DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New car. New problems... got it two days ago and the damn ABS sensor failed on my way home from the seller. Locked up the front wheel and I've been dealing with that till now...

It's a VW Golf MK6 2010 GT (Wolfsburg Edition) with the 1.8TSI engine with 160hp. 7-speed DSG transmission, rebuilt like one month ago (these seems to have issues).

Anyway, ordered all stuff needed except the headunit (which is really expensive). We'll see what to do about the HU later. Basically nothing from the Passat build is going into this one - still not decided what to do with that car yet. Going for a OEM style build, lots of "behind the scenes" stuff but not much visible except the sub and midranges. Going for a 2-way front with 2,5" fullrange drivers and 6,5" mids in stock door places. Have to make the best of it. Going to be a 6th order parallel bandpass sub with either one or two 10". Ordered an "integrated enclosure sub-amp" (home sub style), really cheap ETON amp, like $120 for [email protected] / [email protected], efficiency should be very high anyway.

HU: Alpine I902D-G6 (Most likely) - it's like $1200-1300 here though. It's a custom 9" dual-din car specific headunit with CANBUS functionality. Needed since there's functions that use the OEM unit.
Midranges: Peerless/Tymphany TC7FD00-04 2,5" Fullrange Drivers
Midbass: ESX VE-6.2W MKII (6,5" Open-air drivers)
Sub(s): GAS BEAT104 (10" sub) - Got them for $25/pc and they seem decent enough...
Amp/DSP: Axton A540DSP - 4x30W amp with built-in BT stream and DSP control from Android/iPhone. Won't break any SPL records but should be enough for this...
Amp 2: ETON AM 300 - Subwoofer amp.

Will be some 3D-printed solutions and of course a pair of nice looking sail-pods for the fullrange drivers that match the car's interior. The subwoofer will probably be the biggest challenge.

More info, measurements and stuff when the stuff arrives. I'm in the middle of designing the enclosure. It's going to be an interesting one. Perhaps the most complicated I've built yet.

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
Good luck. If you need any pointers, I’ve had just about ever piece of the interior taken out of my MK6 more than once. I just finishes the sub box, and I’m waiting on an amp.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Seems like an interesting build!

Will vagcom not work to program the OEM HU to provide a full range low-level output?

And/or maybe use a small portable DAP like the Hiby R3 connected directly to the DSP for a better SQ source that you can also use on-the-go?

Hiby R3 Portable DAP

What are the main advantages to the complicated subwoofer enclosure you are building? Size? Efficiency?

And does the DSP not have the available channels to add a small tweeter such as the Dayton 5/8" ND16FA-6? They are extremely small and will easily fit in the top section of triangular sail panel pods with a small midrange placed below. Great center-to-center spacing and will mate up well with small mids. They are about $10 USD each.

Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Neo Tweeter @ Parts-Express

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Built in DSP is 5 channel, so there's an output to the sub amp. Thought about adding a small neo tweeter, will have to make a passive crossover which shouldn't be that much of an issue really.

6th order BP is the best enclosure possible if you got a DSP and are able to build them right. Lowest nonlinear distortion of basically all common types of designs, most efficient as well, size is bad of course. Hoffmans law...

It's not by any means written in stone. Might add a tweeter, fullrange drivers in this size are tricky to get right above 8-10kHz. Reason why I got much of this equipment were decent reviews and a black friday sale basically. All my builds are always snowballing away ;)

Might take you up on that, gj!

That portable unit seems cool, that's a good option...

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, this project is cancelled before it even begins. Got ripped off, the engine has suffered catastrophic failure after less thsn 50 miles of driving and I might as well tow it to the junkyard. $8000 lost, feels like I wanna cry inside :(

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
No way! I am so sorry to hear that. Do you have any recourse with the seller?

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
Sorry, this project is cancelled before it even begins. Got ripped off, the engine has suffered catastrophic failure after less thsn 50 miles of driving and I might as well tow it to the junkyard. $8000 lost, feels like I wanna cry inside :(

That's a huge bummer, I was a bit worried when I saw the 2010 date. For MK6 GTI's you need to stick with 2013 or 2014, or at least make sure the time chain tensioner was updated, along with the water pump, and usually the intake manifold. The early MK6's had some issues.

However, I got a letter in the mail just a couple of days ago regarding the water pump, there is a lawsuit, so you may be able to get some help afterall. There may even be something in place for timing chair tensioner, and manifold. Look into all of them before you scrap the car.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like a piston ring has failed. I got a friend who might look into it, it won't be cheap anyways... All stuff I ordered has arrived, might do a few normal product reviews on those instead later. Fkn cars... =/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry about the engine failure just when the audio build was gatheting steam.

I sold my Passat B5 with a ADR engine last December after 13 years of trouble free driving save for fan bearing and fuel pump failure. Having such good experience, I started looking into a 2012 model to replace it but could only find models running the troublesome TSI CAX 1.4 engine that suffers from a host of issues from timing chain tensioner, piston, turbo and DSG transmission mechatronic unit failure. Since then, I have steered clear of VAG cars.

Hope you will get yours up and running smoothly. All the best.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about the engine failure just when the audio build was gatheting steam.

I sold my Passat B5 with a ADR engine last December after 13 years of trouble free driving save for fan bearing and fuel pump failure. Having such good experience, I started looking into a 2012 model to replace it but could only find models running the troublesome TSI CAX 1.4 engine that suffers from a host of issues from timing chain tensioner, piston, turbo and DSG transmission mechatronic unit failure. Since then, I have steered clear of VAG cars.

Hope you will get yours up and running smoothly. All the best.
Yeah same here, my passat got an APU engine. Been really great and reliable for ten years. New ones seems really crappy, the Golf cost me almost $2k in repairs now and I will get rid of it shortly before anything else fails. I refuse to buy any car with direct injection, timing chain and fancy gearboxes from now on.

I've repaired the water leak (mostly anyway) on the Passat. Ordered a new valve cover gasket and new coil packs, see if I can get it to function for a while longer...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts