DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent a week of tuning with my DIYMA to get it right where i wanted it.. So im listening to my ipod on shuffle just to vary up the music styles and see how the sub handles them. Well of course a 10Hz sine wave (-3db) pops up.

It only plays for about 1 second before im able to turn it off, yet the damage was done. The cone of the DIYMA is warped in about 4 places and distorts horribly at medium-high volumes. Nguyen was kind enough to offer me a replacement for $85 (even though i could have originally bought 2 for $175....)

....Lesson learned.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Yeah, I only did that once. :)

You can click a checkbox in iTunes to exclude any specific track from playing in shuffle mode.

Click the track, then "get info", then "options" tab, then "Skip when shuffling" then re-sync your ipod.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Seems like a DIYMA recone kit would be a nice thing to be able to buy, but that seems unlikely now that it is out of production.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I only did that once. :)

You can click a checkbox in iTunes to exclude any specific track from playing in shuffle mode.

Click the track, then "get info", then "options" tab, then "Skip when shuffling" then re-sync your ipod.
Thanks for the reply! Ill look into that

Heres some pics of the damage

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
What is the connection to the iPod? I have sine waves of all Hz on my iPod. I see why the damage was done, just not why the title of the thread is not to put it on your iPod? What about burning a 10 Hz sine wave on a CD and playing it? Would have same affect right?

Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the connection to the iPod? I have sine waves of all Hz on my iPod. I see why the damage was done, just not why the title of the thread is not to put it on your iPod? What about burning a 10 Hz sine wave on a CD and playing it? Would have same affect right?

Test tones are fine at moderate levels. I was listening to music (while it was raining so the volume was higher than normal) when a 10Hz signal came on before i could turn the output down.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts

Not to answer for the OP, but because he forgot the test tones were on his iPod when he put it on shuffle.

Most people that would put them on CD's would have a specific CD for them, not randomly placed on a CD with music.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think he just meant it was unsafe for people that play their ipod on shuffle. If he hadn't had the 10hz sine wave on his ipod with it playing on shuffle, he'd still have a good sub lol

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
if you have the Focal CD's on your iPod....... you have test tones ;)
I have them, but I haven't played them in the car yet.

My Magnum is still stock (I need to get off my ass and start it one of these days), and my Jeep...well it's a Jeep system, fairly loud, but not exactly "SQ".

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took Manville's advice and have all my test tones set to skip when i shuffle

·
The Anti-Rice
2,525 Posts
Not to answer for the OP, but because he forgot the test tones were on his iPod when he put it on shuffle.

Most people that would put them on CD's would have a specific CD for them, not randomly placed on a CD with music.
However that would be funny, while my wife is listening to her girly music to all off a sudden get a 20hz sine wave......I bet she would be like WTF!?:laugh:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Exactly why I would never buy a DIYMA, that cone is just a failure waiting to happen. It may be a great sounding sub, but when the cone is that fragile it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Exactly why I would never buy a DIYMA, that cone is just a failure waiting to happen. It may be a great sounding sub, but when the cone is that fragile it isn't worth it.
Yeah, instead of a DIYMA R12, I'd buy Bose 301s... nah, nah, only joking. Take it easy.:laugh:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is a 10hz tone really useful? Hey its great to see manville contributing to the site! Havent seen you in 7-8 years!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but if you had set your gains using test tones, would this have been avoided? I know 10hz is super low, but I set my sub's gains using a 40hz tone.

Was this simply caused since 10hz is too low?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow, that is some incredible buckling in the DIYMA12. Glad I don't listen to any of that '10Hz stuff' - must be some of that dern low SQ RAP music!:D

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
A better question is, why are you not limiting the 10Hz content? A SSF or even just bandpassing the sub woudl have prevented this.

yes, the R12 cone is light but I wouldn't call it fragile. I've seen Zach wail on his with no problems.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I'd be interested to see if another company's soft parts could be used to recone the DIYMA 12's motor and basket assembly.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts