DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what happened.
About 2 weeks ago my driver side components went out, followed by a very loud static distortion sound across the whole system. I have not had time to trouble shoot anything until today. It was raining when the speakers gave out and I believe water got into the crossover that is located inside the driver side door and some how managed to fry the RCA output from the HU, and basically the whole HU now because I have a terrible road noise. I disconnected the driver side speakers from my Zapco 360, you can now at least turn the HU on without an unbearable distortion sound.

The HU is a Pioneer 980bt, so I know the RCAs are very sensitive, and now I think the HU is junk. Has anyone ever had any luck fixing these? I want it fixed, not patched up with some RCA to ground work around. I had zero road noise/alt whine before and now its un-listenable. GDDDDDDD this sux, I hate car audio.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yea its probably fried but are u able to put a ring terminal on it somewhere and ground it to a bolt or screw in the dash? I had a similar issue with my pioneer about 6 years ago. I was messin around with the amp and being stupid (my 1st system) and somehow shorted the rca and had a issue ever since then with altinator whine. Luckily it was in the sub and you really couldnt notice it. Also a few months later i was listening to music with the truck off and the sub wouldnt hit worth a ****. It sounded like it was being fed 10 watts, really weak sounding and almost like low end static. It may have been my amp which was a bazooka monoblock bought from circuit city but it sounded fine with the engine running.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's a pico fuse issue. There are several tutorials one how to do it correctly and a quick solution. There is one on caraudioclassifieds.org i would link it but I'm on my phone.

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Never place crossovers inside the door =/

The picofuse on Pioneers is a common issue if you hotswap RCAs for example, if the fuse breaks it creates an highly audible generator whine. This can be fixed, shouldn't be very expensive to repair. Doubt that your problem relates to the picofuse though, might be something else. Try the RCA-ground workaround and find out whether it helps or not... Also check the crossover so it isn't full of water or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts