.

I fabricated a bracket to mount my iPhone. This is attached inside the dash. I have to remove the topplate of the dash, but if I ever remove it, I will not be stuck with nasty holes in the dash.

So, how does it work? Well it is connected to the cd changer connector on the radio and supports all functions that are supported for the cd changers. So I can change playlists and songs all with the buttons on the HU.
It even has songtext so I can see which song is playing. Overall a very good addon to the radio and I'm very pleased with it.

As an added bonus, I can even play internet radio through my phone. I can zap between my favorite stations by pressing the prev/next buttons, and... it givens me songtext in the display as well.
So, very good device, and I'm very very satified with it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
So, today in the cold weather I installed the iMiv iPod adapter to attach iPod/iPhone to my factory HU. It works fantastic. Hard to describe.

First I installed the control unit. Because the cable plug had a nasty 90 degree bend in it (Why????) I had to install it against the Parrot module so the connector could be connected. There was no decent other way.

I fabricated a bracket to mount my iPhone. This is attached inside the dash. I have to remove the topplate of the dash, but if I ever remove it, I will not be stuck with nasty holes in the dash.

So, how does it work? Well it is connected to the cd changer connector on the radio and supports all functions that are supported for the cd changers. So I can change playlists and songs all with the buttons on the HU.
It even has songtext so I can see which song is playing. Overall a very good addon to the radio and I'm very pleased with it.

As an added bonus, I can even play internet radio through my phone. I can zap between my favorite stations by pressing the prev/next buttons, and... it givens me songtext in the display as well.
So, very good device, and I'm very very satified with it.
I like your taste in music my friend, I actually saw Joris Voorn play on a boat cruise here about 1 year ago, fantastic artist/dj!

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
I cant tell from the photo's but what year is your 70? I have an 01 C70 and used factory locations with GREAT sucess.
Great job so far, keep it up

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool thnx.

Mine is an 1998 model. Haven't had time to open up the doors yet to see what I'm working with. I know the Premium sound system with Dynaudio sounds awesome. So there must be a way to make it work with stock locations... one would think! ;)

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
If it has the same as what mine came with yours can fit an 8" woofer that is EXACTLY 3" deep. The dash locations can fit up to a 4" midrange if you want to do that instead of the upper door locations which are only 2" deep.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you, that is some very useful information!
The factory woofer location in the doors is still my most favorite option, so that is probably what I'm going to make work. But it will involve some cutting in the doorpanels.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts