DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is 190 Watts @ 4 ohms enough power for a 8 or 10in sub with a rating of 250 or 300 watts / 500 watts peak @ 4 ohms?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well one of the main reasons i ask is i have read that you usually want an amp to have more then what the speaker can handle or else you can damage your speaker from too little power... hence my worry :) if not i'll just pick up the Lanzar 2x150d and 1x300D and that should be plenty

·
Registered
28 Posts
You will never damage a speaker from to little power. The reason people damage there speakers with smaller amps is because they dont get the output they are looking for so they drive the gain up which causes the amp to clip sending a square wave instead of rounded to the voice coil which damages the speaker. Its always nice to leave a little headroom that way u can play with the levels depending on the output you want

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok.. i mean like i said i would be runnin this setup

Amp
Arc Audio Foose FD 2100FD 190 Watts @ 4 Ohms Bridged

Sub
Memphis Audio 10in 15PR10S4
250 RMS / 500 Peak

so just don't turn my gain all the way up then i suppose huh

Thanks for all the info guys, learning tons today :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I see no problems with that pairing. I ran a single ten in a minivan with a weaker amp than that and I didnt need much gain to blend.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
great.. i know that the arc's are all pretty clean and they tend to underrate there performance for some reason :)

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
You will never damage a speaker from to little power. The reason people damage there speakers with smaller amps is because they dont get the output they are looking for so they drive the gain up which causes the amp to clip sending a square wave instead of rounded to the voice coil which damages the speaker. Its always nice to leave a little headroom that way u can play with the levels depending on the output you want
As you can see from the link I posted, it's not always that cut and dry. You can play a square wave forever through a speaker as long as the increased average power it puts to the coil does not cause it to reach a critical temperature.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
So yeah too little power will blow a speaker.

Try finding an old school amp that would at least 300x1 rms. There's a bunch of hidden jems on ebay. Ie. Coustic 360 and above comes to mind.

I would stick with a avg brand name if price would be an issue. Ie. Pioneer, sony, kenwood,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts