DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cant find any 4 or 16 ohm speakers that are appropriate

want to use the fountek ribbons as tweets and anything from dayton ref to seas excell for mids... no luck though

i want it at those resistances so it shows a final 8 ohm load if that wasnt obviouse already ;)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
You can always use a series 4 ohm resistore, or a high quality transformer. What amp isn't 4 ohm stable these days...

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Only way I can think of getting an 8 ohm load with 2 8 ohm drivers. You shouldn't be losing any power if your amp is only 8 ohm stable.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think you are making this more complicated than it is.... i want a d'appolito styl left and right speaker cabinet (ie tweet in the midel and a mid above and below)
there must be drivers taht are used as such or are they generaly designed as a 16 ohm load

·
Registered
531 Posts
you want this for car or home? it would be good to specify that first.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is a 16 ohm version of the WR125s, if that'll work for you... and plenty of 4 ohm speakers.

Why are you caring about having 8 ohm final load?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my reciever is only 6 ohm stable and thd jumps x10 from 8 to 4 ohms..... 16 ohm will have to do but id rather have that extra 3 db

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes... difference is the type of crossover... sorry for the confusion

so you guys think four ohm final load is preferable to 16
ie i wont notice any difference in regard to thd.... they will be crossed actively in the sub reagon anyways

·
Registered
531 Posts
you're never going to get close to that 4 ohm load with music....so.....you're not going to hear your "jump" in thd.....

and a 16 ohm final load will leave you with very little power for 3 drivers.....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gotcha...

do you think ill be fine w/ the fountek 2.0 ribbons and a pair of dayton refs or is it worth stepping up to the excel nextel cones.... the daytons would have the bucking magnets (which i need at this point) but plan on getting an lcd.... dont realy have the cash for the nextels but will scrape it up if you guys think the upgrade is justified
any one have opinions on one vs the other

·
Registered
618 Posts
Just make sure you cross the daytons low, sub-2k and at least second order.

Have you researched to make sure there aren't any issues with doing MTM's with tall rectangular ribbons? (I don't know if there are or not, just throwing it out there as "something to think about").

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well if the mids lp low then the space between them can be larger, since space between the mids is a functon of the tweet mid x/o point

thats the extent of my knowledge at least...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts