DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
VW Golf R32 Mosconi Gladen D2 100.4 DSP & Gladen Zero Line, an entry level SQ attempt

After much lurking, I introduced myself here in the New Member Introduction section earlier this year. This is my first build log, and truth be told my, first car audio build, so please take it easy on me. But, by all means, your comments and suggestions are highly welcome. A little warning, I like to write.

Here's the old girl I'm playing with:

(I'm pasting in some of the text from said post, as a little introduction to this build.)

I've been into music (playing) since I was a little kid and in retail high-end home stereo/home theater for over 10 years. When I moved on to another line of work, I was sure that my system at home would be enough and that I wouldn't need sound in the car other than from the stock setup and the lovely sound of the VR6 engine.

One day I had to take off the driver's door card because of an annoying sound. I do really hate annoying sounds. I found the oem speaker's plastic cage had broken around one of the holes and this loose plastic piece had been making rattles. This started the hunt for a little upgrade in sound. I'm very oem, but paying stupid money for new oem speakers, wasn't really an option.

I live pretty close to the Norwegian agent for Mosconi and Gladen, and since the car audio scene is very small over here, I went there. Like I had many other choices, not.

I bought a Gladen One component kit with a 8 mid/woofer. This was supposed to be a car specific kit and shouldn't require any modification. Gladen don't mention this kit is for the five door Golf. The problem with this is that a three door needs cutting in the doorcard, which is not something I'm willing to do, since those parts are not available from VW anymore.

They gave me a deal on a Gladen Zero Line component set consisting of tweeters and 6,5s. This wouldn't need cutting in the doorcard, but since it's a non-model specific set, it needed some other adjustments.

OEM vs Gladen.

Since I didn't had access to a router I went looking for a universal plastic adapter ring to get the 6.5s in the doors and nearer the doorcards.

In my first hunt, I didn't find any Golf specific model, but I got sold these in the picture. I told the guy that it won't fit my doors, it's too big. No problem. He cut them smaller. I pointed out that they wouldn't fit flush and he said that it doesn't matter if there's some space between the adapter rings and the doors. I would still be able to hear them. Oh yeah, very serious shop. Don't know how they survive.

A few days later, in a nearby city, I found the right sized adapters and they went in the doors with Silent Coat Vibrodamping mats around and butyl against the metal.

The outer doors got Silent Coat Vibrodamping mats on the metal and a layer of StP Splen absorber on top of that. Since this is a mk4 I don't have the stupid mk5 speaker locations in the doors. The outer door is also tight against the inner door, so no need to build a "box".

Here is the layer of Silent Coat Vibrodamping visible.

Here is the layer of StP Splen visible.

The door cards also got some Silent Coat Vibrodamping mats. (More on the upper part was added after this picture.)

The tweeters and 6.5s got 100% OFC 15 AWG wire fed through the original passage in the doors and since this is an old platform I didn't have to worry about drilling out a Molex plug.

The tweeters went in the original sails position. The inside of the sails was trimmed and dampened and the drivers is positioned as much off axis as possible. In the picture one can see the Gladen logo being upside down. I didn't turn the logos the right way on purpose. I need to go against my OCD sometimes. It's supposedly good for me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: VW Golf R32 Mosconi Gladen D2 100.4 DSP & Gladen Zero Line, an entry level SQ att

The plan was to drive this from an old Kenwood 2 DIN I had lying around. There wasn't much control over things, one can imagine and the plans escalated quickly. I begun searching for alternative ways to drive these components.

I've always liked the idea of being a bit different and placing an amp in the rear of the car is not different, so therefore I looked at the D2 4-channel from Mosconi and ways to mount it in the dash. I chose the D2 100.4 with DSP. The idea of getting rid of the passive crossovers was appealing.

Since the D2 100.4 DSP have so insanely small physical dimensions I began investigate where to put it. The mandatory blue tape for protection.

It seemed to fit snugly in the dash. I needed a bracket type thing to mount it, so I mocked up something.

A fellow car enthusiast with skills made me something else. It fits like a glove in there.

Bracket being made in alu, for heat dispersing properties and easy bending and drilling.

I was very excited to see if anything would interfere with anything under there, because this being a digital amp and the placement being surrounded by wires and relays.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: VW Golf R32 Mosconi Gladen D2 100.4 DSP & Gladen Zero Line, an entry level SQ att

The D2 100.4 DSP got power from the battery via a 3 AWG power 100% OFC cable fed via a Stinger SPD8801 midi fuse holder. (This system will never be a SPL system, so no need for 0 AWG and 300 amp. fuses.)

That fuse holder is not a very good product for my needs. The way it attaches to it's base is very unstable. It will be replaced with a better solution from KnuKonceptz. The FH-44.

The cable got wrapped in black Techflex and routed into the car via an empty grommet. There's no clutch wire in a DSG equipped car. Here's the cable before Techflexing.

Since I went for the DSP version of the D2 there's an endless array of things to adjust. I cut the deep bass off from the 6.5s and played with the crossing to the tweeters. I also adjusted the time delay. The stage is surprisingly high and deep.

This setup played way beyond the OEM and I was happy. But, since I know what good sound is, I felt the midbass could've been better.

I regularly visit Mobile Solutions but getting their stuff over here is not possible. I contacted them and was set up a dealer account and bought a few things. I looked forward to the rings.

The rings arrived and was installed.

With them in place, the midbass was getting there nicely!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I then bought the MOS-BTS Bluetooth streaming module to get the shortest and cleanest signal possible.

In the Mosconi software there's ways to adjust the sensitivity on the amp to get some sort of auto sense thing, but the expertise at the Mosconi Gladen agent (importer) is lacking and the user manual is really just a leaflet. This part is frustrating. So, for the time being, the D2 100.4 DSP is kept awake with the help from the Kenwood navi unit via high level RCA. I was hoping to eliminate the need for the head unit to be on, but no such luck. I'll need a way to adjust things on the fly and will buy either the Mosconi mini RCD or the full size RDC. I'll need to make some mock ups and see which fits the best and where.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

When I started this, a subwoofer wasn't really in my mind, because of the very limited space under the trunk floor. This is an all wheel drive car. I need the full height because of the dog's cage I sometimes have in the back, so no fake floor. But, after some months on this excellent forum, I've now bought the things needed for building a fiberglass enclosure in the empty space on the side of the trunk.

I went for Solarez Low-VOC Dual-Cure Polyester Resin. Bought from Wahoo in the states and shipped via boat to Norway. There's so much nice stuff we don't get over here.

This is how the project stands at the moment. I'm struggling to determine how to mask off the area and still be able to pull the fiber glass shell out.

·
Registered
733 Posts

subd,

love all the VW builds

·
Registered
8,401 Posts

Wicked nice install you got going on there...hard to believe its your first. :D

I hope you find a place for a sub, even a tiny one is it will be worth the effort.

Oh and yeah, go ahead and turn that tweeter around...its making me twitch:p

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Wicked nice install you got going on there...hard to believe its your first. :D
Thanks. My age does probably make a difference. I'm not 16. I'm kinda old. I've been 30 over ten times now. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts

The plan was to drive this from an old Kenwood 2 DIN I had lying around. There wasn't much control over things, one can imagine and the plans escalated quickly. I begun searching for alternative ways to drive these components.

I've always liked the idea of being a bit different and placing an amp in the rear of the car is not different, so therefore I looked at the D2 4-channel from Mosconi and ways to mount it in the dash. I chose the D2 100.4 with DSP. The idea of getting rid of the passive crossovers was appealing.

Since the D2 100.4 DSP have so insanely small physical dimensions I began investigate where to put it. The mandatory blue tape for protection.

It seemed to fit snugly in the dash. I needed a bracket type thing to mount it, so I mocked up something.

A fellow car enthusiast with skills made me something else. It fits like a glove in there.

Bracket being made in alu, for heat dispersing properties and easy bending and drilling.

I was very excited to see if anything would interfere with anything under there, because this being a digital amp and the placement being surrounded by wires and relays.
Nice build! I am installing a Mosconi 100.4DSP as well. What plug have you used for the speaker outputs? It looks like a Molex plug, but I don't know the type and size. I could not find the information in the manual. Would appreciate a link if you know what it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks.
I'm afraid I don't know what it is. The plug I used came with the amp.
Thank you!
If it comes withe the amp that is great. I am getting the amp delivered next week, so I wasn't sure what's in the box.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

A few weeks ago, I bought an extra left side trunk-liner-carpet-thingy so I could hack it up to get as much space as possible.

I've done some measuring for a sub lately. I've this space to play with.

I placed some cardboard to see how much volume I've in there.

It seems like I've got space for a 10 inch sub.

So I bought this little 10 inch cutie. Gladen SQX 10.

It needs 0.8 cubic ft / 22 liters of sealed space. I can make that happen without much sacrifice in trunk space. I thought 0.8 cubic ft / 22 liters was a much bigger room than this space.

This is exciting!

·
Registered
74 Posts

Looking forward to the progress. I've been thinking about some sort of enclosure for my sub. Not sure if I want it on the side or underneath my trunk where the spare tire sits. But I'm waiting because I think I'm going to eventually upgrade the sub and amp so I'm waiting on that.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Very nice start. I am also an owner of a Mk4 R32.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So, after thinking about the stupid contours of this empty space, I decided to put a small cardboard piece in the bottom part so that space wouldn't lock the enclose in so I wouldn't get it out.

Then, after one hour of playing with the green 3M tape, this was the result.

And then som masking foil.

Then it was time for what I've feared the most this past months. The start of fiber glassing. I tried with alu foil on the tape before the mats, but the alu foil pissed me off, so I went for some spray glue and masking foil. I really hope I'll be able to get it loose.

I've read about and watched glassing being done many many times by now, and was very surprised when it actually worked out as I've seen. The mat pieces soaked up the Solarez resin just fine. I used the metal roller to roll from the middle and outward. Laid the next piece of mat on top and tried to get it wet from the layer beneath before adding more resin.

After what I think was three layers, hard to see when it's all transparent and thoroughly wet, I stopped. Since it's Solarez and activated by UV, I took my time and didn't rush or spell resin anywhere.

I then took out the UV light tube and a UV pocket light. I didn't dear to drive outside, since that would mean drive through a whole floor and up a small hill.

It started to harden pretty fast. Fascinating. Since it's midnight here, the rest will continue to harden through the night.

This is more or less how I left it.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts

That enclosure is looking sharp. I also run a Gladen Subwoofer, but a 15" and May I say it makes me smile every time I see/ hear it......

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This morning this met me.

It pulled out after som persuasion. The carpet spray glue is still sticky, so that maybe be why the protective foil let go relatively easy.

Here it stands.

I'm pretty stoked. I maybe old and one might expect us to be able to pull this kind of things off, but my dayjob is behind a keyboard managing web stores, so not a very practical thing.

·
Registered
733 Posts

this is awesome! ill be doing the same kind of enclosure in my mkv jetta.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Very nice start. I am also an owner of a Mk4 R32.
Thanks.

Since you're formerly crnacnac, then you're probably the guy with the DBP R32 with the extremely well executed TT shifter ring mod back in the mid/late 2000s. That mod was subject to much admiration from me. Mad skills, man! (You might not see this post, I'm afraid.)

1 - 20 of 125 Posts