DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to play around with ported enclosure. I've spent quite a bit of time in WinIsd trying to understand the works and came to conclusion that IDQv.2 is the driver that I have and want to try.

Everybody keeps pushing "properly built" type of deal, I would like to know what do I need to "properly build" and not be disappointed. I am aware of the cabin gain and I understand that it can create a big "hump" in overall response. One of the questions is how do I build my box keeping cabin gain in mind? I have "$100 RTA" set up...

Spill the knowledge please, itching to get started!

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I'll tell you what you DON'T want to do with regards to cabin gain. You really, really don't want your projected response curve on the subwoofer enclosure to peak in the same frequency range where your cabin gain is, unless you like your bass extra loud at that frequency.

My 1997 Civic peaks somewhere in the 50 Hz range and I had a pair of 10" JL Audio 10w3v2s in 2.5 cubic feet net tuned to 34 Hz and it was extra loud in the 50 Hz range. Why? Because the projected frequency response of the enclosure peaked at around 55 Hz or so @ +3 dB! Combine that with a 50 Hz range resonant frequency, I had SUPER loud bass notes in the 50 Hz range.

If your vehicle's resonant frequency is in the higher frequency ranges, it is my opinion that you should build the enclosure bigger and tune it a little lower. If your resonant frequency peaks in the lower ranges, you can sometimes get away with building your enclosure a little smaller and tuning the port a little higher.

Granted, there is only so much prediction you can do before hand. It sometimes takes trial and error to get the ported enclosure to sound proper versus LOUD :( I have been known to build as many as THREE ported enclosures before I give up on a particular set of subwoofers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you're really picky, and if you are on this site and have the $100 RTA, then you are, be ready to build two to three boxes. But, hey, that's part of the fun.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know and I am cool with that, I just want to have some guidance as far as my starting point goes.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts