DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow enthusiasts! This may change but it's only a reflection of my experience during the last couple of months. I have typically done my own installations but it's been a long time since I did my last one and I haven't dealt with shops at all since moving to Nashville, TN.

As a business owner, there is no other way to say this; the small car audio shops within 100 miles of the city have been flaky and totally lacking in professionalism. I can see why so many choose to go to the big chains; something that I am seriously trying to avoid.

The national chains that I have spoken with have been very responsive and helpful. Now, I fully realize that they don't possess the level of skill I'm seeking. But at least it's clear that they want your business (without being pushy at all) and they are willing to spend time with you even if only on the phone and without knowing if they will ever get your business.

In stark contrast, the small businesses seem completely uninterested in earning your business. Even if they meet with you in person, the follow up is nonexistent. I don't want to call anyone out and I may well come back here and sing the praises of the shop I end up using.

But for now, the independent brick and mortar stores (who we have seen go out of business en masse), seem a lot less like victims of the internet than the agents of their own demise.

Registered
Now I assume you sat down and spoke with that guy who is incredibly well respected in the industry who was mentioned like 27 times in your last thread? Based on your intent to understand every. last. little. tiny. detail. about a DSP which you are not going to install and not going to tune I'm not sure if the small businesses are uninterested in making money or if they are just running away from you. 馃檭

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have not been able to make contact with him personally. I have contacted them through FB IM because their contact form throws up an error (on their website). I then spoke with another person at his shop several times and he told me that the owner had in fact seen the images I sent them through email. Mike then gave me the phone number of the owner saying that he had specifically instructed him to do so in order for us to finally connect, at least through texts.

But I'm not sure why you're making the statement about the DSP. In fact, I would like to buy and have them install one. My reasons for discussing it on this forum is precisely to avoid wasting his time by doing the legwork myself. I have not asked them ANY questions about products, pricing, or anything else. I so much want to be able to post a great review of the shop on here! But still, I am frustrated by the lack of responsiveness not just by them but by a couple of other shops that I have dealt with.

I don't think I'm being difficult at all and in fact, I am very willing to spend money on this build. If trying to learn the most I can about something I knew very little about is wrong, then I guess I have a different view than you do. All I have asked of the shops is to have a conversation and get their recommendations so I can think about the installation with fresh eyes and to make decisions based on their advice.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Btw, if it was convenient for me to just pop by the shop, I would have done that already but it's an all day affair for me to drive down there and back.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Now I assume you sat down and spoke with that guy who is incredibly well respected in the industry who was mentioned like 27 times in your last thread? Based on your intent to understand every. last. little. tiny. detail. about a DSP which you are not going to install and not going to tune I'm not sure if the small businesses are uninterested in making money or if they are just running away from you. 馃檭
27 times? you counted? hahahaha.....not making fun of you, it just gave me a chuckle...all in good fun my friend!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Best of luck. Maybe people are just backed up due to the pandemic.
Yes sir, and I totally get that. It's just that if you send them an email or tell someone over the phone that you understand that they may not have time for your build, they should just say that. I'm okay with waiting till next month or something.I'm not a child who needs it TODAY....hahahaha. I just want to discuss the specifics of my system with the person who is ultimately going to do the build and get on the same page.

Registered
You're only telling part of the story it seems. What exactly are you asking for? Can you go into detail about your experiences and what you are saying to them and their response? Playing the devils advocate, I'm willing to bet there's a reason shops aren't eager to follow up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You're only telling part of the story it seems. What exactly are you asking for? Can you go into detail about your experiences and what you are saying to them and their response? Playing the devils advocate, I'm willing to bet there's a reason shops aren't eager to follow up.

Sure. The only thing I've asked for is a 15 minute discussion to hear their thoughts on what system they would recommend based on three different system designs I've sent them. I'm also not married to the diagrams I sent. I'm willing to rethink the layout if they have other ideas.

I am completely open to their suggestions and advice. I have not set any price limitations. I know that the shop south of me can't do my install for a couple of weeks, which is fine. I asked them to give me a day and time when we could meet in person; I'm willing to make the trip.

Registered
Sure. The only thing I've asked for is a 15 minute discussion to hear their thoughts on what system they would recommend based on three different system designs I've sent them. I'm also not married to the diagrams I sent. I'm willing to rethink the layout if they have other ideas.

I am completely open to their suggestions and advice. I have not set any the price limitations. I know that the shop south of me can't do my install for a couple of weeks, which is fine. I asked them to give me a day and time when we could meet in person; I'm willing to make the trip.
Hmmm, maybe they aren't fond of entertaining the idea of installing someone's equipment that they don't use or they're not familiar with. Thats still not detailed enough to say, but I promise that if you came off in a way that was "I'm a hobbyist that knows what he's talking about and want to use this equipment that a bunch of guys online told me to get", no one is going to be enthusiastic to follow up (not saying that's what you did, but just bringing up the point). That said, if all else down there fails, let me know when you want to come up to NY :)

Reactions: The Italian

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I get what you're saying brother, but it's not like that at all. Give me a few and I'll show you what I sent them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Here, check it out. This is one of the layouts that I sent them.

Do you think that comes across like an arrogant guy who is a know it all? My intention is to actually make things easier for them. It's the reason why I asked so many questions in this forum l. I've never been a guy who's full of himself even when I know a topic very well. I am humble and always interested in learning from others. The situation is just generally frustrating, you know?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Hell, I'm just going to share this anyway. This is exactly what I sent them along with the diagrams.

Registered
I don't know who you have checked with, and I'm not going to read all of your threads to find out, so forgive me if this has already been suggested.
Audio X, Florence, AL
Owner - Steve Cook
+1 256-764-4111

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
@SkizeR, you're not usually this quiet...especially on a topic that you probably deal with regularly. I'm wondering if you would take anything I've sent to the shop in my part of the country as negative? I actually make and customize products for customers and I find it incredibly helpful when a customer has a good idea of what they want; but maybe this industry is different and you would certainly know that. Thanks!

Registered
Here, check it out. This is one of the layouts that I sent them. View attachment 271581

Do you think that comes across like an arrogant guy who is a know it all? My intention is to actually make things easier for them. It's the reason why I asked so many questions in this forum l. I've never been a guy who's full of himself even when I know a topic very well. I am humble and always interested in learning from others. The situation is just generally frustrating, you know?
I mean your whole diagram can be replaced with "i was thinking replace the stock speakers, amps under the seats, and put a sub where the spare tire is."

Honestly I'm not sure what your written paragraph even means.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
This is one of three configurations that I'm considering. I think it's easier for an installer who is pressed for time to look at a quick diagram but you can certainly take a different approach on your own. If you don't understand what I wrote, then I can't help you. I think it's pretty clear. There is nothing complicated here. I'm providing them with information about my particular car, the current system, and the target for an end result.

Registered
What does this mean? "I have ALL measurements taken directly from my car and not online specs"

How could you overwhelm them? "I'm trying to give you solid info but I don't want to overwhelm you with data"

"There are speakers in my D pillars but I didn't include them in my diagrams" Does this mean you want them left stock? Or replaced? Or hooked up? Is this the only thing that you didn't include in your diagram?

This all reads like:
"I'm a hobbyist that knows what he's talking about and want to use this equipment that a bunch of guys online told me to get"

But I'm that guy too, so don't take it personally. Pot, kettle, black over here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
  1. The measurements are actually pretty important. Several things are either not available online, or inconsistent. For example; how much room do you have under a seat without moving the air vents? Good thing to know if you want to use cool air to run across the heatsink
  2. If they are too busy too take 15 minutes to talk to a customer, they will probably not be doing your installation. The information I provided them is enough for them to judge whether they want the job or not. Why send them additional details at this early stage?
  3. I already talked to one of his employees about excluding the D pillar speakers as well as the center channel. Hell, I barely want to use the rear door speakers
  4. If a shop only wants to deal with customers who come in and say "I know nothing and I have an unlimited budget. Do with me what you will", then it's probably not someone I would do business with. I don't understand why knowledge would be intimidating to a true professional. I'm not claiming to know more than they do and I've been pretty clear about my willingness to change any decisions based on their input.
I don't see any reason to be scared of these guys. I think that some people are less intimidated about challenging their cardiovascular surgeon than to say what's on their minds at these shops. Makes zero sense imo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts