DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
2.0 ft^3 at 32Hz (20in^2 x 22.52"), 1250 watts = 45.6 m/s. That is pretty high in terms of both port compression and potential for port noise. Below 18 - 22 m/s is generally considered to be ideal.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I was surprised as well. Might be a typo for the 15". The 15" HST is asking for 50in^2 but so is the 18" HST so thats weird as well....
At the recommended 1.5ft^3 @ 24Hz (20in^2 x 58.43"), SQL-12 vent velocity is a much more reasonable 33m/s. Response is very nice as well ...58.43" port, not so much. PR seems like a sensible option.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thank you for that Grinder. It won't hurt anything to have a big peak around 35hz right?
Go back to looking for a 15" - the SQL12 in the box you're looking at with the power level you've got will not be good.

Box really peaky - sub underpowered - many - many better options for the box you're looking at - see your other post.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
So I modeled the Stereo Integrity SQL 12" sub with 2ft3 tuned at 32hz against my TC Sounds LMS-R Ultra 5400 18" sub tuned at 20hz in a 7ft3 box with 1,000 watts to each sub. At 50hz the SI is at 115db. And the LMS-R is 118db. At 30hz the SI is 115db and the LMS-R is at 117db. Looks pretty good to me! The LMS-R is in my home theater.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
So I modeled the Stereo Integrity SQL 12" sub with 2ft3 tuned at 32hz against my TC Sounds LMS-R Ultre 5400 18" sub tuned at 20hz in a 7ft3 box with 1,000 watts to each sub. At 30hz the SI is at 115db. And the LMS-R is 118db. At 50hz the SI is 115db and the LMS-R is at 117db. Looks pretty good to me! The LMS-R is in my home theater.
Please post screenshots of any models.

No one is saying that it won't work but there are better options. See your other post...

What 12" subwoofer?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I don't know how to post screenshots of winisd.
Ctrl + Alt + PrtScr while WinISD is selected will take a screenshot of the WinISD Screen you are viewing then Ctrl + V in the forum comment box will paste that screenshot.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Why is that?
Dayton Audio subs are a "bang for the buck" item with good/great sound quality but do not have the spl capability of SI or Sundown.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dayton Audio subs are a "bang for the buck" item with good/great sound quality but do not have the spl capability of SI or Sundown.
The Specs of the Dayton RSS390HE-22 seem right up there with a SQL 15"
27mm XMax
800 RMS
Double spiders

These are a bit more robust than previous Dayton subs like the HO or Ultimax..

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
986 Posts
I have no experience with the dayton subs, but I do with the SQLs. I have 2 12s in my trunk sealed 1.1cbft each on 4k and they will take it all day. these things full tilt are super silly loud. Trunk and body panels "flexing" like Redondo Beach waves 🌊. You would think I had a ported box back there. And they sound phenomenal and super accurate while doing it. Best part about it I got them on sale for like 300$ each with the carbon dust caps. I may get spares just in case I ever blow them.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
27mm XMax
800 RMS
Double spiders

Please get one and put it on about double RMS so we can find out... :cool:

Modeling done in WinISD to RMS Rating:
SQL15D2HE15D2Brahma15D2
Price$400$360$550
Fs23.8 Hz29 Hz24.4 Hz
RMS1,000 Watts800 Watts1,000 Watts
Sealed 0.7 Qtc2.3 cuft3.0 cuft3.5 cuft
Output Peak Non-Anechoic114.340 dB112.925 dB114.629 dB
Output at 20 Hz104.5 dB103.0 dB104.4 dB

The HE15D2 is between the SQL15 and Brahma 15 in box size - I've heard all 3 in person, though not in the same vehicle but in appropriately sized sealed enclosures on appropriate power and been allowed to tune on them and IMO none of them are a bad choice - it all comes down to what you need. If you're trying to save money then get the Dayton, if you need the smallest box and the absolute most output get the SQL and a big amp, if you want efficiency and SQ above all else and have room for the box on the Brahma - well there you go.

My only reservation about the Dayton is long term reliability - not sure what will happen when someone throws 2-3kW on it in a Daily setup and pounds on it for a year. The one I played with was on a Pioneer GM-D8701 with only OEM factory electrical and a Belva 4 Gauge amp kit, it was dimming some and with the teenage son that he has, I'm sure that poor thing will get clipped to death. The Brahma I know for a fact will have a meltdown on 2.4kW (BTDT) but the SQL12 in my current setup shrugs off the Taramps 3k (IMO the equivalent of a 1kW Class AB) and I've seen a Dual SQL15 on SALT6k (that's abused way more than mine) that has survived during the same time period (just over 12 months now.) With that said, I've abused other Dayton Reference Series Subs and never had one meltdown yet (bottomed the cone on a pair of 10HF's till I just knew it was deformed but it survived) but the HE is a totally new line and with an Aluminum cone and former it should be able to dissipate some heat so only time will tell.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Please get one and put it on about double RMS so we can find out... :cool:

Modeling done in WinISD to RMS Rating:
SQL15D2HE15D2Brahma15D2
Price$400$360$550
Fs23.8 Hz29 Hz24.4 Hz
RMS1,000 Watts800 Watts1,000 Watts
Sealed 0.7 Qtc2.3 cuft3.0 cuft3.5 cuft
Output Peak Non-Anechoic114.340 dB112.925 dB114.629 dB
Output at 20 Hz104.5 dB103.0 dB104.4 dB

The HE15D2 is between the SQL15 and Brahma 15 in box size - I've heard all 3 in person, though not in the same vehicle but in appropriately sized sealed enclosures on appropriate power and been allowed to tune on them and IMO none of them are a bad choice - it all comes down to what you need. If you're trying to save money then get the Dayton, if you need the smallest box and the absolute most output get the SQL and a big amp, if you want efficiency and SQ above all else and have room for the box on the Brahma - well there you go.

My only reservation about the Dayton is long term reliability - not sure what will happen when someone throws 2-3kW on it in a Daily setup and pounds on it for a year. The one I played with was on a Pioneer GM-D8701 with only OEM factory electrical and a Belva 4 Gauge amp kit, it was dimming some and with the teenage son that he has, I'm sure that poor thing will get clipped to death. The Brahma I know for a fact will have a meltdown on 2.4kW (BTDT) but the SQL12 in my current setup shrugs off the Taramps 3k (IMO the equivalent of a 1kW Class AB) and I've seen a Dual SQL15 on SALT6k (that's abused way more than mine) that has survived during the same time period (just over 12 months now.) With that said, I've abused other Dayton Reference Series Subs and never had one meltdown yet (bottomed the cone on a pair of 10HF's till I just knew it was deformed but it survived) but the HE is a totally new line and with an Aluminum cone and former it should be able to dissipate some heat so only time will tell.
I already got a pair :cool: but trying to decide If I want to run them sealed to save space or take up all my cargo room and go ported.. They will be going in a SUV.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
27mm XMax
800 RMS
Double spiders

I stand corrected, never seen a Dayton sub with that much Xmax. I'd still opt for SI.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I already got a pair :cool: but trying to decide If I want to run them sealed to save space or take up all my cargo room and go ported.. They will be going in a SUV.
I've looked at doing a 2 x 15 ported for the son of my cohort who has the 2 x SQL15 on SALT 6K but with a Taramps Bass 5K he's currently using on a Skar Prefab 2 x 12 EVL Box setup he's got major dimming so he's saving up for electrical upgrades right now...

My previous SQL modeling for that would indicate that they will work well down to about 2 cuft/ea sealed or 4 cuft/ea ported @ 26Hz. If you are looking for SQL on Rock and don't need the output in the 20's then you could raise tuning to around 30-34Hz and get some real SPL out of them (maybe 150...ish with cabin gain?) before xmax.
Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Font Line

But obviously with port requirements of 60 sqin to avoid port velocity problems the ported is still going to be a huge box.
Quick check on: Subbox.pro yields 40" x 18" x 25" or nearly 9 cuft gross and that's with single 3/4" MDF and no internal bracing... so that would depend on which SUV you have as this would totally fill the cargo area in my Grand Cherokee.
Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Line Triangle

But back to the power requirements. The SQL has one major drawback and that's the power needed to reach xmax - they are power hungry behemoths and the HE is almost as bad... Either one will need 5kW (2.5kW/ea) to reach xmax (ported with 18Hz LR4 Infrasonic Filter) and obviously you can go bigger on either setup and down on power some but even IB they need 1kW each to reach xmax at 20Hz so it all comes down to what "you" want...

If it was me I'd be looking for a used SALT 6K (Sundown is only 4H away so the market is ripe around here) and doing the research to build my own LTO bank to run them sealed at around 2-3 cuft/ea for maximum output in the bottom octave - but I'm a bottom (octave) feeder! ;) And then if/when they failed I'd drop SQL15s in the same setup. But the reality for me is that 2 x15 is overkill for my listening and I don't intend to fully sound deaden and brace a vehicle with a pano sunroof... hope you don't have a sunroof if you go this route!

Reactions: ItsonlyaHONDA
101 - 120 of 120 Posts