DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

261 - 280 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thanks... I'm using lamb wool in my enclosures.
Sorry my bad, I meant to build them. I've been pondering the midrange (beyma dome) there do to the nature of the dash in the b5/5.5 passats. Only other ways was to go to a smaller midrange to build into the pillars and I'm not wanting to do that as of yet..

I guess I'm going to have to play with that location. Lots of ideas for my wagon from you car..

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Sorry my bad, I meant to build them. I've been pondering the midrange (beyma dome) there do to the nature of the dash in the b5/5.5 passats. Only other ways was to go to a smaller midrange to build into the pillars and I'm not wanting to do that as of yet..

I guess I'm going to have to play with that location. Lots of ideas for my wagon from you car..
Ordinary expanding foam. Then glass fiber on top of that. On-axis in sails are generally the best location for midranges imo. Center focus is incredible with pods in sails in most cars I've done such installs.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Oh... got these as well;

Gonna use them to decouple the sub from chassis somewhat.
Hey, did you ever get around to using these? I would be curious as to the difference between the isolated mounts vs solid (just a bolt) mount. I have been a big proponent of mechanical isolation where ever possible, but most people will tell you the exact opposite; bolt them down to the chassis as firmly as possible. I was planning to use some sorbothane isolators for my PPSL manifolds. I should get some force cancellation due to the PPSL configuration, but I wanted to take it a step further. I will most likely hard mount the manifolds for now because the construction time has already been enormous. I am just not up to the task right now. But at some point I would like to try isolation.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Yes I use them. They are below the enclosure, I think I posted a pic of it IIRC. It does work. I noticed that the bass jumped forward. I cross the sub at 200Hz because there's no mids in the doors yet (I'll get to that soon) but the stage stays upfront at low-moderate levels... mostly. Better than before at least.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Received a new set of drivers directly from ETON today. Took less than a week so I'm quite happy. Great that they sent two drivers as well. Continuing with the project next week when I have the system running in my "winter car".

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #270

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
This APL1 gear looks really interesting. I'll be tuning in to see how your in car results are.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Well... I've begun working on this build again after a little hiatus. Health issues, too much work, garage loaded with CRAP and stuff like that contributes to my neverending projects lol. I'm having vacation for 2 weeks starting a few days before Christmas, hopefully I get quite a few things done then.

Btw, dunno if I mentioned it - but my Helix P-DSP has crapped out, seem to be internal ground related issues. Noise through all speakers from channels 4-8, goes away somewhat when you ground the USB connector. I opened it up but didn't find any obvious faults, can't troubleshoot microchip ICs so I didn't bother with it. The Helix PRO is too damn pricey, I'm not putting $1000 into another DSP. Since I now have the APL DSP unit, it will take care of all the EQ. Amazing unit really, keeps impressing me. I'm not over exaggerating here but - the staging, focus and tonality attained with that EQ is absolutely among the better I've heard in any car audio system so far. My 'self proclaimed uber-golden-ear-audiophile friend' described it as "it no longer sound car audio". I suppose it's a good thing coming from him lol.

Anyway... here's what's on my "to-do-list" (during this month hopefully);

*New "custom" 12ch DSP
*Installing the APL1 - new wiring to support this.
*Rear-channel speaker test/review/measurements (Vifa TG9)
*Midbass enclosures
*Finishing of the trunk, some fiberglassing, lighting and mods.

After lots of planning and experimentation I will use the Vifa TG9's in a dipole config. It gives a better perception of space. It also makes the sound harder to locate which is good for rear-ambience-fill. The P99 got 11,5ms of delay and the MiniDSP board got 7,5ms IIRC - so in total 19ms cascaded. That should be enough. Adding a classD board chip amp from Ebay, those amps are actually quite ok for the task (driving the rears). Since there's no way to connect the MiniDSP boards and use them as one unit (same software instance) as far as I know - I'll add a USB switch so I can tune the APL and the three boards from one computer using one cable.

Here's an ugly schematic of what I'm attempting to do:

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Sorry guys. I'm going to stop posting on DIYMA from now on. I have a review left to post for Raimonds, after that I'm off. Fun as long as lasted, I feel that DIYMA no longer is what it was 4 years ago.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Wow, didn't expect that! Part of me understands though, I'm not on here as much as I was. I'm miss something that indeed a few years ago was still here. Still want to hear about the performance of the vifa pods in your final build though. ;)

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm saddened to hear that. You've contributed much for this forum and you are one I can always count on for good advice.

Nothing ever stays the same. It sounds cliche, but it's true. I've tried not to change many things about myself that I wish I could make stay the same, but it seems to happen unconsciously despite my best efforts.

I try and visit DIYMA at least once a day, even if I don't make any new posts. At this point, it's pretty routine, and I like knowing it's there. We all have an innate propensity towards belonging, and I'm mainly here to join others (who share a passion for music/audio) in satisfying and exploring that desire.

My car audio expertise pales in comparison to most people on here, but I try to contribute in ways that I can. I know that I'm never going to change the car audio world, but I have established some sort of connection to a few people on here, and that makes it all worth it. There are still many people that I'd love to get to know better; it's just tough in a forum environment.

Hope to see you around again.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Sorry guys. I'm going to stop posting on DIYMA from now on. I have a review left to post for Raimonds, after that I'm off. Fun as long as lasted, I feel that DIYMA no longer is what it was 4 years ago.

Sorry to hear that. Tough to see one of the leaders of the bleeding edge go. Appreciate all your work on measurements and trying new things. Good luck in the future! Let us know if you are going to post progress of your builds anywhere. I'd like to stay updated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Hanatsu, you've been a valuable part of this community. I've learned a lot from you over the last couple years that I've been here. I'm sure I speak for many people when I say I wish you wouldn't leave. Good luck to you in all you do!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Count me as one of the people you've helped immensely over the years. I don't always ask a lot of questions or seek out help directly, but I can't tell you the number of times I've searched for something on this forum and come across your many excellent posts.

That being said, I understand that things change, and I get that. I hope to perhaps see you around the net another day!

261 - 280 of 525 Posts