DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after i finished installing my Midbasses and putting my tweets in some makeshift positions in my car it sounds absolutely fantastic...with the added sub that is (noticed something was missing without it). And the midbass is GREAT i just need even more than i have. Right now my crossover points are looking like sub - 60hz 12db, midbass - 60hz 18db up to 2.5k-3k 12db and tweet from 2.5k-3k 12db (old HE2 12 is being used right now till i build my box for the Tempest). As far as the instillation goes the door is completely deadened inside and out 2 additional outter layers behind midbasses and a layer of ensolite on the 2 additional outter layers, ensolite on complete inner door panel above deadener. The car sounds awesome cept a few things here and there i wish i had different (new HU) and right now it looks like crap.....amps and all on a piece of plywood in the rear till i build my box to mount them on. But how can i get just a little more midbass out of the drivers as i've heard the midbass is supposed to be really good from them, and it is...i just think i'm not getting out of them as much as i could.

PS i still need to mess around more with phasing and such, to get a very good center image, but the only problem is i can't hardly recognize a center image at all.....is it just me or is it a fxn of my stock HU?

Any ideas?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Sounds like a mid-sub integration problem if you're not getting enough kick?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what would you suggest to fix the kick i should be getting......The car is really deep....i mean it sounds awesome, but would just like more in the midbass region...not even sure what frequencies i'm lacking in....gonna burn a 20-20k hz sweep and try tommorrow to see.

·
Registered
415 Posts
?

have you tried switching the phase on your sub?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i tried that, i need to double check it thought, as i remember Awhile back before i took the sub out first time, that i had to mess with the phase on the amp to get it to blend right before......i had to use the 180 switch on my active DX-28 to make it sound right with the new stuff so mabey it could be both the amp and crossover mixing the phasing and all......

·
Registered
530 Posts
flip polarity on mids or sub?might shift image forward a bit, stock door panel speaker grill might be limiting if the speaker is off-set behind it ,the little things

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Panel isin't on it yet....car is basically still completely gutted cept front carpet, center console and driver and pas. seats (dash).....rear is out...door panels off, a-pillar panels off....and such.

·
Registered
206 Posts
How about just changing the crossover point or slope of the mid/sub.
You don't need to cross that low with those speakers, 80-70hz LP with a 12db slope would seem more ideal for the tempest - since it plays fairly well to 150hz.
80-70hz HP for the seas with a 12db slope would seem more ideal as well, and since it's natural attenuation looks like it starts around 100hz.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be putting my tempest into the car as soon as i get a box built for it, as of now the sub is my old RF HE2 12. I have the Seas IB in my front doors, i want as much bass up front as possible....tommorrow i'll check out a few different xover points and such, and we'll see what happens from there. Going to start building my sub box here in a few days so hopefully the Tempest will be going in soon after that. I will be having one hell of a wierd shaped box so it may take quite awhile. Parts of it will be f-glass others MDF.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Seal the doors with Raammat bxt...creats an IB affect...should help in the midbass response

·
Registered
221 Posts
demon2091tb said:
gonna burn a 20-20k hz sweep and try tommorrow to see.
Wouldn't you want to burn some individual frequencies too? Like say 60 hz, 70 hz, 80, hz, on up. This has told me a lot about my system that I already suspected (sissyfied midbass).

If you like exagerated midbass like me, you might just have to eq some frequencies. I eq'd 100 and 160 hz up with my RE comps and liked it a little better.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea i'm going to be burning a complete test cd basically i just need to find all of the files i want, and phasing and such as well.

BTW doors are already completely sealed as in IB. except as of right now a few plastic panel holder thingys that hold the door panel on...those are the only holes as of now.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Messing around with my sub/midbass integration today i got it pretty nice for SQ music and such, as for rap it sucks, but i don't listen to it that much. But today i also noticed that one reason my midbass could also be lacking is the fact that my Stock HU has built in EQ curves for the old speakers, slight EQ curves that i've manipulated with the treb and bass settings on the HU to try to audibly make it sound as flat as possible...but still isint really enough, but i've noticed that there is a bump in my midrange frequencies which could be the reason why my midbass may be lacking its umph like i had been looking for. Will try to get a new HU as soon as possible, (wanting a 8053 extreemly bad) but i doubt i will be able to get any new equip any time soon. which sucks, as my parents still have a say in what i can and can't spend my money on, as i'm still living with them and going to school. But as of now it sounds fantastic as is.....but theres still TONS of room for improvement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts