DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a long time member here and have learned a LOT over the years. Big thanks to the Diyma community for all the knowledge shared here!

I'm an old school car audio guy from they "heyday" I guess you would say. I can remember just WAITING for the CA&E annual directory to get to my door so I could drool over all the killer gear that I could never afford as a teenager. :laugh:
My first system was a JVC cassette deck with 12 disc changer, Kenwood 5x7" coax speakers and 2 Audio Art 10" subs pushed with an Alphasonic amp....been into it every since.

Anyhow, I'm just kicking off my latest build in my 2008 Benz E63 AMG and chomping at the bit to get all my gear in.

Car

Gear

Source Units

Benz COMAND NTG 2.0
Chuwi Hi8 Windows 10 Tablet

Processors

Mobridge DA2 - older unit with optical out -Thanks Don! (6spcoupe)
Helix DSP.2

Amps

2 NVX JAD800.4's

Drivers

Alpine SPX-Pro Tweeters
Scanspeak 10F/4424G Midranges
Silve Flute W17RC38-04 Woofers
Acoustic Elegance IB104AU Subwoofer

I'll be replacing the existing Harmon Kardon Audio Gateway with the DA2 feeding the Helix DSP.2 via toslink. My plan is to use the Tablet on a gooseneck mount to feed high resolution digital audio via USB 3.0 to the Helix once the HEC usb is released. Tablet will also allow DSP control from the drivers seat using a 5 port powered USB 3.0 hub and active USB 3.0 cable.

Tweeters will be mounted on axis in the sail panels, midranges in pods on the A pillars, woofers in the doors and subwoofer top mounted IB in the rear deck.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I've started with the subwoofer install. I used a sandwich type construction on the rear deck. You can see the rough rear deck contour below.

The red is Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Gray is CCF, and brown is MDF. I had to build up 4 layers or so of the dampener to get the surface even with the subwoofer recess lip. I then used 4 bolts through the structural ribs on rear deck into t-nuts countersunk into the 3/4 MDF bottom baffle where the yellow arrows are. I also used 5 bolts in a star pattern through the top mounted baffle, through the rear deck and into t-nuts countersunk into the bottom baffle. This construction really created a nice tight sandwich of dampener and 1/2" ccf between the baffle and rear deck. Where the bottom baffle meets the structural ribs there is 1/4" ccf between them.

Here are some shots of the rear deck.

Cover on

Cover off

Test fitting

Mostly finished shots from trunk

Up next will be front stage build.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
very nice car and great gear choices. using the money where it counts..good job!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I am interested to see where you go with this build! our cars are brothers.... although little bro/big bro :)
A buddy of mine has an E55 and loves it.Great car!

Wht's your plan for finishing the rear deck? I can't tell if you have the electric sunshade... Why did you choose to have the sub project so high on the rear deck instead of hanging father down into the trunk?

I could probably hold all my ?? pending your future posts :)
Thx
D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Man that rear deck just doesn't look reinforced enough.Have you tested the sub yet ?

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
very nice car and great gear choices. using the money where it counts..good job!

Thanks brother! You hit the nail right smack on the head.... my goal was to use the what I thought was the appropriate gear based on my needs. Best in breed where I needed it and bang for your buck with great performance where I felt it would be adequate.

Danno: The 55's are monsters too! Only problems there are when those supercharger bearings go out on you (and they ALL get worn out) you are talking a full replacement supercharger and that ain't cheap at all. When that happens you may as well be looking at a Weistec unit. :)

It's a long story about how I came to the mounting method I chose for the IB rear deck. I originally had it bottom mounted firing through the factory holes...honestly deck wasn't damped much and had WAAAYYYY to much flex in that configuration. Was going to fortify it and dampen the crap out of it but as I really started to engineer what I wanted it was a no brainer to just cut the factory grill out of there and do a proper top mount. Not to mention that big magnet when bottom mounted took up a lot of real estate back there.

It's not as high as it looks. That top baffle is two 3/4" MDF rings, so a total thickness of 1.5"s. Driver is actually mounted to the bottom 3/4" ring so it sits at the same height it would using a 3/4" baffle board top mounted. I wanted as much mass up there as I could get in a speaker ring. I did end up modifying the top baffle ring a bit more than those pictures show (i'll post a follow up when I pull it off again).

In the same vein, I opted to remove the rear sunshade for several reasons. Number 1 being that no matter what you CANNOT get that thing to quiten down. Even with CCF under, braced etc. it sounded bad....
Number 2 is I have never actually used it. I mean it works and everything but I have no practical use for it. Windows are tinted and the rear windows have sun shades on them as well (so the kids never have sun in there face... LOL).

strong*I*bumpin: Oh yeah it's live right now. Only got a LOC tapped off the factory amp sub output running to an old Soundstream to push it. Getting about 300 watts and it's rock solid. Don't have any of the flex and resonance issues I previously had.

Thanks guys for all your feedback much appreciated! Follow along with me and help a brother out.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Front stage driver mount fabrication

Factory sail panels will be wrapped in black Alcantara. Midrange pods will be flocked in black.

Pods measured out at .4 L (measured about 14 fl oz)
WinISD models good response for the Scans in this airspace with a .71 QTC and good looking phase plot. Will likely add a little fiber fill as well.

Tweeter sails:

Midrange Pods:

Corian Ring Baffles for Midbass:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I am curious to know door speaker setup you originally have in your '08 E63? I bought my wife an '08 R171, even though I am sure they are different but its worth the inquiry.

Also, how is your Command NTG 2.0 working out for you? It looks like the same style as in the R171. The one we have, all the buttons seem to be getting stuck so we are replacing it with an Alpine DD.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am curious to know door speaker setup you originally have in your '08 E63? I bought my wife an '08 R171, even though I am sure they are different but its worth the inquiry.

Also, how is your Command NTG 2.0 working out for you? It looks like the same style as in the R171. The one we have, all the buttons seem to be getting stuck so we are replacing it with an Alpine DD.
I have factory Harmon Kardon audio in my W211. The SLK and E Class were radically different in regards to the speaker setups. You've got an 8" Woofer reverse mounted firing into the door as well as a 3.5" midrange firing into the vehicle and a tweeter.

Here's a great thread where he does the R171 replacement with Hertz comps

I've not had any issues with the COMAND system in mine. I mostly use the steering controls though and do not do too much button pushing on the head unit itself.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well look here what showed up today! Christmas came early this year!

Super big THANK YOU! to Philip Lindsley owner of Titan Motoring in Nashville for getting this so quickly!

May as well post a pic of his cohort while I'm at it...

I really hope to be tuning by New Year's. :D

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas Day!

Busy with the family but wanted to post a small update. Full update to come tomorrow.

Pods were made from 3" PVC domed end caps and 4" PVC flat end caps.

Starting the process of dampening the doors and doing a test fit.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Danno: The 55's are monsters too! Only problems there are when those supercharger bearings go out on you (and they ALL get worn out) you are talking a full replacement supercharger and that ain't cheap at all. When that happens you may as well be looking at a Weistec unit. :)

It's a long story about how I came to the mounting method I chose for the IB rear deck. I originally had it bottom mounted firing through the factory holes...honestly deck wasn't damped much and had WAAAYYYY to much flex in that configuration. Was going to fortify it and dampen the crap out of it but as I really started to engineer what I wanted it was a no brainer to just cut the factory grill out of there and do a proper top mount. Not to mention that big magnet when bottom mounted took up a lot of real estate back there.

It's not as high as it looks. That top baffle is two 3/4" MDF rings, so a total thickness of 1.5"s. Driver is actually mounted to the bottom 3/4" ring so it sits at the same height it would using a 3/4" baffle board top mounted. I wanted as much mass up there as I could get in a speaker ring. I did end up modifying the top baffle ring a bit more than those pictures show (i'll post a follow up when I pull it off again).

In the same vein, I opted to remove the rear sunshade for several reasons. Number 1 being that no matter what you CANNOT get that thing to quiten down. Even with CCF under, braced etc. it sounded bad....
Number 2 is I have never actually used it. I mean it works and everything but I have no practical use for it. Windows are tinted and the rear windows have sun shades on them as well (so the kids never have sun in there face... LOL).

Thanks guys for all your feedback much appreciated! Follow along with me and help a brother out.
I agree on the supercharger aspect! That why I have an S. That, and my kids are destined to be big uns :)
Thanks for the info on the sub install. I've been debating whether to lose the sunshade, and I'm leaning that direction. Your insight helps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great plus up with the AE sub in the stock location.

Miss my W211 E550...driving a hybrid now. :( Looking forward to seeing the rest of your install.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Front stage install is complete! Woohoo :)

Starting Amp Rack fabrication today and hopefully Mobridge, Helix and Amp installation.

Got a pretty good color match with the flocking on the Midrange pods but it is slightly darker than the alcantara. Shows up differently in different lighting conditions. Overall pretty happy with the flocked pods.

You can see my installation assistant in the below shot. LOL

·
Banned
8,729 Posts
Nice and clean install.
I`ve had E55 and loved it until maintenance time came.

·
Banned
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice and clean install.
I`ve had E55 and loved it until maintenance time came.
Thanks Victor. Don't I know.... sheesh the brakes are especially crazy. But of course it takes some serious rotors and pads to slow the 55's and 63's down.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts